Hydaelyn Role-Players
How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? (/showthread.php?tid=12251)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Melkire - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 07:30 PM)Thorgar Wrote: odd question if they put in transmog for armor and weapons, what would that do to this conversation?

It's already in FFXIV. It's referred to as "glamor" but accessing and using it requires having a level 50 character.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Thorgar - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 07:33 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 07:30 PM)Thorgar Wrote: odd question if they put in transmog for armor and weapons, what would that do to this conversation?

It's already in FFXIV. It's referred to as "glamor" but accessing and using it requires having a level 50 character.
cool, didnt know of that system.  another reason to hit 50 (besides want a dark knight lol)

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Nero - 06-24-2015

You'll have to clarify. There's already a glamour system that allows people to overwrite the appearance of their armor, but I do believe that it's limited by class, job, and level (i.e. a level 25 pugilist can't glamour their armor to look like they're a level 50 Monk).

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Kage - 06-24-2015

No one's quite addressed my comment about RPing and if there was no way to see someone else's level. The game or yourself (I know some play without the nameplates etc) does not allow you to see a character's level (or even name). Through player search or clicking.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Melkire - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 07:44 PM)Kage Wrote: No one's quite addressed my comment about RPing and if there was no way to see someone else's level. The game or yourself (I know some play without the nameplates etc) does not allow you to see a character's level (or even name). Through player search or clicking.

Then I, personally, would be without a few tools that help give me at least some forewarning of what to expect out of individuals I come into contact with.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Thorgar - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 07:42 PM)Nero Wrote:

You'll have to clarify. There's already a glamour system that allows people to overwrite the appearance of their armor, but I do believe that it's limited by class, job, and level (i.e. a level 25 pugilist can't glamour their armor to look like they're a level 50 Monk).
i was thinking of the Guild Wars 2 system that let you take the looks for armor and weapons that you like and transpose them onto you current gear.  I've seen that used a lot to perfect a look for RP.  I was just wondering how that system would alter some issues if you could have your character look like you want and wield what you want because you changed the looks versus actually working towards that goal in game.

as i said an odd thought. Smile

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Meena - 06-24-2015

Unfortunately for us, role players have a lot of stigma attached to them which makes participation in end game hard. What kind of stigma am I talking about? well...

In the past and recently i've noticed many issues with forming an all roleplayer read group. This doesn't apply to every roleplayer, in fact it might not apply to most but they are trends i've encountered.

These all relate to these three factors:

1. lack of PVE knowledge - This is a big one, it is easy to sign up for a group but it is hard to actually perform well. The rotation you may be used to may not be the best for optimal dps. Those shoes? despite being a higher ilevel could be the complete wrong stats for your class. Aside from that, lack of preparation for fights - not knowing exactly the full utility of your class. People often confuse Gear level with DPS output and this isn't the case, I've seen Monks in gear 10 points lower then others out dps monks in all bet in slot.

2. Raid Attendance - I hate to say this, but roleplayers aren't well known for their punctuality. Ever. As a raid leader, you want someone who will always put the raid first and not their lovey dovey chance roleplay scene. Dropping the group one day just to finish a roleplay is not acceptable in a PVE'rs eyes and can often lead to disruptions in the group as a whole. Raids need to operate on schedule with your dedicated group for a team to build, If you don't show up, how are you going to bond with your team mates? know instinctively their move patterns. you won't. Dont fret, though - if something drastic happens, like a real life issue - most groups are understanding.

3. Unrealistic Expectations & Receiving criticism - A lot of roleplayers i've met often have (when it comes to raids) strange expectations. You're not going to down it on your first attempt - if its new content, it might even take you a month to get past the first phase. This is normal - this is called progression raiding. However what comes with progression raiding is advice and council from your team members. Don't feel offended if someone tells you the parser has shown you to be doing low dps, go at a striking dummy and research what you need to do to change things so you and your raid group can continue. Big Grin 

All in all, I think roleplay wise - It isn't important but if you wish to be serious about PVE too, please take int consideration the fact that others put a lot of time into PVE compared to other aspects of the game and will have at last minimal expectations of you. don't be -that guy- who cancels raid for roleplay. Show up, you can always continue rp on skype.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Chris Ganale - 06-24-2015

Meena, I've noticed that you seem to hammer pretty hard on this concept you've got that roleplayers = bad raiders. It stood out strongly after that one attempt to farm t1 but I didn't want to say anything at the time because I didn't want to sound like an asshole and knew that I was likely to get called out for subpar dps on a job I don't main despite consistently being one of the last people standing on every wipe. That aside, the point is you seem to have this axe to grind against roleplayers being able to raid.

But you yourself are a role-player.

[Image: 4f74d22c30208.png]

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Meena - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 09:05 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: snip.
Aye, I do. I have certain expectations of all players, not just roleplayers.

