Uh, Hello.

Greetings people of RPC, I come in peace.

For the time being, my name is Exe and i'm a 23 year old man from Ohio.  A couple days ago one of my friends was talking about her character or some RP or something along those lines in this game(I can't remember what started the conversation).  I started asking some questions and now here I am, waiting for open beta with bated breath.  

I've been aware of this game for quite some time, (Since that awesome cinematic that I've probably watched 50 times since it came out.) but always kept my distance because I was and still am burnt out on the current MMO mechanics of hotbars, casting orders and various other forms of button mashing gameplay. (Years of raiding as a conj in EQ2 can do that to a person)

Through a fair bit of research, reading and watching a very compelling series of videos simply titled I Remember, i decided to put a bit of thought into the game and have already started building the structure for my main character, a Summoner named Kaed. (I hope the class is a solid, fun pet class like it looks) 

I haven't tried my hand at ingame RP since TOR, which after several months of flailing around left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a bit of an aversion to MMO RP.  (It just didn't go well).  

So here I am, willing to give it another shot with a game that looks like it could be fun providing the gameplay mechanics don't turn me away at the starting gate.  (I'm only a medium RPer, i like to play end game pve and give my hand at crafting as well)

I read about the mentor system but i'm not really sure what it does, but i believe i could use the help of someone who knows whats going to get me on my feet.  I have not played any of the FF MMOs and really haven't touched a FF game since X on the PS2 (Aside from a bit of III on my android)

So yeah, that's about it.  Nice meeting whoever replies and i'll be lurking around the forums.

Hi hi~ Let me be the first to try and further assure that this game is worth roleplaying in. You probably heard that 1.0 at launch was teeeerrible, but many of us stuck around. Why? The roleplaying community! Even in a game of copy-pasta lands and houses with doors that don't open, the community built a rich world to RP in. We're still going strong, even with the game down, so we're not going anywhere~

All that said, welcome to the RPC! We're ready and waiting for any questions you might have about the game, about us, or whatever :3. If you need a run down on 1.0's lore, I'd check out this post and for anything else I'd look through the how-to guide and the smattering of other helpful hints we have in each forum section. Again, welcome~

Greetings people of RPC, I come in peace.

For the time being, my name is Exe and i'm a 23 year old man from Ohio.  A couple days ago one of my friends was talking about her character or some RP or something along those lines in this game(I can't remember what started the conversation).  I started asking some questions and now here I am, waiting for open beta with bated breath.  

I've been aware of this game for quite some time, (Since that awesome cinematic that I've probably watched 50 times since it came out.) but always kept my distance because I was and still am burnt out on the current MMO mechanics of hotbars, casting orders and various other forms of button mashing gameplay. (Years of raiding as a conj in EQ2 can do that to a person)

Through a fair bit of research, reading and watching a very compelling series of videos simply titled I Remember, i decided to put a bit of thought into the game and have already started building the structure for my main character, a Summoner named Kaed. (I hope the class is a solid, fun pet class like it looks) 

I haven't tried my hand at ingame RP since TOR, which after several months of flailing around left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a bit of an aversion to MMO RP.  (It just didn't go well).  

So here I am, willing to give it another shot with a game that looks like it could be fun providing the gameplay mechanics don't turn me away at the starting gate.  (I'm only a medium RPer, i like to play end game pve and give my hand at crafting as well)

I read about the mentor system but i'm not really sure what it does, but i believe i could use the help of someone who knows whats going to get me on my feet.  I have not played any of the FF MMOs and really haven't touched a FF game since X on the PS2 (Aside from a bit of III on my android)

So yeah, that's about it.  Nice meeting whoever replies and i'll be lurking around the forums.

welcome! I cant say much about the game (terms what not), but if have questions on role playing all of use here will be happy to help you.

Welcome! There is a decent amount of lore floating around on the wiki to help you get started until you can find someone to show you the ropes! I know a lot of vets here will definitely be excited to help you out. I personally didn't get into the lore in 1.0 because I suck, but I am definitely going to change that this time around.

