10 Common Errors �Spell Check� Won�t Catch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually not sure why some dude making a joke about being drunk warranted a correction of "actually, I don't drink" in the first place, as I honestly doubt he meant it about you personally. ;)

Come now though, this is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Let's talk about bad spelling, instead. Bad spelling is always interesting.

I was just making banter. It's not as though I figured anyone would actually care about my personal drinking habits. I'm never angry on the internet, btw. I'm very rarely angry at all because it causes me immense disappointment in myself to experience such a waste of an emotion. That said, the fastest way to catch shit from me is to give it to me, and I happen to enjoy giving it back.

As for spelling, I don't find it particularly interesting. English uses non-phonetic spellings, essentially dooming everyone to make mistakes from time to time. A relatively simple change of "the rules" would prevent most people from ever making a spelling error in their entire lives. Instead we prefer to continue the tradition of making someone memorize the spelling of every single word in their vocabulary. And while it seems like a trifling issue, the longer we continue it, the longer we inconvenience ourselves, and the sooner we fix it the easier it will be. Though I can barely fathom a world where such a thing would be addressed.