A Healer's heart (open)

Star Lin

(ooc: This is the start of a FC event that will be going on today with Zero Division. Wish me luck as this is the first time for me to do such an event.)

John slip into the nesting area of the ants just past Cutter's Cry.  'John, this is unwise...' Kit's voice said.  He agree with her, not one of his greatest ideas.  But he had to scout the area before he face Fabrellet in open combat.  Find the best places to have the others to hide, in case he didn't make it.  He wanted to make sure that Fabrellet didn't leave this place to carry on whatever it was that the void was making him do.  'You should at least call Titor or Warren.'

"I know...but I have to have a plan for them," John said.  What worry him was how Fabrellet didn't realize what was speaking to him.  "I wish I had more information on what turn him into this..."

'I think he was already mad when you and him meet.'  Kit was becoming more and more unease.  'We should leave here.  Even the ants are restless.'

He could see it, the clicking and movement of the ants in the area.  Something was upsetting them, far more so then they usually were.  "Just one more place to check and then were out of here.  I'll call Titor and meet him and the others at Black Brush Station."  He made his way up to the raise that over look Cutter's Cry and the ant colony.  No footprints...and no tall void control Hearer.  "Ok, so he isn't here yet.  I'll call and let them know.

'Just hurry...'

John reach up to the linkpearl just as a stone spell hits him in the back.  "Zero...Fabrellet...need help now."  Before he can say more the sleep spell hits, two steps forward as the spell drag his mind down into darkness, and the voices over the linkpearl fading into nothing.

Fabrellet's grin was dark and twisted as he watch the miqo'te move up the raise.  'He' was hiding in one of the ant entrances, his aura keeping the creatures away.  Once the miqo'te had move pass, he slip out, feet silent as he follow, and came up behind him.  He smile, feeling the hate that was so delicious, and 'they' had feed on it for a long time.  Soon they would have more...more to feed on, and more bodies to control.  It would not be long before they would throw open the gate way for the rest of their kind to leave the void.

He watch as the hand reach up to tap at something on the ear and Fabrellet cast Stone at the miqo'te.  He cursed at the other out a message out, quickly casting sleep at the miqo'te before he could tell whoever he call where he was at.  "We musssst hurry...."  Kit's book is thrown off the edge of the raise, "Let the antssss deal with the creature of light."  He grab up John's body and drag it into the shadows of the archway.

• 1 month later...

(ooc: Happens later the night after John and Howl/Ryuuga meet.  Titor if you want you're character to overhear John and Kit, go for it.  Also, sorry for the bit of colorful language.)

Howl stood in front of him...or what look like Howl, only the face was death white, and instead of the blond hue of Howl's hair, it was black as night.  The dark aura was suffocating, forcing out every good thought, every good emotion from him.  "Howl's dead..." he said, smiling at him.  "I felt him die..."

John shook his head, not wanting to believe it.  Howl couldn't be dead...Ryuuga, the creature had to be lying.  "I...I don't believe you."

"Ha, so weak...so cursed," Ryuuga laugh.  "He knew you were weak that's why he didn't come to you."  The other step closer, 'claws' digging into his mind, dragging every dark and sour emotion to the front.  Kit was suddenly in front of him, her gold light trying to push back the darkness surrounding him.  She screeched as his foot came down on her tail, kick her as she attack him.

"STOP IT....LET HER GO!"

"So weak...no one would, could ever love you."  He release her, only to pull out the puglist weapon and slam it into her, and laugh as John scream. "I have seen you cuddling that white hair boy...stealing those Bronco Grease adds..." the rest of the words lost to him as he saw the darkness swirl around them, revealing Khuj'a, Raimy, Khit'to, Titor, Sam.... everyone he cares for, dead in the nothingness.   He try to go to them but he found himself caught fast.

"You just want to be love...to have loving caring arms around you..."  But it wasn't loving arms that encircle him but darkness.  "You're so weak that all you will ever be used for is a good fuck."  John was drowning in it, the words that sounded in his head was making it hard to fight.

