Hydaelyn Role-Players
Observational Question(s) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Observational Question(s) (/showthread.php?tid=1977)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Observational Question(s) - allgivenover - 05-18-2013

I understand your reasoning and you make a good point that's changing my understanding of it in a way, but I don't think it's reasonable to make the assumption the use of the term was a company wide, conscious decision on the part of SE's English speaking staff to use this and all other terminology a certain way. We're after all talking about one post by one community representative on a forum subsection that may or may not be of particularly high priority for SE in terms of ARR's development at the moment. There are a dozen unanswered questions on the lore forum, you could find among them a post I made asking to clarify aspects of Keeper lore that was made very shortly after the lore forum opened. That post, like many others, was left unanswered by any persons with authority. So I see no reason to inquire there again before phase 3.

I suppose all I can claim with any certainty is that the way they've presented this bit of lore is flawed in that it allows room for ambiguity and disagreements like this one.

RE: Observational Question(s) - Rhostel - 05-18-2013

Read my post again. I explained exactly how the limited population of males fits the nuhn system developing near the end. It's only extrapolation, not stated lore, but you're only asking for a possible explanation as far as I can tell.

Point is, the males are fewer, not unique or even rare, just uncommon. If they were equal in number to the females, monogamy would be plausible and probably desirable for genetic diversity. With disproportionate numbers, polygamy becomes necessary for survival. Because there's no limit on the number of mates a male could have, they compete to have as many as they can. The male who can attract the most mates gets to father most of the next generation, until another male overthrows him.  This series of upheavals continues because it helps avoid close inbreeding as a necessity, and becomes a cultural tradition.

And again, using the word race there doesn't mean the Keepers are a race. It means the trait in question is one that applies to the entire Miqo'te race, and saying Clan, while a touch more grammatically correct, would mislead everyone into thinking it's a trait exclusive to the Keepers. Clarity of intent is more important than absolutely perfect grammar. Since the only possible way to interpret it as you have is by being a stickler for grammar, I can only suggest you loosen up a bit. Rolleyes

RE: Observational Question(s) - allgivenover - 05-18-2013

And there we see why proper grammar is so important when it comes to official sources! I feel that you're attempting to trivialize my position on the matter by saying that it can be only be held by being a stickler for grammar, but that isn't true, if Gildrein meant to imply that infrequent male birth was consistent across both Miqo'te clans then he did so rather ineffectively, wouldn't you agree? As it stands we have the term race and how you believe it's been used consistently by SE versus the placement and phrasing of the information presented. Given the reasoning that the both of you posted I admit that there's some validity to casting doubt on my conclusion about Keeper and Seeker males. However, I still haven't seen or read anything that effectively erases all ambiguity on the subject with certainty. What was presented by Gildrein was done so poorly and your assertion that the way the term race is used by SE is as you stated extrapolation.  

I assure you I am quite loosened up and am very open to the idea that I'm simply wrong about this, but if you mean to badger me into accepting your position as the truth of it and that there's no validity to questioning your conclusion that all Miqo'te males are born less frequently than females, then I'll have you know that you're wasting your time because as it stands it's ambiguous until we get more from SE, and sadly we've a few weeks until phase 3 yet.

RE: Observational Question(s) - Momoji Momochi - 05-18-2013

Hi everyone! I just happen to be a beta tester and since the NDA was lifted for purposes of talking about character creation and Gridania, I'm here to answer what I can about the state of Gridania five years later (to the best of my ability... there was a lot of stuff going on).

To answer the question on how vast the devastation was after Bahamut's attack, Gridania is now divided into Old Gridania (an area that will be familiar to 1.0 players) and New Gridania. Unfortunately, I haven't played the original in over a year and do not remember whether there was a "New Gridania" back then, but I'm assuming there wasn't since there is no mention of such a division in the Wiki resources I am using. If the size of New Gridania is any indication of the level of devastation wrought upon the city, slightly more than half of Gridania was destroyed or in need of heavy repair. To give some perspective on the damage, New Gridania extends just north of the large, central Aetherite crystal (the homepoint, not the small ones around town) all the way to the Northernmost edge of the city. It then extends along the horizontal axis all the way from the edge of the lake on the east side of the city to the western most side of the city. If there wasn't originally a lake marking the eastern border of Gridania, I'm happy to inform you there now exists such a lake. A very pretty lake, in fact. Big Grin

As for the state of affairs, the Gridanians have been working tirelessly at rebuilding their home. The Lancers Guild is up and running at the North-East edge of town along the lakeside; the amphitheater, although demolished, is being hastily rebuilt; and, among other things, the merchants have returned to sell their wares. The seed-seers haven't suffered much of a loss in terms of property damage considering their guild-house happens to be built like a plainsfolk's basement. As you can imagine, the seed-seers have much worse problems to deal with than property loss. You'll hear a lot more about that next month when the NDA gets fully lifted. Smile

P.S. Hi, Xenedra! I sent you a PM with a link to where the partial NDA lift is described. I also double checked with the resources available to beta testers, and the partial NDA lift is described in there as well. As long as what I'm talking about is within Gridania itself and not some technical aspect of the game (graphics, bugs, etc), I'm allowed to talk about it. However, I cannot talk about the Black Shroud or anything else outside Gridania's walls. I take the NDA very seriously and if my post still makes you feel uncomfortable, feel free to delete it again. Just let me know if you do so I don't repeat anything I've said here.

A link to reddit stating the Partial NDA lift:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1d8hn4/partial_nda_lift_character_creation_new_gridania/

RE: Observational Question(s) - Xenedra - 05-18-2013

Nope, all I asked for was proof and you've given it o7! Mayhaps we'll have to write up a little nda update later, thanks for your contributions : )