Oculus Rift Demo

Greetings fellow RPCers'

A quick summary to anyone unfamiliar, the Oculus Rift is a head mounted 3D display with head tracking planned to be consumer ready for 2014 in the 300 dollar price range. (more info here: http://www.oculusvr.com/ ) the current major applications are passive visual media (A virtual movie theater), Gaming (Unity/Unreal/Source support largely completed) and 3d modeling.

While this device is intended primarily for testing at my Job, and is a development model (sporting a less refined profile, and lower resolution.) I've also thought about the leisure implications.

I'd like this thread to serve as a consolidation for any "testers" willing to allow others to give the hardware a demo without purchasing themselves. Anyone who would like to have their information hosted alongside mine, please send me a PM in the following format: (my own example below)

• Region: (province/state/county)
  • City:
  • Dates: (Times and days when you'll be available)
  • Communication: (How you'd like people to contact you)
  • Additional: (anything you'd like to add)

As/if more people provide information i'll try to break it up by country and region to keep it clean. For now there's just myself!

My own information:

• Region: Alberta
  • City: Edmonton
  • Dates: August 4th, 6-9th, 14-16. September 5-7th, 10-12th. (more later)
  • Communication: PM me for tracking please.
  • Additional: I've already tweaked Minecraft for support, as well as the default Source engine games installed and ready, My own testing experience at a friends with Portal 2 was phenomenal and something i'll be suggesting. We have food, drink, and motion sickness medication ready for the few who need it.

Somethings to note, Calibration with a new user will take some time, expect 20-30 minutes of fine tuning before use (swapping lenses if you have glasses in particular).

If you have any questions, comments or concerns related to the Oculus Rift, may I direct you to http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus or feel free to post below and i'll do my best to address them.

Ahh, love this thing! A buddy from the college I go to got his hands on one of these things... Can't wait for the new semester to start so we can start programming stuff for it.

For sure, a great piece of tech!

Haha, no kidding, I think its amazing myself,

Hoping I can provide a Demo for everyone still on the fence.

I'm nowhere near Alberta, but fortunately I'm already sold on the Oculus Rift. I'm nuts about 3D stuff, and this thing sounds absolutely incredible.

Right now, though, I'm waiting for the finished product before shelling out the cash for it. I've no use for a developer kit, personally.

Right now, though, I'm waiting for the finished product before shelling out the cash for it. I've no use for a developer kit, personally.

Yes I recommend anyone interested in purchasing to wait until the 2014 commercial edition that will support higher resolution (Devkit: 1280×800 (640×800 per eye), Consumer version: ≥1920×1080) for purchase. As well as having a more user friendly set up experience.

It's always been a passion of mine to promote interactivity in the gaming/computer environment so i'm glad to have this chance to offer others to join in on the fun without the risk of buyers remorse.