"john..." the voice whisper, light and love so close but no strength to answer.

"He didn't come to you because you're weak..."

"John...a dream..."

"You'll never save anyone."

"John...wake up..."

"Weak...cursed...no one to love you....

"JOHN!"

"NO..." John began to scream, swallowing half of it as he sat in the bed.  A second to recognize the Zero Division medbay, waiting to see if Titor had heard him.  There was no sound of movement from the other side of the room and John hope that Titor hadn't been in there.  He scramble for Kit's book, place on a chair at the side of the bed.  "Kit," he whisper, placing his hand on the cover of the book.  He felt her, light and love, chasing the last of the darkness of the nightmare from his mind.  "You're ok."

'Just a nightmare.  Everyone alright.  Going punch him in nose next time.'  John curled around the book, as if his body could protect it from all harm.

"I'm sorry...he step on your tail and kick you..." he whisper.  "I didn't do anything to try and stop him."  He finger the stone in his hand, unable to make out the detail on it in the dark room.  "I'm not a good partner."

'Scare... like I was for you... but now true partners,' Kit said, feeling her light hugging him.

"Kit?" he ask.  "What is this stone for?  Why did it come from your book?"  The light just seem to cuddle into his mind more.  "Please, Kit, they worried that it might be dangerous.  Is it a soulstone, like Lady Maya suggest?"

'It's your...no one else can take it,' she said, much like she had done when Khit'to took the stone from him so they could examine it.  'Bite him next time he tries to take it.'

Yeah, just like she had bite him so that he would release her and she could try to get the stone back to him.  "How long have we been together...no how long have I had your book?  It's been almost 12 years now.  Why won't you tell me what this stone is?"

The light shook against his mind, so afraid.  'Just want to be partners.'

He sigh.  "I want to know Kit and so do the others.  Please trust them...trust me."  He rub his hand over the book, remember how close Howl's weapons came to the book.  He was glad for the treatment that Khuj'a had done to it, even if did manage to dodge out of the way from Ryuuga's attack.  "Will it hurt any of us?"

'Not dangerous,' she said.  'Sleep now?'

"Yeah, sleep now."  He uncurl from around the book but kept his hand on it.  Still, it was some time before John finally found dreamless sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

John step into the hall, leaning back against the door, and waited for a moment to see if he could hear any voices in the mansion.  The house was dark and quiet and lonely, matching his heart.  Even Kit's tiny arms around his neck could seem to get rid of the aching in his heart.  "It would seem..." he whisper, swallowing hard against the tightness in his throat, "that they make such a nice couple..."

It had started at the Flame Festival, watching everything going on off to the side, and as usual keeping out of the way.  He had spoke to Private Guhtgeiswyn for a few minutes, him apologies for her having to search Coerthas when Howl had been in Ul'dah, though he didn't go into details on how he was hurt.  He had still been in shock over how many pies Jancis had eaten, and happy when Khuj'a had come to watch a little bit of the Joust that took place near the end of the festival.  He even arrived at the Grindstone late but it had been worth it.  He had been healing for Flower when strong arms wrap about him, causing him to almost jump out of his skin.

He had spun around, taking in the sight of Howl as he had been before Ryuuga had taken control of his body.  He had thrown his arms around Howl, letting Howl's aether flow over him.  Yes, it really was him and he laugh as Howl spun him around.  Then he introduce him to her, Xhosa Tauzeh.  He realize how pretty she was but didn't notice the touches that Howl and her exchanged with each other because he had been so blinded by his happiness on Howl being back to himself and forever free from Ryuuga.

It wasn't until he was back to healing that he truly notice the exchange of touches, the brush of their tails against each other, how she whisper at him, and the blush that stain his cheek.  John watch them head back to the stone and he realize that he was always going to remain on the outside, just as he realize with Sam and with Sara.  "I'll remain his best friend..." he murmured, stroking Kit's arm.  "This stupid crush will fade in time.  It won't hurt when it's gone...right, Kit?"  He stumble his way up the stair, dreading the letter that Xhosa said that she would send.  "To train me... I'll make sure she right for him and then slip off to the side like before."

