[Sketch] Raen Refugee

Now that my main article is done, let's flesh this out a bit.

The concept I had was for a young refugee who arrived with the Domans at Vesper Bay during the events of the MSQ. She would be without family support, but as a somewhat educated commoner with a strong spirit, she sought out a course that she herself could determine.

Rusu Sumunoe. Her name means 'caretaker', she was raised from birth to be the governess of others' children. Belonging to a satellite family of commoners attached to the noble Tsubameyari clan, noted and respected warriors. When Doma was crushed under the boot of Garlean force, the Tsubameyari were among the most fervent combatants, who many hoped would lead the resistance to victory. For their demonstrative show of opposition, the clan was annihilated utterly. The Sumunoe, with no holdings and no parent clan to guide them, scattered to seek respite with what other clans would take them in, but as the Garlean machine rolled on, many were cut down or lost. Rusu's parents were among them.

She was able to plead for passage to Thanalan, but once arriving realized the seriousness of her isolation. In a new land, with a small amount of book knowledge and domestic skills, she faced hunger alone until she met Wymond. His snark prodded her to investigate the adventurers' guild, where the tale begins.

That's what I have. She's 22, with 0 exp in any job. She knows a little about astrology in order to understand the horoscopes of the noble children she cared for, and has some historical knowledge as well. She's picking up some basic fighting arts, but might in the future delve into the deeper workings of astrology.

Any thoughts on the viability of this sketch? Does the family structure and social role conform well enough to the Raen?

I can't think of anything not-viable or conflicting in there. Typically, a governess would probably lean more towards "moderately educated" (at least within the British paradigm), being able to instruct her charges in more than one subject, possibly music/art too. She'd tend to fall closer to middle-class, whereas a nanny/caretaker would more likely have a low-class background, with more domestic skills and less education.

Whether or not you want to get that detailed is purely a personal choice, I think! If it's just an origin story to shift into something else, it may not matter to you. The Raen are more or less the most mysterious of the playable sub-races for now, so you have plenty of leeway, you know?

Thank ye kindly for the replies.

A solid suggestion on the point of her education. I think rather than change that, I will demote her from governess to something more fitting her age and experience, as was noted. Other than that, I look forward to putting a little time on this character before long.