The Welcome Mat Roleplayer

I made this thread so many of us vets who are open to getting friended by new rpers can put our character names down here so we can be friend requested for rp at the start of next phase. This is not a Gilgamesh specific thread,  just something talking about my own experiences. Those who don't mind opening themselves to be friended  by the new folk please list your name and information down below including server. A story or two that you can share about your experiences roleplaying would be great if you wish. I would also love if you guys can put down some tips for the new rpers.

This is actually a modified thread I once wrote for another rp board but I think it will be a good thing to have here, especially for those of us who are going to Gilgamesh and have more of an uphill battle. I think it will be effective for both servers even still.

I've been playing mmos for a pretty long time. I started in the original Everquest series. One of the best experiences I had was sitting with another character in one of the buildings in Eurudin and him teaching me how to play the game but doing it IC. Its was what really got me into rping in mmorpgs. Open beta is coming soon and we are going to get a lot of people coming in trying out the game and deciding whether or not its worth the fifteen dollars a month. Lets help them by making a great impression.

All I ask is, show them some patience, be willing to teach them, and do it in a way that encourages them and not discourages them. Yes, we all know that there are going to be the bad element that shows up with the good, but the honest truth is that if you show them a great time they will be more willing to rp and some will turn out to be truly great. Personally I loove meeting new people in my games. Amaare is what I call a "welcome mat" character. I made him to encourage new players to rp because he is so open to meeting new people and he talks with anyone. Now I know that many of us like closed in private rp, I get that, but just be open to the alternative is all I'm saying.

Everyone has to have their first time and we should be more willing to grow our small community than to shrink it and not ignoring people who are new to our craft. Too many times I've seen veteran roleplayers completely ignore new players because they had the "wrong name" or made a mistake trying to address them.  Its hard coming up to new people and engaging them, not to mention in this game its very hard finding lore enough as it is, give them a chance if you teach them the right way they will be willing to reroll trust me.

On Gilgamesh on the last day of phase 3 I hung out with some players who had a conversation with me about following lore with their names, but they never roleplayed. Well guess what? I will be roleplaying with them once we hook up again during phase 4 and early access. I told them it was great that they were doing what they were doing (hell they definitely showed me up as Amaare's name is not lore accurate in the traditional sense , but there is a reason). I was proud of them and new that these were potential roleplayers in front of me.

A strong welcoming community is good for everyone, so lets really show our best and do our best to teach and not discourage. Teaching in a gentle encouraging hand and not by ignoring people (which is horribly rude and quite low budget, do we do this in rl when people are speaking to us?) when the are trying to rp with you or by shutting them out completely. We the players are the true tour guides of the game, and the world is richer because of it. Lets do our part, even if its small. Again remember that we all had to start somewhere, always be ready to teach those that are willing to learn, and new roleplayers be just as patient remember that everyone is human and if you are trying to roleplay with a new person or group its always better to wait for openings instead of trying to force your way into a conversation. Apply what works in real life when you are trying to talk to a group of people having a conversation as to not come off rude.

And last but not least, don't easily give up. Just because it didn't work the first time doesn't mean approaching another group will result in the same outcome. People roleplaying in mmos are just like people in real life. Some strangers will ignore you and some will be just plain happy that you are there. Most people usually are just in between. I will say this now, I am always willing to rp if I am on if I'm not already tied up in something (most of the time I'm usually looking for rp so friends fuss at me because I am a very slow leveler). So I am giving all those that are new and starting on Gilgamesh permission to hit me up with a friends request.

Want to know my second best experience rping? Showing a kid how to play the game IC in TOR. I was basically returning the favor that was given to me in EQ1 so many years ago. Lets make this memorable for as many people as possible. Break out of your comfort zone and actually talk to the new people. Be the great memories for them so they can be one day setting up posts like this on some mmo ten years from now. Trust me, they will never forget you and thank you for it. Thank you guy who helped me in EQ1, I am still repaying my debt today.

Welcome mat rpers unite!

Vets here is a format you can use if you wish to put your info out there so you can be friended.

Main characters: Amaare Margolis, Asambe Kyambe

Playtimes: I'm mainly a late night roleplayer and am usually around all day Fridays and Saturdays. I am EST.

Server: Gilgamesh

RP style: Heavy roleplayer - I actually rp more than I level though during phase 4 and early access I will be trying to level pretty hard for the September 1st 3pm Limitless Sky Beach Party Festival in Costa Del Sol. Still I will be up to rp regardless.

Approach me anytime you see me in the cities or towns. If you want you can send me a tell asking me if I can roleplay at the moment, its totally up to you. If I'm rping already then join right in and use my character as your entrance. The approach can be totally up to you as I love to improv - no seriously lol.

There is a program like this in place here. :) It is stickied in the Welcome Desk forum.

This isn't about mentoring, its about giving some tips, personal experiences and putting out information for characters that can be easily approached if players happen to come across them in game. Entry point characters is what I mean. Sometimes people don't like strangers approaching them randomly. I'd like this to be a thread for those that don't mind it at all and are always open to being approached icly by someone new.

There are also some people who -know- how to rp but may just be shy and vets who are not part of the mentoring program but who are playing approachable characters.

But I do thank you for putting that here, its a vital resource that should be used!

Sounds simple and inviting. I like it.

Characters

Ellion Goto, Fillion Fenias, Neres Direfrost

Server

Balmung

Playtimes

Usually Wed - Fri as I work four 12 hr shifts during the weekend, but I'm available all day during that time period.