He curl up on the couch in front of the fire.  "I'll still have you, right Kit?" he asked, clutching Kit's book to his chest.  He let his eyes drift close, those thoughts in his head.

John open his eyes, seeing the darken room, the bright sunlight never reaching into the room he stood in.  Yet there was light, as he turn, and smile at the small family as he brought a tray of tea over.  Two young kits were playing with the small wooden toys and Howl and Xhosa were leaning in close, speaking to each other.  He sat the tray down, staying well out of the light that surrounded the family, knowing he would never be a part of it.  Words of greetings were exchange, laughter, though strain on his part fill that little bubble of light.

He look down at the little ones, seeing a mixture of the dad and mom in them.  They were teasures, since they were Howl's children, and he regale them with stories of their dad and their mom, making the couple blush, and the light grew brighter, the slight touch feeling like it burn him.  It wasn't long before the little family stood, he follow after them, wanting to be in the light even if it burnt him alive.

Howl turn and wave at him and John slam into a barrier, unable to pass out of the room.  "No..." he shouted, trying to find an edge to the barrier, and his eyes widen as the family turn away from him.  He slam his hand against the barrier.  "NO, DON'T LEAVE."  He slide down the barrier, "don't leave me alone...." he whisper, even as the darkness of the room closed in and suffocated him.

John's eyes flew open, grasping for air, and stared in terror at the darken room.  It took him a moment to relax his grip on Kit's book, taken in the dying fire, and letting the room come into focus.  He was in the library of the hall.  The dream...except it wasn't Howl and Xhosa that had been the couple that had original been in it.  Tanya and Sam had been the first and then Pick and Sara.  And as much as he remember Howl's words, the dream always reminded him how alone he would always be.

He laid in the dark, watching the fire continue die, and he kept repeating to himself, and hoping that he would believe it one day.  "It's a stupid crush...get over it John."

John drop onto the couch and stretched out on it.  Kit came and settle on his chest, grinning down at him.  "I'm glad that I don't have to hide my feeling for him."  He closed his eyes going back to the party.  The party had been good and he still grins at Howl's costume.  "A really good Goblin and to think he threw it together at the last minute."  Kit giggle again even as John yawn.  "Night, Kit.  Try and get some rest.  Got a busy day at the clinic tomorrow."

She flick up from his chest, becoming aether and settling into her book.  He removed the pointed hat of the witches costume and drop it in the floor beside him.  Once he was settle, thoughts of Howl and the night settling into his dreams.

John laugh as the breeze blew a mini dust devil across the sand, several seeker kits chasing after it in laughter.  Ul'dah shining as always in the foreground.  "They seem even more lively then usually," he said to Howl.  There was laughter in the violet eyes and John was sure he would happily drown in them.  The female miqo'te sit the drink down between them.  "Lady Xhosa, I could have gotten those," he said.  She only smiles at him as she place her and Howl's drink on the table.  He didn't feel sorry for Howl as he probably found himself trap between him and his wife.

He glance over, realizing that Khuj'a and his partner had just arrived.  He reach a hand up to wave to them when he felt something dark and twisted trying to touch the edge of his aether.  "What..."

'John...why won't you... wake up, wake up, WAKE UP....'

John step back, seeing the edge the desert becoming a twisted version of itself.  "Howl..." he call out, turning to his friend.  Horror began to rise up in his throat as he saw a second Howl...no, Ryuuga behind Howl.  He tried to move but he found himself sinking into the dark....pain lashed across....

...his nose, and he landed hard on the floor beside the couch.  His hand came up trying to make sure that his nose wasn't broken, even as his aether began to stop the blood.  "Kit..." he said only to have a neck full of fairy, tiny arms wrap as best they could around his neck.  "Kit what happen?"

'You won't wake up.  Felt you become scare and called and called.'  He could feel her shaking against his neck.  'Something bad...dark...'

"I'm ok..." he said, stroking his finger along her head.  Yet, he was shaking as well.  He look out the window and could just make out the first bit of light.  "Come on," he said.  "I'm going to change then I better talk to either Raimy or Titor about this."

It didn't take him long to change out of the costume.  He drop the dream crystal in the small box that he kept his jewelry in and slipping it back into his bag.  "Really hope it was just whatever I grab out of the icebox."  He shiver even as he went in search of Titor or Raimy.

(ooc: a joint RP between Rhaiwen's player and myself for our FC halloween event.  Follow up will be in Fighter's soul)

John didn't understand it, as whistle for Safire, that sweep of exhaustion that was sapping his strength little by little.  It wasn't too bad at first, an yawn here and there as he spoke over the Division Linkpearl.  Even Khuj'a had notice and he explain that he suddenly tired but he hadn't done any major healing.  He reached for the aether around him, shifting through until he found the Hall's aetherite, and teleported there.

The moment he came out of it, there was such a wash of exhaustion that he wasn't sure how he was staying on his feet.  Leaning against the door, he gather what energy he had, and began the long climb up the stairs to the upstairs lounge.  "khuj'a....remind me to... Titor...about some...thing last night..."  He didn't hear the reply as he fell onto the couch, mind already sinking into dreams.

Finally. A satisfied smile curled Salacea's thin lips up as the boy finally succumbed to her spells. Holding out her hand, she called his dream to her, peering inside to determine the best course of action to take here. "Hm, sweet little thing.. Show me now. Show me what you fear the most." The dream began to grow dark at her touch as her crimson eyes peered inside intently. What path should she take with this one? Oh, the choices!

The dream had started out nice enough...his sister laughing as she lean up against Sam.  He was at the fire with Kitten, the plainfolk laughing at her Hellguard husband as he grumble about the Aldgoats.  As she reprimand Raging, John stood up, slipping away for the fire, following after Sara.  He clutched the flowers in his hand, and going after her.  He knew he didn't want to hurt his sister by telling her that he been in love...no had been crushing on Sam.  But Sara was kind to him, even with his curse...

He stop in his tracks for a moment, wonder why that thought didn't seem right anymore.  He couldn't quite make out the face, gold hair and violet eyes but it was gone and he was blinking.  "Oh no...I've lost her," he said, running through a desert that was becoming darker by the second.  "Sara...Tanya...Rage....Where are you?"  Why...why was no one answering him.

"They're all gone, sweet little John," Salacea murmured. Laughing, she appeared just off to his left, her crimson eyes glowing brightly. "All gone. You're alone now. They all left you behind." Grinning with malice, she floated slowly closer to him. A desolate feeling closed around him as she neared. "Alone and forgotten. You won't burden them any longer, isn't that wonderful?"

John spun around at the voice, stumbling backwards as the creature started moving toward him.  "Who are you....what are you...what have you done to my sister and the others."  He turn to try and run only to find his feet caught in the growing darkness around him.  He fell forward, sinking down, loneliness drowning him.  Then something grab hold of his hand, an aether he knew well.  'Remember Johny,' something whisper, no someone that would sit next to him, showing him how to peel an apple.  'no matter what anyone says, you not cursed.'  But before he could understand what was going on, Pick had vanish, like a ghost.

"You're lying," he said trying to pull free.  "Sister would never leave me behind."  He finally found himself free, heading back in the direction that his sister and the others where.  "Tanya...Sam... somethings after me..."  Yet there was nothing.  No sound at all.  "Please, someone anyone answer me."

A clawed hand shot out, snagging a tight hold in John's hair to bring him up short. Leaning over his shoulder, she hissed softly, "You're alone, kitten. Alone and defenseless. No one will come for you here. Why should they?" Jerking him around to face her, she smiled unpleasantly. Her free hand moved, snagging at John's wrist in a punishing grip.

