Hydaelyn Role-Players
The New Guy - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The New Guy (/showthread.php?tid=11876)

The New Guy - Mheira - 06-02-2015

Hello everyone. 
I'm new to FF14, not new to roleplaying (over 15 yrs experience) and I'm trying to find a right place here to start.
As I'm from the EU (Germany to be precise) I started on Shiva as I've heard that's the unofficial EU rp server, but all I can find is a Miqo'te clan website and links to the Balmung community.
Am I in the right place?

Any Shiva players here to guide me? Or should I switch servers?
What's your advice?

RE: The New Guy - Rosamund - 06-02-2015

Not heard anything about Shiva, I'm afraid. Balmung does have an active EU community though! The European Directory lists events, linkshells and FCs that are friendly to our timezones but there's pretty much RP going on round the clock since we have players from both sides of the pond here. Whether you transfer or not is entirely up to you though! Hope that helps. Smile

RE: The New Guy - Mheira - 06-03-2015

I see. That's what I thought. I love to stumble over rp occassionally when I'm levelling, that's when I feel 'at home' and so far, I've seen nothing on Shiva, sadly.
So maybe I'm going to switch over. Or simply start over with a new toon (haven't levelled that far yet).

Any suggestions on character? I started a Miqo'te but it seems that's just like 90% of the community *g* (I get why. They're fluffy!) 

As I'm new to the world I'm open to suggestions (just to prevent me from entering a tavern and getting weird 'awww not another one of those' looks) ;P

I also like to fill in gaps, ic as well as in pve likewise. I was aiming for the scholar class role as I love supporting characters (also, I like faeries) but it felt like half of the players where doing the same... but maybe that' s just how it looks in Limsa Lominsa.

So ... any ideas?

RE: The New Guy - Rosamund - 06-03-2015

(06-03-2015, 12:55 AM)Mheira Wrote: Any suggestions on character? I started a Miqo'te but it seems that's just like 90% of the community *g* (I get why. They're fluffy!) 

As I'm new to the world I'm open to suggestions (just to prevent me from entering a tavern and getting weird 'awww not another one of those' looks) ;P

Honestly? Play whatever you enjoy. There are a lot of miqo'te but that shouldn't stop you from playing one if you wish (hasn't stopped me haha). SE did a breakdown of race, job popularity for 2014 if that helps though.

(06-03-2015, 12:55 AM)Mheira Wrote: I also like to fill in gaps, ic as well as in pve likewise. I was aiming for the scholar class role as I love supporting characters (also, I like faeries) but it felt like half of the players where doing the same... but maybe that' s just how it looks in Limsa Lominsa.

I'm pretty sure that's just because you're in Limsa, since the Arcanists' Guild is there. The last census shows scholar being slightly less popular than white mage but, again, pick whatever appeals to you most. You can always level the other one later if you get to 50 and decide you don't like it. Smile

Thanks for the answers, Inarah, that does help Smile

Those breakdown charts help, too, seeing that in 2014 the class roles are almost evened out.

Also, the popularity of the Miqo'te (especially the Keepers of the Moon, where my Mheira comes from) isn't as high as I expected so I won't feel bad playing one.

On the other hand, according to those breakdowns, the least popular combination would be a "Female Sea Wolf Roegadyn Monk".

I think I'll leave that as another option as I definately wanted to try out a melee character (and other than Miqo'te, I only find Rogaedyn intrigueing. Elezen have strange head/body-proportions, Lalafell look like baby Elezen and the other are just humans... as in "boring").

So I guess I'll stay with my little Mheira for now, thanks!
Next obstacle will be to create a character on Balmung.
Wish me luck!

RE: The New Guy - Ginal - 06-03-2015

Actually I know someone on Shiva you might talk to, my friend Ovaela Bloodwed. Big Grin  I don't know if she's a dedicated role player, but she at least dabbles.  She lives in the states though, so may not always be around when you are because of time differences.

And on Malboro where I'm from, I manage all things story, lore and rp related in my free company, with my friend Selah.  We've got a moderate amount of people who participate fairly often. Smile

RE: The New Guy - Mountie - 06-03-2015

Not to sound biased, though I am, I think that you're looking for the experience that the Balmung server has to offer. The only issue is that the Balmung server is notoriously tricky to get into, however I actually made a post recently about the best way to get into the server that led to some other tips being offered as well [here]. I do hope it helps!

Alternatively, if you've no-mind to reroll anything about your character and you have the money to spare, a server swap is not hindered by creation limitations and will let you get right in with everyone so long as the character has been around for at least three actual days.

Regardless, welcome to the community, and I hope to see you around.

P.S. Hyur are the most common, but even then don't let anyone decide what you're doing. In an RP community you become special through the way you play your character, not the way they look!

As kind as Ginals offer may be, I also think that Balmung would be the best choice for me.
Yeah I thought so that it would be tricky to get on Balmung. I guess I will try a few times to create a character on Balmung during late nights/early mornings for the next couple of days hoping to get lucky. 
If I'm out of luck I will spend a few bucks for the transfer, I guess...

So, one way or another, see you soon on Balmung.
Thanks for the replies!

RE: The New Guy - Mountie - 06-03-2015

Best of luck lass, and we shall see you soon!

RE: The New Guy - Rosamund - 06-03-2015

(06-03-2015, 10:03 AM)Mheira Wrote: Yeah I thought so that it would be tricky to get on Balmung. I guess I will try a few times to create a character on Balmung during late nights/early mornings for the next couple of days hoping to get lucky.

I find it tends to be open from about 8 am until 1 pm GMT+1 during the work week. It's just at weekends where you're not going to have any luck regardless of the hour.