Hydaelyn Role-Players
How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" (/showthread.php?tid=13950)

Pages: 1 2

How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Zelmanov - 10-20-2015

This is just a general curiosity question.

Twists are a spice of the narrative, they can be anywhere from long time coming to spur of the moment.

However, how do you guys go about making a "twist" that isn't seen as an "ass pull"

that is to say, how do you make it that when you are seemingly disarmed and you then pull a dagger out of your boot to retaliate and stay in the game, that it doesn't seem "cheap" or "god modding" or "unfair"

or say, your character has been plotting to betray your group of friends, every action calculated to gain trust and then POW! 

I'd love to hear of positive experiences of perpetrating or being the victim of a twist of these sort. How do you (or did they) drop hints that something is up without giving away what is about to happen?

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Ashe - 10-20-2015

Do I need to explain to you what I suffered from you? haha
I think it's mostly a matter of keeping your OOC cards close and dropping subtle hints. Surprising enough...Ashe too loyal to betray his friends...
As for people like you...Yeah...OOC cards very very close.
Even though you know I'm plotting to try and murder Orrin >>

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Faye - 10-20-2015

1. Foreshadow. Drop hints that are subtle enough they won't give it away and ruin the surprise or be used as fuel for potential metagaming from other role-players, but are memorable enough that someone who's been paying attention can look back and go, "Ooooohhh."

2. Sensibility. Does it make sense that your character would have a dagger stashed in his/her boot?

3. Fairness. Your character bending down and grabbing a dagger from their boot would probably leave them open to attack for a moment.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - MBajihri - 10-20-2015

Like the post above me, foreshadowing is a huge thing for Mhaya's story! There's a story arc that I've been working on for over half a year that I soon plan to launch. There's been several hintings of it for those involved, so it's not going to seem like 'Oh, well, hello left field!'.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Valde - 10-20-2015

Good foreshadowing is all of it. Subtle hints that tie things together and while on their own seem trivial, when brought into a bigger picture they make everything suddenly cohesive. My favorite are hints that can be interpreted many ways, and suddenly you cinch it another and people are truly flabbergasted.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Virella - 10-21-2015

Depending on how severe the consequences are; I flat out tell people as soon heresy gets dropped in Virella's roleplay, she will be playing a snitch, and leave it up to them if they wish to continue. Besides that? Just go with the flow and see what happens! Just when it has dire effects on the other party involved, I will talk with them OOC as well.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Nebbs - 10-21-2015

I'm with dropping hints and clues so at least people can look back and realise. Even better that they pick up the clues and change things so I have to adapt and respond. Nothing is better that the unknown dynamic in RP, which makes playing with others so much better than solo.

To do this you have to really play in a genourus way, and the more you give the better.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - LadyRochester - 10-21-2015

Like Faye said, foreshadow, sensibility, and fairness.

I would also like to add that when you RP a character that is bound to have some twists, that you communicate with other RPers OOCily. Some RPers  love twists, others... Not so much. It's usually a good idea to try to gauge the other RPer's reaction so you don't hurt OOC feelings and such.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Berrod Armstrong - 10-21-2015

I sometimes drop a crucial hint or bit of foreshadowing BEFORE the 'official' start of an arc -- something that many people tend to disregard. Then when things all come together, everyone looks back at it and realizes what they missed. At times it comes in the form of a character I roll, level and roleplay legitimately (Ah, Vindicator Bead...) who turns out to be involved in the turning point. Other times I lay a false trail, or downplay the more important part of the story so that people focus on the big and shiny distraction. 

As for spur of the moment twists, I only let those happen when the planets align just right. Things have to make sense in a way that I won't need to justify it with some convoluted bullshit -- when it happens, the other players are going to know, "Oh shit yeah!"

It's lots of fun, I've managed to pull off a good few in my time.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Aaron - 10-21-2015

I tell em OOC before I even get involved in the arc or whatever.

I'm boring like that.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Vyce - 10-21-2015

I just drop it like a bomb if its plot, and foreshadow in combat.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Teadrinker - 10-21-2015

(10-21-2015, 08:45 AM)Aaron Wrote: I tell em OOC before I even get involved in the arc or whatever.

I'm boring like that.

Depending on the twist this is a necessity.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - -no longer matters- - 10-21-2015

I find in general RP you have to keep the key players involved in the loop, about it or they can get upset. Unless you are DMing a story for others then Twist away in secret like no tomorrow because that adds to the fun.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - SicketySix - 10-21-2015

If the twist does not effect the other person, then I simply just do it.
If the twist is going to be a dick to the player, I warn them first.

RE: How do you guys go about pulling off your "twists" - Mia Moui - 10-21-2015

(10-20-2015, 09:54 PM)Faye Wrote: 1. Foreshadow. Drop hints that are subtle enough they won't give it away and ruin the surprise or be used as fuel for potential metagaming from other role-players, but are memorable enough that someone who's been paying attention can look back and go, "Ooooohhh."

2. Sensibility. Does it make sense that your character would have a dagger stashed in his/her boot?

3. Fairness. Your character bending down and grabbing a dagger from their boot would probably leave them open to attack for a moment.

^^ This.