A thought was all it took to cause the fabric of his gloves to rot away. "I hope you're ready, boy. I'm going to show you.. so many things." Her crimson eyes boring into his, she forced his hand up to her cheek, reveling in the memories of all the slaughter she had caused over her long lifetime.

He cried out has his hair was pulled so hard he almost fell backwards.  "Let go..." he began only to find himself jerked around and his hand was caught, the grip grinding the bones in his wrist together.  His eyes widen as the gloves rotted off his hands and he began to fight even more.  "No, no, no..." he said, fighting to get away from her.  "You don't know what you're doing...I'll taint you."

Violet eyes again.  'You'll not cursed...you care and been there for me.'  And the unknown person was gone but he drew strength...enough to form something in his hand.  A blade of healing aether, fire in the center of it, managing to bring the 'dagger' in on her faces before his other hand touch her.  He almost smile as the 'blade' hit before his eyes glaze over and his mind was fell into the horror of her memories.  In the waking world, his scream ran through the Hall, but only two others hear it yet they were caught by Salacea's web of nightmares as well.

The blade struck home just beneath Salacea's left eye, sinking deep into her face. She only gave a gruesome smile, laughing as John began to scream. "That's right. Take it all in. Suffer, trapped inside a never-ending parade of agony." Flitting away from John, she left the dream and settled upon her sofa once more, watching the three nightmares float before her with a satisfied smile.

John hit the ground as she left him, not that he was aware of her leaving.  Even as his body in the waking world went still, horror covering his face, John in the nightmare continue to scream, the dreamscape reflecting the memories, the dead, blood, and what those caught by her voice did to win her favor.  'Howl...' a small part of himself thought but was lost in a sea of blood.

• 5 months later...

He arrived in Ul'dah, staring out of the opening of the plaza, eyes dull, and half lidded.  John was physical, emotional, and mental drain, yet he could feel tears welling up into his eyes.  It hurt, admitting defeat, when you try so hard to make it work, to try and find your place.  He started for the stairs, only to freeze as he thought about their reaction to the sight of him.  They would be upset and he was sure that they would call Sam.  Sam, who would come to make sure he was ok, and give him 'I told you so' look.  He couldn't face that, not when he could feel himself near the breaking point.

'Quiet...I...we need somewhere quiet...' he though dully.  Howl had said to stop by but it was late and... he reach for the aetherite teleporting to the 4 ward.  He didn't even remember making it to plot 17 but the small house look nice, looked inviting, and he was opening the door stepping inside.  The room felt warm and alive and 'like home.' he thought, feeling his knees buckle under him.  He curl in on himself, fighting back the sobs that were trying to break free, feeling bits of himself starting to shatter under the stress that had been building for far too long.

He struggle to his feet, stumbling over to the stairs that lead to the basement, and lost his pack somewhere on one of the steps.  John notice the female and male Auri, who look a little startle at him being there.  "Please...don't tell them..." he says though his tears.  "I...just need a place...I'll be gone by morning..."  The male nods to the couches and John drops onto one.

John curl around Kit's book, protecting her, even as he shatter.  He drift asleep even as tears ran down his face.

John drop across the bed after the Grindstone, one of the last to arrive back at Dusk.  His feet resting on the floor as he stares up at the ceiling.  Kit yawn from where she was settle on the pillow at the head of the bed.  'Crazy...' she said.

"Yeah...crazy," he agree.  First Nazyl, with him almost killing a combatant.  'Why?' he ask himself.  'That goes against everything that Sir Nazyl stands for.'  And it just seem to go down hill from there.  He still felt that brush of Soaring's fist, knowing the kind of damage the hit would have done if he hadn't been on edge from what happen at the clinic.  "I try so hard, Kit, to be respectful, to help where I can, and yet, so many time it's thrown back in my face."  Add to the fact that some of Pick's personality had slip into his own right after the fight.  He could handle it and he didn't want to put anymore concern on himself, not after showing up out of the blue when he left Zero Division.

