Considering having separate mains for rp and gameplay [at least at first]

I've come to the conclusion that I simply don't have a strong enough muse for Torn Sky to be able to RP her with any confidence once FFXIV goes into open beta. I can't decide what I want her personality to be. I can't decide what I want her story to be. I just don't have a voice for her right now. She is, however, aesthetically my favorite and I've decided that she is the avatar I want to experience the majority of gameplay with.

I don't have everything for them on paper yet, but what I DO have are a couple of alt concepts that are far more fleshed out than anything I've been able to come up with for Torn. So I figure... maybe I could just take up one of them as my primary roleplaying character of sorts? They would be my alt gameplay-wise but on the forefront RP-wise. 

It's still possible I'll come up with something for Torn down the road after I've gotten to play through lore and such, but it seems very much like I'll be avoiding roleplay with her until then because I was legit stressing about it. I hope it's not too annoying or confusing for anyone. This is also kind of a heads up so no one is surprised if I change my forum name to reflect a different character choice.

I'm sad about it, but she'll still be around! Lots! Just not in an RP stance for a while. :(

There's nothing inherently wrong with having separate characters for roleplay and actual gameplay. In the previous MMOs I roleplayed on, I first leveled to cap (mostly because I wanted to see all the available lore). That, at the end, gave me a better idea of what kind of character I wanted to play and what kind of story would fit the character I played with to that point.

With that said, have you roleplayed this character? Sometimes you have to 'wing it', so to speak, instead of planning heavily how the character will act. My suggestion would be that, if you haven't yet, to roleplay her once in a casual enviorement (like a tavern, a street meeting, etcetera). That way, her personality will grow organically, and you will get to know if you like her or not.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having separate characters for roleplay and actual gameplay. In the previous MMOs I roleplayed on, I first leveled to cap (mostly because I wanted to see all the available lore). That, at the end, gave me a better idea of what kind of character I wanted to play and what kind of story would fit the character I played with to that point.

With that said, have you roleplayed this character? Sometimes you have to 'wing it', so to speak, instead of planning heavily how the character will act. My suggestion would be that, if you haven't yet, to roleplay her once in a casual enviorement (like a tavern, a street meeting, etcetera). That way, her personality will grow organically, and you will get to know if you like her or not.

Thanks for the advice. By all means I'll still be playing the game on her a lot and will have every opportunity to try this if I feel up to it.

:moogle: