Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplaying the bad guy - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Roleplaying the bad guy (/showthread.php?tid=11756)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Roleplaying the bad guy - Hyrist - 05-28-2015

(05-28-2015, 11:51 AM)Telluride Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 11:46 AM)Hyrist Wrote: Not sure how one plays an antagonist in a dungeon where the only mechanical role a player can play in there is a protagonist. Maybe a 'traitor' scene at the end?

Amdapoor Keep HM?

Attack the party while fighting the Boogyman, and pretend that he made you do it?

I just find it limiting.

You can utilize portions of it as you clear through the dungeon, but exploration, investigation, deep plot development and cut-scenes using these dungeons usually has me conflicting with that 90 minute average timer. Then there's the fact that you've got the 5 minute cut-off when you clear it, so you really have to go through it in stages, and then either utilize the mechanics within, or clear and ignore them.

Meanwhile, a few hours in Photoshop and I can  transform an entire dungeon into something atmospherically different entirely, give my players a unique experience that the in-game mechanics never could. That sort of inspiration makes me want to go a step further for my players and unfortunately the limitations of time and monster placement really don't provide that.

RE: Roleplaying the bad guy - Fox - 05-29-2015

(05-28-2015, 11:21 AM)Emberhair Wrote: I'd quickly like to thank everyone who has been posting here. I started this thread only a few days ago and the feedback has been incredible.

I thank you.

To expand the discussion further, another point I would like to discuss is..

Has anyone had success in using an existing duty (trial 4man, 8man dungeon etc.) effectively in their RP? To keep on topic, how do you think villains and story tellers could effectively utilise these? 

We used Deep croft in the creation of HoC. The characters had to find an object that was taken there and was hidden. The plot was a device for the chars to prove themselves to the NPC leader of the company. It was a lot of fun and we had plenty enough time to do this. Most of it was dialogue and no actions except a few considering time restraints.

We did not use the Deep croft lore story but we used the npc bads to kill and what not and the back story was still intact. We just used dark magic users happened and used our own story.

RE: Roleplaying the bad guy - Oats McGoats - 05-31-2015

(05-24-2015, 12:17 PM)Emberhair Wrote: LONG STORY SHORT: Has anyone else here ever roleplayed the bad guy, and what issues or successes have you found roleplaying this particular type of character?

I'm not sure I would necessarily call a character who is a dick a "bad guy." But yes, I have played Mr. and Miss Unpopular from time to time, hehe.

I find the best way to do it and actually get character interaction and development with others is to have rare moments of vulnerability that hint at the reason behind their unpleasantness. 

I would also NEVER recommend playing a character who behaves this way for no reason. Every personality is a product of its environment and developed triggers. Define the reasons for his or her behavior before you roleplay them, and I think you'll be gold.

Also, OOC apologies for your character never hurt. ;P

RE: Roleplaying the bad guy - Viola - 06-03-2015

Way back when (like early 2000s), I used to roleplay a character that most would consider a villain.

Damn good with a greatsword too. His name was Cael, but that is as far as I'm going with the past.