If you need help or assistance or a friend really, send me a request.

There is a program like this in place here. :) It is stickied in the Welcome Desk forum.

This isn't about mentoring, its about giving some tips, personal experiences and putting out information for characters that can be easily approached if players happen to come across them in game. Entry point characters is what I mean. Sometimes people don't like strangers approaching them randomly. I'd like this to be a thread for those that don't mind it at all and are always open to being approached icly by someone new.

There are also some people who -know- how to rp but may just be shy and vets who are not part of the mentoring program but who are playing approachable characters.

But I do thank you for putting that here, its a vital resource that should be used!

I still don't get the difference I guess. Everyone I've mentored.. that's exactly what we're doing. And anyone can be a mentor if they're comfortable and want to help people get into the RP in XIV, whatever that entails. We talk about their character development, how RP is in XIV, LS's, personal experiences, etc.. xD I guess the only difference here is that people specifically don't mind being approached ICly by someone new, but I think all the mentors definitely fit that bill without being said! :)

Either way, it's all good ideas!

Well, alright, I'll put myself here, too. :) More opportunities for RP can't be a bad thing.

Main character: L'yhta Mahre

Playtimes: I'll mostly be on nights on weekdays, briefly on Saturday afternoons, and most of the day Sunday (all GMT-6/-5, aka "Central Time").

Server: Balmung

RP style: I'm a heavy RPer, which means I'm IC basically all the time unless otherwise noted. So, feel free to come up to me anywhere and start a conversation, and I do mean anywhere (in town, out in the world, wherever) -- though if you start chatting at L'yhta while she's in a fight, her response may be a bit curt. :)

If you'd feel more comfortable setting up an ICly "coincidental" meeting in advance, though, feel free to shoot me a /tell!

Main character: Lorric Wright

Playtimes: Im on gmt +1 (sweden) so ill be on during afternoon on weekdays and probably earlier on weekends.

Server: Balmung

RP style: Well, i am a medium rper in the sense that i like todo pve endgame content and so on, however. When i do rp i would like to describe myself as a heavy rper. I can sit down and bar rp for a long while.

So anyone that feels like it and wishes to rp with me or just chat can add my character "Lorric Wright" to their friends list if they want, i can rp aswell at most times. However currently my character is bound to ul'dah so the rp would need to happen there or in the surrounding area. :3

-Xeon

Main Character: Tekiki Teki (Fem. Lalafell)

Playtimes: Varies wildly. My job likes to keep things fresh (or so I tell myself) by having me sporadically open and close back to back, so I will be on when I can. On my days off I can be up until the wee hours of the morning so you will probably find more often than not.

Sever: Gilgamesh

Rp Style: In early game play it will be very casual (as for the account that I have not decided on what kinds of character this character will play as), however, once I develop Tekiki enough I will be set to rp heavy. I do enjoy PVE and especially PVP so I may be caught up doing either of the formers, but feel free to send me a tell if anyone is looking to do some rp (most of the time I will be free to do so).

Looking forward to meeting all of the Gilga rpers and I am loving how supportive the rp community is for this game. See you in Open beta!

I'm actually going to second Aysun here. Ellie is in the middle of streamlining the mentor post using a format very similar to what you've set up. Once it goes up, I'd like to see people use the mentor thread as it has been, as well as like you plan on using this one. ;)

I'm actually going to second Aysun here. Ellie is in the middle of streamlining the mentor post using a format very similar to what you've set up. Once it goes up, I'd like to see people use the mentor thread as it has been, as well as like you plan on using this one. ;)

Well, totally ignoring this because it's 4 a.m. and I'm really bored and feel like talking about myself. Sorry, Xen. Nothing personal.

Main Characters: Uther Skystrider (Hyur/Midlander/Male/Dragoon), Wart Totonji (Lalafell/Dunesfolk/Male/Paladin). I mainly play Uther, but Wart is fun when the mood catches me.

Playtimes: I have a weird work schedule because my RL job is manned 24/7, so I'm always on but never at the right time. xD

Server: B-b-b-b-balmunggggg

RP Style: Heavy. When I log on, I am Uther Skystrider... Not really, but I am a heavy roleplayer.

If you see me, talk to me. I'm not elitist or snooty (not saying anyone else on this forum is) and I love a good conversation. I'm easy to get along with. Whether I'm sitting around at the beach playing charades, or fighting for my life in a mysterious dungeon with Misericorde, I'm almost always having a good time when I RP.

Well, totally ignoring this because it's 4 a.m. and I'm really bored and feel like talking about myself. Sorry, Xen. Nothing personal.

Main Characters: Uther Skystrider (Hyur/Midlander/Male/Dragoon), Wart Totonji (Lalafell/Dunesfolk/Male/Paladin). I mainly play Uther, but Wart is fun when the mood catches me.

Playtimes: I have a weird work schedule because my RL job is manned 24/7, so I'm always on but never at the right time. xD

Server: B-b-b-b-balmunggggg

RP Style: Heavy. When I log on, I am Uther Skystrider... Not really, but I am a heavy roleplayer.

If you see me, talk to me. I'm not elitist or snooty (not saying anyone else on this forum is) and I love a good conversation. I'm easy to get along with. Whether I'm sitting around at the beach playing charades, or fighting for my life in a mysterious dungeon with Misericorde, I'm almost always having a good time when I RP.

Didn't say this should stop. : P The other post isn't up yet~