New FFXIV Rper! And I have a question!

Howdy, you wonderful people!

I've been playing FFXIV for a while now, albeit on and off due to life and work being as busy as it is. I sadly have a habit of not playing for months on end, only to appear for my vacations and play non-stop for a week or two. I joined an RP group in Coeurl full of wonderful, really nice people but found the RP in the open world somewhat lacking, so I decided to transfer..

To give you all a little context.

I've been Roleplaying for well over fifteen years now, starting with a few sonic Forum RP's (The dark times, oh gods the dark times) and working my way up to Skype, and eventually Discord RP's set in various settings we would usually come up with. I've been playing DnD lately (Though found roleplay in a tabletop setting to be a LOT different than the text-based characters I am used to writing) And, of course, I only have a little bit of experience roleplaying on MMO's, that experience extending to a few weeks of FFXIV Rp and very light roleplay on GW2. I don't usually play a lot of MMO's but these two in particular hooked me.

Joining Courl, I set about making a character named Xeri'to, my Miqo'te with little to no magic or combat skill, whom spends most of his time traveling to Ul'dah to get his Ceruleum and taking apart any magitek he can get his hands on to try and learn, by no means a 'great engineer' but he tries to make do to make up for his lack of skill and reflexes.

Now I've been searching around for a server to transfer to and found Mateus and Balmung to be the primary RP servers in FFXIV, I visited them both and was immediately surprised how many people hung around the quicksand! I felt a bit spoiled for choice, and can't decide which server to join. I'm european of course but tend to hang around the american servers since they're just more popular.

Now, my questions to all of you are as follows;

* Which server should I transfer to, Mateus or Balmung? What are their communities like?

* Do you have any hints or tips to someone who would love to get into the roleplaying scheme, but has a tendency to vanish for long periods of time as I do.

* Any hints or lore insights you might be able to give me as I try to flesh out my little engineer?

* And of course, is there anything else you can tell me before I transfer!

It's so cool to see an active RP community like this and I'm stoked to join in, hopefully you can help me with some of my questions. ❤️

- Shade / Xeri'to

image.png

25 minutes ago, Ellmida said:

Actually both are really good servers and thanks to Mateus and Balmung being on the same data center you can easily go to events on both. 

Thanks for the heads up!

I was just curious if there was any reason to pick one over the other, mostly if the communities were any different.

I read online Balmung had a lot of older players and a big raid community, and Mateus was a little small in comparison with less RP out and about. Or is there really no difference and reason to pick one over the other?

Well a lot of roleplayers on Balmung has Mateus alts and vice versa. Balmung is the more established server because it became the unofficial  rp server at the start of ARR. Mateus was sort of started as the unofficial overfill server.  I am primarily Balmung so can't give an opinion  but I've heard good things about both.  My suggestion might be to make 1 character on each server and see which you like best if you don't already know  someone on either server. I think it really comes down to  the friends you meet.