Hydaelyn Role-Players
How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? (/showthread.php?tid=12251)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-24-2015

My Miqo'te is supposed to have a huge dong, but there is no bulge slider.

Sometimes people don't believe how powerful he is ICly. Sad

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - V'aleera - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 05:06 PM)Graeham Wrote: I don't think anybody is trying to dictate what anybody else should be doing.
Of course not. That wouldn't be socially acceptable.

But just by reading some of these posts you can tell that they really, really want to. Not that that's exceptional: almost everyone would make everyone else do things their way if they could wave a magic wand and make it so.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Verad - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 06:53 PM)Dogberry Wrote: Honestly? I simply don't think anyone at level 1 should be claiming mastery. It makes me not even want to bother with the person. They're clearly playing a different game than I am, the one where they get the instant gratification macho power fantasy based on arbitrary parameters, as opposed to the one I'm playing, the one where I get the delayed gratification macho power fantasy based on arbitrary parameters.

Edit: And to actually answer the question... If the Level 1 Pugilist emotes a Dragon Kick, and it hits through the roll off, the Dragon kick hits, and it might even be powerful, but it was bad form. Bad form kicks still hurt.
"I had to grind, so they have to grind."

And is this true even if the post explicitly states that the Dragon Kick has a perfect form?

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Cato - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 06:54 PM)Intaki Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 05:06 PM)Graeham Wrote: I don't think anybody is trying to dictate what anybody else should be doing.
Of course not. That wouldn't be socially acceptable.

But just by reading some of these posts you can tell that they really, really want to.

I'm not really getting that vibe from any of the posts within this thread. It's simply a debate - some people agree, others disagree. At the end of the day, though...if multiple role-players who are unaffiliated with each other are stating that a character doesn't really fit the setting/feels too contrived then there's a pretty high chance that they're correct. Especially if they back it up with relevant sources.

That doesn't mean people have to change their character concept. Not at all - but they should at least have the stones to acknowledge that they don't really have anybody but themselves to blame if others do not wish to interact with them.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Dogberry - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 06:54 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: My Miqo'te is supposed to have a huge dong, but there is no bulge slider.

But there's no dispute that it's barbed, right?

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Dogberry - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 06:58 PM)Verad Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 06:53 PM)Dogberry Wrote: Honestly? I simply don't think anyone at level 1 should be claiming mastery. It makes me not even want to bother with the person. They're clearly playing a different game than I am, the one where they get the instant gratification macho power fantasy based on arbitrary parameters, as opposed to the one I'm playing, the one where I get the delayed gratification macho power fantasy based on arbitrary parameters.

Edit: And to actually answer the question... If the Level 1 Pugilist emotes a Dragon Kick, and it hits through the roll off, the Dragon kick hits, and it might even be powerful, but it was bad form. Bad form kicks still hurt.
"I had to grind, so they have to grind."

And is this true even if the post explicitly states that the Dragon Kick has a perfect form?

Yeah, I leveled the job. They didn't. I don't see why that's bad.

And yes. Their emote is their perception of events. My emotes are mine.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - V'aleera - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 06:58 PM)Graeham Wrote: if multiple role-players who are unaffiliated with each other are stating that a character doesn't really fit the setting/feels too contrived then there's a pretty high chance that they're correct.
A good point for a completely different argument. I'm not seeing how this applies at all to "level=IC power limits" which is the argument being made here.

(06-24-2015, 04:54 PM)Graeham Wrote: We should even be allowed to make jokes at their expense.
And while I have your attention: when can I start making jokes at at a stranger's expense? What is the precise cutoff?

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Verad - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 07:01 PM)Dogberry Wrote: Yeah, I leveled the job. They didn't. I don't see why that's bad.

Because you didn't have to level the job. You chose to level the job. To insist others must sounds less like a principled decision and more like sour grapes.

As for that - if both posts are only perceptions of events, then where is the objective (fictional) reality between them?

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 06:58 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 06:54 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: My Miqo'te is supposed to have a huge dong, but there is no bulge slider.

He's only high enough level to equip weathered barbs.

Someday he'll have high allagan ones.

(06-24-2015, 07:03 PM)Verad Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 07:01 PM)Dogberry Wrote: Yeah, I leveled the job. They didn't. I don't see why that's bad.

Because you didn't have to level the job. You chose to level the job. To insist others must sounds less like a principled decision and more like sour grapes.

As for that - if both posts are only perceptions of events, then where is the objective (fictional) reality between them?

Actually, I do feel I had to level the job I wanted to RP. That's my standard, and if a player doesn't measure up to my standards, I'm no more obligated to RP with them any more than they are obligated to play up to my standard.

The truth lies in the /random in that instance only in that it connected or didn't. Good form, or bad, is a matter of perception.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Roda - 06-24-2015

ITT: Why RP is hard without a DM.

Personally I'd prefer it if people treated the entire game as a singular tool and (rather loose) ruleset for RP instead of just the chat box and the /roll function. (Srsly wtb dueling)  That's just more immersive to me and it's why I play the game instead of using tumblr, irc, or a forum.  But this seems to be a clash between roleplaying game philosophy and forum role playing philosophy, and I don't think there's going to be any kind of consensus because it follows preference more than any objective logic. :T

(06-24-2015, 07:07 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 06:58 PM)Dogberry Wrote:

He's only high enough level to equip weathered barbs.

Someday he'll have high allagan ones.

That's the fun in playing the journey.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Aya - 06-24-2015

♪Just a small town girl!♪
♪Livin' in a lonely world!♪
♪She took the midnight train!♪
♪Goin' anywhere♪

... I thought you said the fun in playing Journey :-]

(06-24-2015, 07:25 PM)Aya Wrote: ♪Just a small town girl!♪
♪Livin' in a lonely world!♪
♪She took the midnight train!♪
♪Goin' anywhere♪

... I thought you said the fun in playing Journey :-]

I'm a level 34 Steve Perry.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Thorgar - 06-24-2015

odd question if they put in transmog for armor and weapons, what would that do to this conversation?