I have arrived!

Hello everybody! So yeah.... hehe I'm really bad at breaking the ice :blush:

Anywhoozies, I am pretty new to RPing and MMO's as a whole. I would like to consider myself pretty chill and I am psyched to be able to play this game!

I am currently undecided on which server I want to be in so it'll be sad that I won't get to see some of you unless I roll with 2 characters. But hopefully I'll be able to make new friends no matter where I go!

Sorry for the ultra awkward post everyone:dazed: I'm so bad at introductions!

Farewell for now fellow Eorzeans!

Welcome to the forum! Breaking the ice is always difficult, but once that first step is taken the rest is history! :3 I can understand what you mean about there being two servers, but I'm sure, which ever one you pick, you will make plenty of friends and meet loads of characters waiting to welcome you. I hope you have fun and feel free to ask questions or for help if you need any. :D

Welcome to the forum! Breaking the ice is always difficult, but once that first step is taken the rest is history! :3 I can understand what you mean about there being two servers, but I'm sure, which ever one you pick, you will make plenty of friends and meet loads of characters waiting to welcome you. I hope you have fun and feel free to ask questions or for help if you need any. :D

Thank you! I do have one question though. It might be stupid but here it goes...

What is the difference between a linkshell and Free company? From what I gather a FC is a large group of players who do stuff together but what is a linkshell? I've been tentative about joining either so hopefully you could clear it up :?

Welcome welcome welcome and now you have exercised the triforce of courage making your first post.  May you use the power of the triforce of wisdom for your server link shell and free company decisions.

May you call upon the triforce of power should you need help here and we will gladly help!  So glad to have you here!

Free Companies are "guilds" in the words of other MMOs. Keep in mind that we have in-game guilds as well, such as the Archers' Guild, Adventurers' Guild, etc, so we don't really call FCs guilds in XIV. xD Confusion would ensue. You are allowed to join one FC, and there are in-game perks associated with it (housing, rankings, some other stuff we don't know of yet).

Linkshells are actual items that exist in Eorzea that are used to communicate over distances. Think of them like a constant conference call. They're small enough to be worn on an earring and you are able to speak to other pearl-holders and hear them in return. In 1.0, these were all we had. They are used OOCly for social and endgame purposes, though I suspect more endgame pearls will be going to FCs, and ICly as ways to communicate with each other! :)

Free Companies are "guilds" in the words of other MMOs. Keep in mind that we have in-game guilds as well, such as the Archers' Guild, Adventurers' Guild, etc, so we don't really call FCs guilds in XIV. xD Confusion would ensue. You are allowed to join one FC, and there are in-game perks associated with it (housing, rankings, some other stuff we don't know of yet).

Linkshells are actual items that exist in Eorzea that are used to communicate over distances. Think of them like a constant conference call. They're small enough to be worn on an earring and you are able to speak to other pearl-holders and hear them in return. In 1.0, these were all we had. They are used OOCly for social and endgame purposes, though I suspect more endgame pearls will be going to FCs, and ICly as ways to communicate with each other! :)

Alright I think I got it thanks! :D So I can join a FC and have multiple linkshell, but wouldn't that sort of conflict with each other? Like say I wanted to join FC "green dragon" for example and a linkshell "Fire mole", could I divide time equally between them without ruining lore or neglecting one for the other? 

Sorry if I'm being confusing, just a lot to take in :dazed:

Alright I think I got it thanks! :D So I can join a FC and have multiple linkshell, but wouldn't that sort of conflict with each other? Like say I wanted to join FC "green dragon" for example and a linkshell "Fire mole", could I divide time equally between them without ruining lore or neglecting one for the other? 

Sorry if I'm being confusing, just a lot to take in :dazed:

Well, the don't conflict unless you let them. Linkshell chatter shows up in your window, but you can filter it out if you want. You can switch between them and talk. But if your Linkshell has an event planned on the same night as your FC, there will be conflict then of course! So basically any conflicts would be OOC.

IC, it's completely normal for a character to carry multiple linkpearls for communication with family and friends, as well as their employer, etc. :)