"It best they don't know.  Howl would only have flash back to..." He sigh, sitting up in bed.  "And Pick is still Pick so I know he won't hurt anyone."

'Something will have to be done about it.' Pick voice whisper, an old memory but it still felt like it could have been said in the room.

Pushing aside thoughts of Pick and his memories floating around in his own.  "I hope Lady Leih is about to talk her father into allowing her to get some training as an Arcanist."  He could feel his cheek heat up.  "Gods, the idiot she must think I am."  He had blush and stutter around her.

'She cute.'

He remove his robe and boots, slipping under the sheets, and letting his head sink into the pillow next to Kit.  "Cute or not... it won't work out."  Kit place a small hand on his cheek.  "I love Howl.  I want to be by his side...always."  He holds up his glove hand to the ceiling.  "I don't want him to be hurt like he's been with everyone else he's gave his heart to."  He close his hand into a fist.  Add on top of it his own ability... he would protect Howl, make sure that he finally finds happiness.  Just as long as his best friend was happy, he would be happy too.

• 2 months later...

'You have a great crew...' Pick said, even as John fell face first into the bed.  'To willingly place themselves in your steed.'

John crack his eyes open before closing them again.  "Um, glad I didn't have to face him...not after seeing how he and Berrod..." he said, yawning a bit.  "If I didn't feel like...like it was them just enjoying seeing blood spill."  His mind drifted back to the room that that had been hidden in the house that Khyran and his group were cleaning up.  The ideas on what it could be, especially with the cloth that had the Garlean colors.

Pick reach down and ruffle his hair.  'Your Captain isn't a man to do such a thing.'  He allow a chuckle.  'Samy would have wanted blood as well if who bid on you and Warren try to push it farther.'  His form began to shimmer, the aether that he gather to use this form breaking apart.  'Get some sleep....' then smile as he realize that John had settle into sleep.

John blink as he found himself on the same street that he had his first fight all those years ago.  Even now, he could see himself and the highlander boy, though he didn't remember the crowd of other boys around them.  He move forward, trying to stop what was about to take place, only to slam into a wall.  John saw himself attack the other boy first, his hand open as he slap the boy.  And the ground drop out from below him.

He could see the boy's life flashing by him as he fell.  John then felt his knees hit painfully into the floor, feeling hands shove him face first into the floor, and he turns a little, finding his right arm cake in blood, and missing skin.  'No, no, nononono.  We we're rescue.  My arm was heal.'  He could hear cheers going up from the crowd and he notice that the area look like the hidden room in the house that Aethertide found while fixing it up.  His hair was grab and he was pull back, taking in the Garlean uniform over him.  His eyes widen as the figure look familiar, almost like Titor but far healthier.  Behind the Titor look-a-like he could see the actually Titor along with some of the others from Division, along with Warren and the others.  "No, let them go," he said, taking in the state of bodily harm that was done to them.

"Time to earn your keep, slave." a female voice, one that had terror snaking up his spine as he knew the voice.  "I'm going to have so much fun watching you break..."  John turn, eyes taking in the sight of the siren... serpent-like ever closer to him.

"No...you're dead..." he gasp, trying to ignore the voice, even though it sounded beautiful.  He felt his face caught, pull up to look at her, and his will began to drown as the face above him became even more beautiful.  He barely notice the daggers being place into his lax hands.  "You... you're..." he murmur, feeling himself becoming lost in that smile...those eyes...no, no, no, no... And a fist slam into her face then he was really was drowning in a single violet eye.  "howl..."  The blond miqo'te nods even as he feels another standing behind him to face off against the siren.

"You dare..." voice choking off as an arrow lodge in the spot were the shell necklace would have been.  The area shatter, revealing a mindscape that look like the Grindstone fighting area.  "He's can't escape me..." she said, even as the 'body' began to break up.