Thanks for the quick replies.  I've already spent the majority of yesterday and today hitting the forums.  Watched all of I Remember, read and watched the 1.0 story arc and spent a fair bit browsing the Wikis.  There is still a lot I'm confused on.  I managed to work through 99/100 of the character questions i found on in the RP section.  That took a bit of time but i enjoyed it.

Thanks for the quick replies.  I've already spent the majority of yesterday and today hitting the forums.  Watched all of I Remember, read and watched the 1.0 story arc and spent a fair bit browsing the Wikis.  There is still a lot I'm confused on.  I managed to work through 99/100 of the character questions i found on in the RP section.  That took a bit of time but i enjoyed it.

Glad to hear you are doing your home work:geek:. If you like tell use wht you confused on maybe we can help.

23 years old from California here (well, I'll be 24 by launch...). Welcome, and hope to see you around some more! Definitely post some background about your character, particularly if you need some help with the creative process or the lore-mining process.

Well, It's not really confusion on specific, singular things but rather a more broad confusion about how a character would or should act or behave in the world itself and in certain situations.  For example, from a random idea i had during character brainstorming that lead to a focal point on my character is the fact that, although he knows magic, he has no grasp of healing magic.  In fact, he is so bad at it that if he tries to heal, it can violently backfire.  Unfortunately i do not know if this is even possible within the lore nor could i find any information on, say, how magic worked as a whole to try and work out a proper excuse.

Well, It's not really confusion on specific, singular things but rather a more broad confusion about how a character would or should act or behave in the world itself and in certain situations.  For example, from a random idea i had during character brainstorming that lead to a focal point on my character is the fact that, although he knows magic, he has no grasp of healing magic.  In fact, he is so bad at it that if he tries to heal, it can violently backfire.  Unfortunately i do not know if this is even possible within the lore nor could i find any information on, say, how magic worked as a whole to try and work out a proper excuse.

Ah well till you this my friend if you cant find it in lore and its not here on the site then we don't know any thing about it. Though from what you have here your guy sounds fine, and i don't think any one will care if it is little off of lore any way. Though I can recall From final fantasy 9 there where mages that failed at doing spells, granted they where puppets but none the less they failed and where tossed away. See as your guy can do black magic but not white magic i see no issues with it and i only ask when make story tell use how your white magic back fires.

tell use how your white magic back fires.

That is a very good question.  I'll have to try and learn about how white magic is supposed to work before i can answer that.  

Currently my character is  going to be following the Summoner Job, so (I guess, from what I've seen)  His magic is derived from geometric shapes or drawings.  I don't have a clue how they theoretically work though.

tell use how your white magic back fires.

That is a very good question.  I'll have to try and learn about how white magic is supposed to work before i can answer that.  

Currently my character is  going to be following the Summoner Job, so (I guess, from what I've seen)  His magic is derived from geometric shapes or drawings.  I don't have a clue how they theoretically work though.

This is some thing you have to look in to by reading up on more of the older final fantasy. Though you are right that circles play big part though i think that is more with summoning then any thing. If i'm right ( which i may not be) magic is the energy in you and only the people that an tap in to there life force or soul can release it.

Hmm.  Do you have any suggestions on a place to look?  I'm not very familiar with Final Fantasy outside of the limited knowledge i got from the couple games I've played (but regrettably never beaten)

I try more final fantasy 2 and up since the started go in more detail of how things work. Try XI sine that final fantasy was the old online one and may have some lore on magic. I will try see if i an find some thing my self to help you.

so far found out that first mage to ever come to final fantasy was a red mage final fantasy 1.... still looking.

i posted a thread to see what others may know on the subject, so let use hope some one can shine some light on the subject.

this what i know so far

Magic is, by definition, "the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques, that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature".

The Final Fantasy series feature many different methodologies and schools of magic, which is used in many different ways, manipulating the various forces and essences of nature through knowledge or various items, sometimes even bordering on scientific and technological methods similar to magic itself.

maybe this can help

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_(Term)