Hydaelyn Role-Players
ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ (/showthread.php?tid=8803)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Erik Mynhier - 10-30-2014

(10-30-2014, 09:49 AM)Inessa Hara Wrote:
Show Content

This is the scenario I expect actually. Not what I want mind you, but these stories and plots in this game.... every damn one of them resemble, seem to be based off of, or are damn sight ripped off of older FF games or games made by the creators of said games. I have played religiously these games since FF1 on the NES, and I'm often surprised when no one notices something then I remember I'm old now and the game being referenced is 20+ years old.

Show Content

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Roen - 10-30-2014

So many speculations!

I am just excited/curious/anxious to see how this story will develop.

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Nyalie Lihzeh - 10-30-2014

Can I make my guesses?

Show Content

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Coatleque - 10-30-2014

Something else to consider:
Show Content

{edit}
And now having finished the MSQ myself, I can only re-iterate what I considered above.

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Sounsyy - 10-31-2014

So...

I'mma just leave this here...

And listen to all the minds go pop...

Show Content

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Gaspard - 10-31-2014

Whichever way this turns out, I'm pretty sure that, until we get our next MSQ fix come next patch, all this speculating is somewhat trivial in regards to the RP scenery. So far no clear result/action has been taken, and as such there's nothing to act upon. We know what the Sultana wants to do OOCly, but Icly's nothing changed. 'yet'.

However, 'should' things change down for the general RP scope, then yeah, everyone's who's involved in some way with Ul'dahs government will have to figure out a way to adapt his story to the changes appropriately. I guess this especially rings true for the Sultansworn, but that's what happens when you attach yourself to IC NPC's role wise. There's always the probability that something will happen with those characters.

Infact, it's more likely that, in progression, the main cast of the NPC's will end up doing drastic/dramatical things, because that is how stories are told in MMO's most times. Kings fall, heroes rise, etc. FFXIV wouldn't be the first to do it, and I wouldn't find it irresponsible on their behalf at all if they end up doing drastic changes to Ul'dah.

Also, for the argument that they'd have to re-write the entire storylines and quest lines etc by then ; 

Nope.

Given the MSQ acts like a progression, It would actually make more sense to keep NPC dialogue etc etc as it is. You 'start' as a hero imbued with the echo, back at that time post calamity, and progress bit by bit in the MSQ up to the current events. You should remember that MMO's don't follow a fixed timeline principle where everyone must, at all times, be present in the very same continuity/timeline with their characters. That's a necessity for Roleplayers, but not MMO's.

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Warren Castille - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 02:43 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: So...

I'mma just leave this here...

And listen to all the minds go pop...

Show Content

Curious if that's what you think it is.

Show Content

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Coatleque - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 07:25 AM)Gaspard Wrote: ...
Nope.

Given the MSQ acts like a progression,...

I knew someone would make this argument, and for the MSQ you are correct. But there are many questlines that fall outside of this progression, such as the Paladin job quests which people -could- do after the MSQ. All of these quests would have to be updated in order to make sense. Even if it's just a dialogue change. But it also would not make sense to keep Jenlyns in the Husting Strip.

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Warren Castille - 10-31-2014

It could conceivably get pushed under a rug, but it still seems like a pain in the ass. Jenylns would hold no station any longer, the fugitive plot would fall apart because the Sultanate trying to bring the traitor to justice doesn't exist any longer, and in general the feel would just change immensely. Not saying that's a bad thing; Look at how many class quests are the "this used to be a group, now it's decimated" variety. Paladin would technically be falling in line with those.

Just seems strange for one job to get all of the attention in this way.

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Gaspard - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 08:36 AM)Coatleque Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 07:25 AM)Gaspard Wrote: ...
Nope.

Given the MSQ acts like a progression,...

I knew someone would make this argument, and for the MSQ you are correct.  But there are many questlines that fall outside of this progression, such as the Paladin job quests which people -could- do after the MSQ.  All of these quests would have to be updated in order to make sense.  Even if it's just a dialogue change.  But it also would not make sense to keep Jenlyns in the Husting Strip.

It would make the sidequests story timeline dependent, sure, but that's how it goes usually in MMO's. There's probably various other sidequests that have already been torn apart continuity wise, Or anything featuring garlean commentary. Within the MSQ, you end up defeating Gaius and Ultima Weapon, this in itself probably retcons a handful of NPC dialogue/material aimed at you prior to those events. Ofcourse that's only a theoretical, but I could very well imagine that to be the case. As is with many other MMO's (For example Swtor). Where you have a plethora of dungeons/Quests you needn't run, but which throw the story on its head (For example, you end up killing the Emperor, you end up killing Darth Malgus, all of which are bound tightly in various NPC actions, Main and sidequest alike).

I guess the main point to keep in mind is that we as Roleplayers aren't the number one concern, and that continuity needs only to be established within the main characters story progression. If the rest doesn't fit 100 percent, that's something we as roleplayers stumble over, but the rest probably pays absolutely no mind/heed to.

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Sounsyy - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 07:26 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
Show Content

Show Content

EDIT! Found text - check spoiler ^

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Kage - 10-31-2014

Meanwhile since we're talking MSQ...

Anyone else wondering about Aymeric's sword? It looks like a model of the curtana @_@

(10-31-2014, 09:59 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 07:26 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
Show Content

Show Content

Ooh, good catch. I didn't manage to connect those things at the time.

New pet theory: EVERYONE is a secret Garlean, and all of the secret Garlean roleplayers are actually sleeper agents disguised to counteract the empire.

(10-31-2014, 10:06 AM)Kage Wrote: Meanwhile since we're talking MSQ...

Anyone else wondering about Aymeric's sword? It looks like a model of the curtana @_@

I'm guessing lazy palette swaps. Curtana's the only huge one-handed sword in the game like that, everything else is thin or a curved blade.

RE: ULDAH MSQ - If you RP in Ul'dah you should finish MSQ - Marisa - 11-01-2014

Not really related to Ul'dah, but since we're talking about potentially RP-changing 2.4 content,

Show Content

Show Content