Pick smile was feral, "We dare and no matter what, you will not hurt Johny."  The broken memories fled for now but Pick knew it was only a matter of time now before they try to gain control again.  "Something has to be done about them...soon."  He looks down, the daggers dropping from John's hands, even as he clung sobbing into Howl's memories.  He would have to pay John's Captain a visit.  Hopefully, he and first mate wouldn't be too upset with him 'borrowing' Johny's body.  He would go to that Khyran if Johny's Captain couldn't figure out a way to deal with that blasted Siren's memories.

John shot up, sobbing, and arms wrap around himself, as if he had been clinging to something that was no longer there.  'Johny,' Pick whisper.  'You need to tell them about this.'

"Pick...I can't.  They're just memories," he said.

'Johny, they are...'

"There memories, Pick.  They won't hurt anyone else..."  He laid back down in bed, turning from Pick.  "They will only hurt me for a little while..."

'That it...they aren't fading, Johny.'  Pick sigh before his image shatter once again.

John stared at the wall.  "They aren't but they only hurting me."

• 3 months later...

John yawn as he step into the apartment, seeing that his parents were already in there room, and made his way to his own.  He pull the short robe off, remove his hair tie, and sat on his bed to remove his shoes.  He sat the shoes off to the side so they could dry proper after being submerge in water for most of the evening.  As he finish getting ready for bed, his mind drifted back to the events that unfolded at the Grindstone.

"It was strange seeing young Ado again," he mutter to Kit.  "Though I wonder why Lady Lily was not there.  I do hope that she does become too upset over the kind of language he heard tonight."

'Shouldn't have been by himself.' Kit said, from where she settle on his pillow.

"Still," he said, "I'll have to stop by and give Lady Lily a formal apology about the language he probably pick up tonight...or what he saw." Both he and the fairy shutter as they remember the fight that took place with Muscle Mog.  "Sir Locke must be having a fit at Thala's table.

John crawl into bed, Kit curling up against his neck.  "You should get some rest," he says, hand curling protectivly around the fairy's form.

'Howl hurting.'

"I know and Warren is too."  He had a better idea on what happen after his and Hannah's talk, though he didn't know what the fight had been about.  Sei and Hannah could handle Warren but Howl needed him right now.  "I'll have to try and find out where he's at."

'What about...'

"Don't, Kit." he whisper.  "Howl needs a friend right now.  My own feelings for him has to take a back seat.  He doesn't need a lover, he needs an ear to listen to him, that he can rant at.

He let his eyes close, feeling Kit's aether return to the book.  "As long as he's happy, I'll be happy for him too.  So long as I can be by his side as well."  Even if his heart ache from pain when Howl finds that one that will be with him, he would cherish Howl's happiness.

• 9 months later...

John rush out of weapon practice, making his way for the Goldsmith guild.  He shook damp hair out of his eyes as he threw open the door, and rush to the front desk.  "Please, I need to have these made," he said to the person at the desk, showing the drawing to him.  "Gils no object.  How soon can you have there designs done?"

The drawing was taken from his hands, as the hyur look over it.  "Hm, it depends on when you require it and what gems and metal you want used in it."  Looking over it again, "What gems do you wish in them?"

John pointed at the one design.  "Blue for this one..." then his ears fell.  "I...I am unsure which color to do for the other.  I never thought to ask what color to might be his favorite."

"I can hold on to the design until you have a chance to speak with the other person to find out what color gem to use."

"Then I'll have to be careful of the wait that I ask him.  This is to be a surprise gift for my Howl and it would not be much of a surprise if he realize what I'm planning."  He place a small sack of gil on the counter.  "A down payment to get the work started and I'll have the rest to cover for the finally detail work."

"Of course, Sir.  I'll have one of our best Goldsmith's get started on the work."

John smile brightly then quickly made his way out of the Goldsmith guild.  Now, he needed to see about the chocolates for the others.  "Lemon creme...no, perhaps orange and a vanilla cream..."