Materia System Revisions

In accordance with revisions to the battle system, adjustments have been made to the materia system as well as the effectiveness of various items in FFXIV: ARR.

We advise all players to review the changes to the materia system listed below. Further details on item changes will be disclosed at a later date.

1. Overall Changes to the Materia System

In order to make the materia crafting system more intuitive, the following changes have been made:

• Stat variation within grades of materia have been abolished.

• The number of materia grades has been increased to five.

• Catalysts have been consolidated into five grades of one type.

• Gear-type restrictions on materia have been abolished; it will be possible to meld them to accessories.

• Gear and any materia already affixed to said gear will no longer be lost as a result of a failed melding attempt.

• You will no longer need to unequip gear in order to attach materia to it.

• Materia have been consolidated into 24 varieties.

• Materia created will now be based on gear class rather than gear slot. For example, a cobalt cuirass worn by Disciples of War is more likely to create materia for a tanking class, whereas a felt robe worn by Disciples of Magic is more likely to create materia for a casting class.

And it goes on from there.

I'm personally really excited about it, since I used so much materia in 1.0.

Pro:

• Less risk with multiple materia melding
  • Simplified catalysts
  • Simplified materia; no more garbage
  • All old, "cracked" materia can be traded for new materia or "special currency"
  • Materia fits on accessories
  • Gear can have multiple materia slots
  • New materia that reduces spell cast and recast times, and weaponskill recast times (so, pseudo-Haste)

Con:

• Spiritbond takes "significantly longer"
  • The provenance of successfully multiple-melded gear, and the Gambler's Crown (which I have), is diminished slightly due to decreased risk
  • Cracked materia can't be split from its gear; it's converted "as is"

One of the reasons why I started to hate FFXIV toward the end was because of the materia system and its grotesque fascination with the RNG. At least now, the type of materia you get is dictated by the gear type of the converted piece.

Instead of being, you know, COMPLETELY RANDOM.

Also, breaking gear isn't a problem anymore, which will open up gearing opportunities to players that don't have over 999,999,999 gil to blow.

One of the reasons why I started to hate FFXIV toward the end was because of the materia system and its grotesque fascination with the RNG. At least now, the type of materia you get is dictated by the gear type of the converted piece.

Instead of being, you know, COMPLETELY RANDOM.

Also, breaking gear isn't a problem anymore, which will open up gearing opportunities to players that don't have over 999,999,999 gil to blow.

AGREED.

I want my millions of gil back after breaking 3 Sarngas trying to double meld DEX only to find out that's not even the materia I needed. :frustrated: