FFXIV RPer FAQ

Hey everyone. I hang out on a fairly large FFXIV RP community Discord where I've ended up as part of the unofficial welcome wagon for new members, and after a while I started to notice a lot of repeat questions from new and returning RPers, and sometimes even old RPers confronting tough situations. So I started assembling them into a FAQ to help get people established, focused specifically on FFXIV RP on the Crystal Data Center (because I can't really speak for other DCs, not being on them myself; which doesn't mean it won't mostly apply, but it's probably not entirely the same).

So far feedback has been overwhelmingly and humblingly positive, so I figured I'd share here too, so here it is, with apologies for my tendency towards ridiculous and ridiculously-long titles...

So You Wanna Start Roleplaying In FFXIV

(Specifically, On Crystal Data Center)

But It Sounds Really Scary And You're New And How Does This Even Work Anyway?:

A FAQ

It covers pretty much everything I could think of, from things like system limitations and the UI to standard writing and lore conventions, even to a bunch of things that I wish I'd known coming into the community myself: social norms, common assumptions, setting and navigating boundaries, how to handle different opinions on lore-strictness, resolving conflict, all the 'soft skills' in RP that really make it work but don't often get acknowledged.

As you can guess by looking at it, it was a pretty huge effort, but don't let the guide's length intimidate you. It's meant to be skimmable and taken in at your own pace. I also took the most neutral possible stance on issues, because I firmly believe that the only "bad RP" is RP that the participants aren't enjoying, so you won't find any attempts to enforce anything here other than treating others with respect. It's nominally finished, but I'm still occasionally adding sections as the need arises, so if you spot any errors or omissions, let me know! I'm always glad for feedback.