Howdy! New person here for the New Year

Balfuset

Hey all, stumbled across this site while looking about for information regarding RP within the FFXIV community and figured I'd tick my head in, join up and maybe be able to get myself involved in the community that's clearly sprung up around the concept! I've filled in the little template linked in this forum to give you all a bit more information about me so, without further ado!

MMORPG background

Started with WoW back with vanilla in 2004 after being introduced to itby housemates from university. Played on and off all the way up to Cataclysm but eventually decided that it really wasn't something I was enjoying. I'd gotten a bit of a taste for MMOs in general though so I dipped my toes into a few other titles including Guild Wars 1 & 2, SWTOR, LOTRO and a few other more obscure titles. I heard about FFXI back in the day and dismissed it out of hand because 'Final Fantasy is a single player game!'... however after eventually hearing a lot of good things about XIV around the time of Heavensward, I picked it up and... here I am, been playing since 3.4 and have no intentions of stopping now. FFXIV has been everything I wanted out of an MMO and for that I adore it.

RP experience

Started out RPing on message boards and MUDs and MUSHs around 15 years ago or so, typically fantasy games but some science fiction, modern fantasy and other genres. Migrated from online to tabletop RPGs when I went to university and have basically tried to maintain teh hobby as much as possible ever since. I love telling stories and coming up with backgrounds, motivations, dreams and the like for characters in games and tend to put those things into characters even where they are not actively required or even encouraged - such as MMOs, haha! Big on having a fun, interesting backstory for my character(s) and deciding who they are, where they came from and waht they do in those downtime places between the major quests they undertake.

Character ideas/info

My main character in XIV is Zorya Muunasch, a Hrothgar who, at least in RP terms I don't usually like to portray as the Warrior of Light - just to avoid the Mary Sue aspect of that should I end up RPing with anyone either in or out of game. After all there's only one WoL and it feels a bit presumptuous to assume that it is my character over everyone else's! Zorya's a freelance mercenary bodyguard for hire (I'm a tank main in game so, it makes sense :D) who travelled to Eorzea from his norhtern home to escape the Garlean Empire and has ended up entangled in the conflict with the Garleans regardless of his attempts to get away from the constant threat of conscription in the Provinces. He's a rough around the edges guy with a heart of gold (I mean, have you seen Hrothgar grins? They're giant goofball cinnamon rolls!) who takes a bit to warm up to folks wbut when he does he's a stalwart ally who'll throw himself in harm's way to protect what he believes in.

How did you learn about the coalition?

Google, quite honestly. Just searching for 'FFXIV RP servers' and it came up and... here I am!

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy)

So I really enjoy weaving intricate stories and relationships with other characters within the world. Character interaction and chemistry - whether it be positive or negative - as well as drama and deep story. So I guess I'd classify myself as a sort of... medium-to-heavy type who really wants to develop not only my character and their story, but also the story of the world around them, to take what we know about Eorzea and explore that even deeper to really make this fantastical world come to life in the stories I tell.

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc.)

Not much to say about me otherwise. As mentioned I'm big into D&D and other tabletop RPGs of that ilk. I'm a bit of a giant nerd, as I work in the tech industry as a web (and general backend) developer

All in all I'm glad to have found a place like this and look forward to seeing what things go on around here!