However I do admit I can lose my temper at times, especially when year and a half old content inst' clearable with a party of people in full poetics-rank gear or around.

yes, I roleplay, but in moderation. I have a weekly static and progress through both PVE content and enjoy roleplay. This isn't about one particular instance it is about my two year observations. I've formed many statics only to have members drop out for roleplay scenes, to not know the full rotation of their classes.

There is no need to insult me with memes or the kind when I'm just trying to offer helpful advice. I'm not speaking from just my perspective but - as part of a PVE guild - this is the perspective of /many/ players.

Also if you will read, I did state that my post didn't apply to everyone, so don't take personal offense. ^^

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Aaron - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 07:09 PM)Roda Wrote: ITT: Why RP is hard without a DM.

Personally I'd prefer it if people treated the entire game as a singular tool and (rather loose) ruleset for RP instead of just the chat box and the /roll function. (Srsly wtb dueling)  That's just more immersive to me and it's why I play the game instead of using tumblr, irc, or a forum.  But this seems to be a clash between roleplaying game philosophy and forum role playing philosophy, and I don't think there's going to be any kind of consensus because it follows preference more than any objective logic. :T
I revoke my earlier post for this ^

If I only looked at the text & /random function id just go write my own fantasy rp story. But I also understand where some "Yes it matters" people are coming from.

Example, lets say you meet two people about to fight you. One is decked out in a endgame armor and probably the most badass glowing weapon in their class, the others in a tunic with a weathered weapon.

Judging from your /characters/ perception from your mind, which would they be more likely to go "This guy might actually kick my ass."

Appearance is just about as important as the actual combat imo. It's why humans even irl are more likely to fight another human than a pit bull. Despite the fact a 160lb human actually has a better chance against a 50lb pit bull than another 160lb human who might know some form of self defense or carry a weapon.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Steel Wolf - 06-24-2015

If appearance didn't play some minor factor in snap character assessment, why all the kerfuffle about the Glamour system?

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-24-2015

[[takes out the magitek mod unit]]

A reminder to not call people out by name and to be nice.

Would prefer to keep this thread open instead of having forcefully cool it down.
[[puts away magitek mod unit]]

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - V'aleera - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 08:40 PM)Intaki Wrote: 3. Unrealistic Expectations & Receiving criticism - A lot of roleplayers i've met often have (when it comes to raids) strange expectations. You're not going to down it on your first attempt - if its new content, it might even take you a month to get past the first phase. This is normal - this is called progression raiding. However what comes with progression raiding is advice and council from your team members. Don't feel offended if someone tells you the parser has shown you to be doing low dps, go at a striking dummy and research what you need to do to change things so you and your raid group can continue. Big Grin
This is not roleplayer specific. In my experience if you want to find a group as rife with drama queens and primadonnas as roleplaying communities, you need look no farther than the raiding communities.

This is due to the fact that both groups share quite more in common than they typically realize. Both roleplayers and raiders are extremely invested in the game and invested in proving their worth. Roleplayers are tend to be very demanding of lore knowledge and adherence, while raiders are the same way with mechanics and theorycrafting. Both roleplayers and raiders play the game in a manner that is typically very ego-centric ("My character would do this and develop like that"/"I need this piece of gear so I can be the best DD in the raid"). That's not a bad thing, necessarily, but it's just something inherent in the types of individuals that will be typically attracted to the activity.

Generalizing one group, especially when coming from a group that is fundamentally similar (if not identical), is not the best game plan.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Nero - 06-24-2015

To address the original topic, it depends--as most things do--on the context.

I personally have never mixed OOC perceptions with IC information, in both positive and negative lights. What I mean by that is that if I'm roleplaying some story with Johnson for a while and his character and my character have interacted fairly regularly, perhaps done some basic RP combat against NPCs and such, and Johnson's character is written as a powerful black mage who can use Enochian, but in-game he's only level 21. In that case, I go with the IC interpretation that his character is a powerful black mage regardless of his in-game level.

On the other hand, let's say I'm out roleplaying in the open world and roleplayer Wilson comes up to me and starts talking about how powerful of a magic user he is ICly. Even if he's levelled every single Disciple of Magic to level 95, his OOC game levels will not make me automatically acknowledge him ICly as a powerful and skilled magic user.

In both cases, OOC characteristics and achievements are completely irrelevant as to how I acknowledge Johnson's character and Wilson's character.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Dis - 06-25-2015

Meena Wrote:don't be -that guy- who cancels raid for roleplay. Show up, you can always continue rp on skype.

No, no we always can't.  A lot of people, myself included, don't believe in Role-play on Skype because that's a strictly OOC environment.  When I'm on Skype, I'm myself, and not my characters. 

That said, yeah, skipping out on a scheduled raid for RP sucks.  I always try to wrap up RP before a scheduled run.