Question on classes and role playing.

Their a lot of role players out there and many do a lot of things differently. Though one question comes to mind, How did you decide your class? Many people base their story around a class they pick but didn't put much mind in why they picked it. I'm going try help you as starting or even Vet Role player decide or improve your choice with classes. Ill start with few common questions then Ill try answer them best I can. These question where asked by fellow role players just starting in my linkshell.

Did you pick your class because it seem cool or that it seems more you? 

Every one has issues when trying figure out which class should be their starting class, it happens and it it is a hard choice to make. I tackled this issue by thinking what class sounds like me in turn i looked at all the fighting styles and then came up with lancer was me, i been loving it ever since. Picking class that is you helps avoid "oh man i levled this guy up and i hate it now" or This is a drag I knew i should went mage". When making your story try make it seem like swords is a passion to your role play, or your person all ways loved magic so they wanted to study it.

Does this class fit my Role Player? 

Though you may have not put much mind in to it till you started reading this here, but does your role player fit you class or soon to be classes? 

Make sure when you pick starting or even sub classes that it makes sense with your role player attitude and body shape. You don't want story that says your a brute but then latter we find out you are skinny white mage, or your a super shy person but your tank that leads every one to battle. All so pick what you feel is you but make sure your story goes with it.

How do I role play with the change of classes or subclass ( Dragoon, or Lancer and monk)?

The way I handle this is that I'm the leader of Echo Knights as well as i see Shep as my sister and i want to protect her, so i started learn different ways of fighting to better my leader skills and that i can protect every one I care about no matter the situation. Pick classes that are you but make it make sense of why you picked it. Unless your Gilgamesh who just wants be the strongest person around. Though yes you need be two classes be one hybrid class make sure though that you can work around the training part of leveling that class and why that hybrid class would be your new goal.

I hope you find this helpful and if you have further question please ask them and I or some one will try answer them^^.:thumbsup:

On thing that I am going to try to do for my character is to spin her class and her personality together with a hint of irony. You made a mention of a shy personality that leads the party into battle as a tank, this is something that I intend to do (my character development is still in its elementary stages so its not definite). There are a few ways that I have thought of on how to justify a character with this sort of "flaw", but I am still in the works of it all. Obviously if I can't make it work then it won't be... But time will tell.

Great post, I just wanted to say that I found it humorous that you mentioned an idea that I had :D.

in answer to those questions, I came up with the character, and then picked a class to suit. (I wanted to be a Miqo'te mage of some description), so I guess I picked THM as it seemed like a good starting point for Solo play, whilst still fitting within the characters aesthetic.

I would say it fits the attitude I am taking with him, he's not scrawny by any means, but he's not super buff. Though he is a magic user, he believes in the quote (paraphrased) A strong mind requires a strong body, and a strong body requires a strong mind (can't find the actual quote). 

He has trained how to survive in the wilds without the use of magic, and will most likely take some mundane class to reflect that (most likely PUG/ARC), but certainly not a class that uses two handed weapons.

I definitely picked my class because I think it's cool. It might be because the guy that introduced me to MMOs always made me be a healer. So once I got the chance I made a cool sword person. Since then I always liked picking classes that use swords and have cool armor. Then that same person pretty much yelled at me all the time when I would tank. In the end It helped me play better, but playing games now is a lot more fun without them~

I'm new to RP and I have never done it. So I've no idea if it will suit my character. I've thought about what type of character I'd liker her to be, but I guess I still have a lot to flesh out. That said I guess I'm pretty shy and my RP may reflect that.. I may have to change what class I play? =\

How do I role play with the change of classes or subclass ( Dragoon, or Lancer and monk)?

I.. I dunno!

If Squeenix doesn't get rid of the silly 'you must do it solo' restriction for the instanced Story Missions, all my characters will end up being Marauders and Gladiators. Because I heard those are the two classes with the least trouble when soloing. Not all of them will be so ICly, but besides roleplaying I like to actually play and enjoy the game. And those solo missions? I don't enjoy them at all.

With that said, I normally make my characters picking the class I want to play. In the case of ARR, though, I'll probably have a bunch of OOC classes in my main so I can cover all roles for party play.

If one of my characters ends up having various classes ICly, then changing them will be handwaved like the game does: it's my character using another weapon or, in the case of some magical classes, using different spells.

On thing that I am going to try to do for my character is to spin her class and her personality together with a hint of irony. You made a mention of a shy personality that leads the party into battle as a tank, this is something that I intend to do (my character development is still in its elementary stages so its not definite). There are a few ways that I have thought of on how to justify a character with this sort of "flaw", but I am still in the works of it all. Obviously if I can't make it work then it won't be... But time will tell.

Great post, I just wanted to say that I found it humorous that you mentioned an idea that I had :D.

Hahaha yea i knew some one out their would try this out. If you can figure it out I love to read read your story:bouncy:.

in answer to those questions, I came up with the character, and then picked a class to suit. (I wanted to be a Miqo'te mage of some description), so I guess I picked THM as it seemed like a good starting point for Solo play, whilst still fitting within the characters aesthetic.

I would say it fits the attitude I am taking with him, he's not scrawny by any means, but he's not super buff. Though he is a magic user, he believes in the quote (paraphrased) A strong mind requires a strong body, and a strong body requires a strong mind (can't find the actual quote). 

He has trained how to survive in the wilds without the use of magic, and will most likely take some mundane class to reflect that (most likely PUG/ARC), but certainly not a class that uses two handed weapons.

You must of put a lot thought in to that. good hear some one trying  work around personality and body shape.

I definitely picked my class because I think it's cool. It might be because the guy that introduced me to MMOs always made me be a healer. So once I got the chance I made a cool sword person. Since then I always liked picking classes that use swords and have cool armor. Then that same person pretty much yelled at me all the time when I would tank. In the end It helped me play better, but playing games now is a lot more fun without them~

I'm new to RP and I have never done it. So I've no idea if it will suit my character. I've thought about what type of character I'd liker her to be, but I guess I still have a lot to flesh out. That said I guess I'm pretty shy and my RP may reflect that.. I may have to change what class I play? =\

I.. I dunno!

Hahaha yea I use role play/ play with people that would want me be a class i hate. I'm not a magical person so i never pick it or even put much thought in it. 

We where all new and your in a great place to start learning, get a mentor to help you or just ask question to any one here. The people on here are the most friendly people i ever met on a game and we all will help you.:love:

Though you are new try to take what i wrote in to mind for class changes. Do some home work to try find out what you like be and fit it in to your story. Here is my story, maybe it can give you some ideas. http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2959

You must of put a lot thought in to that. good hear some one trying  work around personality and body shape.

a lot of it just sort of fell into place, As a tribal Miqo'te, it made sense that he would have some sort of mundane survival skills, its something I feel that you would develop in that sort of situation, plus, out of his family (not family group), he, his father and two of his sisters were the only ones to develop any affinity to the Aetheric, so if he wanted to do anything with his brothers, it would be mundane by default.

a lot of it just sort of fell into place, As a tribal Miqo'te, it made sense that he would have some sort of mundane survival skills, its something I feel that you would develop in that sort of situation, plus, out of his family (not family group), he, his father and two of his sisters were the only ones to develop any affinity to the Aetheric, so if he wanted to do anything with his brothers, it would be mundane by default.

MMMM (rubs chin) I like it! makes sense and please post your story so i can read it! I love see what others write about.