Huh? A Ferris Wheel?

Falkner

Heya, folks!

I guess I'll start a thread here to explain my idea of my first (yay!) FFXIV character.

I never played the legacy FFXIV though, but I kind of liked the concept of the Roegadyn race; tall, large frame, seems independent, dependable, and surely for those with that size will have a slightly different view (physically and mentally) of the world around them.

It is decided then that I'll create a Roegadyn as my RP character.

Insight, guidance, and (or) helps about this character is very greatly appreciated!

Name:

Eyriswyr Helbthorsyn a.k.a Ferris Wheel... or Mr. Wheel, Wheel-san, whatever.

Race:

Roegadyn, Sea Wolves, Male.

Appearance:

Sorry I can't have a fixed design on him yet, Don't really have the quota to download the character benchmark...

But here's how's he in my mind:

- Big Roegadyn male, heavy and tall,

- Dark skinned,

- About 36 - 40 y/o perhaps,

- Has a large patch of baldness on his head, but managed to grow what is left of his hair to a shoulder length or more.

- One of his eye is scarred and blind,

- Has various other scars and cut marks on his body,

- His belly is not six packs, not eight packs, but a measly one pack!

rmgi.jpg

Sorry for the rough sketch...

The Idea:

He is to RP as a comedic character.

A gentle, nature-loving giant; a simple man leading a simple life with an equally simple mind.  A simpleton perhaps?

He is not capable of thinking about complicated things, and his carefree nature does allow him to laugh at the little things in life.

He never really allocates too much of a brain processing of what is happening around him; the current trends, gossips, killer bargains, breaking news, he is oblivious to those-- preferring to live his life in his own pace.

He is a diehard animal lover, especially birds! Ah, such magnificent creature! He believes that if only he could grew colorful feathers, maybe he could fly too!

For a living... or more precisely-- to earn enough money to buy the next serving of his favorite Shrimp Rolls, he has done quite a handful of odd jobs here and there;

Once, he spends some years working in an understaffed orphanage, in its kitchen; preparing the dishes, cooking, and often also helps with the laundry, babysitting, reading bedtime stories, and more. A child at heart, he gets along with children easily enough although his slowness in thinking makes him a regular target of pranks.

Sometimes later he also works part time in a- yet again understaffed small restaurant which specializes in dumplings. Seafood dumplings! It is served while hot and super-steamy, full of juicy goodness and the fresh smell of sea!

Afterward, he spends some another good years working in an- guess what, another understaffed animal shelter. He made a lot of furry friends there. Really fun! Because unlike people, animals don't judge and that makes him feel at peace.

Finally, the one and only reason this guy travels ALL across Hydaelyn and got involved in so many troubles and misadventures is to look for his missing pet bird from the shelter! His MOST favorite pet bird!

axrq.jpg

"Have you seen my bird? Eh, you do? Really? THIS Bird?"

Oh and Eyriswyr is not a brawler. He is strong given his size, but he is not fond of violence, especially if it against the wildlife.

In his mission of searching for his lost bird, he unwittingly involved in many journey along with the other adventurers and... usually much to the dismay of his party, this guy just cannot put that massive body size to good use, prefers the supportive role of the medic instead.

Well, as a chef he indeed has experiences in regards to bone and flesh structures, and from years in animal shelter he is no stranger in mending the wounds of animals such as dogs, cats, raccoon, parakeets... can it safely be applied to humans too?

A-anyway he could now announce that he is an experienced medic- even on his way to become a White Mage!

A White Mage with biceps to boot!

About the Nickname:

When Eyriswyr got to the big city for the first time, he befriends a friendly Lalafell tour guide who cannot easily got hold of Eyriswyr's name, referring to him as "Mr. Ferris Wheel" instead.

At first of course, Eyriswyr disagree, "Who? Ferris Wheel? That's not me!"

"But... Mister, you just said that yourself! Your name is 'Erris Wheer!", the Lalafell defends.

"Uhh... I did said that?", Eyriswyr ponders for a while, "Well, maybe that's how the folks in big city rolls huh?"

"Rolls? Yes! Rolls! Uh-huh uh-huh!", the Lalafell nods quickly, "You know, Ferris Wheel is a very good name for a very good object, Mister!"

"Ehh... Object?"

"Uhhh...", the Lalafell tries to choose his words, "You know, Mister, it's a big, VERY big circular thing that goes round and round and round! Great invention of the Hyur! Great entertainment!"

"Ohh! Hahahah!", Eyriswyr seems delighted, "That Ferris Wheel sounds a LOT like me! Well except for the circular, round and round, invention of Hyur, and the great entertainment... Anyway, I like it!"

And so from then on, Eyriswyr introduces himself as Ferris Wheel for the non-Roegadyn people he met because, well you know, having a "big city" name is good for getting along with big city people, and people of big city are good sources of information regarding your lost bird!

- Animals; and among the faunas, birds always have a special place in Eyriswyr's heart.

- Food. Seafood especially. The surefire way to win Eyriswyr's affection (and attention) is through his stomach! Some shrimps in the ingredients will not hurt either.

- Shrimp Rolls. What? No, Shrimp Rolls are not the same as food! Not for Eyriswyr, because he worships them, prays to them, and swears by them!

- Lalafells. Why? No particular reasons really. Maybe because his first friend is a Lalafell, or maybe because Eyriswyr's protective nature feels that these diminutive race... is in need of a BIG friend who would look out for them!

Dislikes:

- Cats; Miqo'te included. Why? Because there's nothing but troubles with cats! These creatures stalk and pounce his birds all the time! Cats also regularly steal his Shrimp Rolls! What do these have to do with Miqo'te? Well I guess Eyriswyr is just not very fond of cat ears... or tails.

- Fights. Fistfights especially, because Eyriswyr believes that everything can be settled peacefully if only people (and animals, monsters) would just hug each other and go order Shrimp Rolls at the nearest stand.

---

Edit:

A little disappointed that there are no options for long hairstyles or shades of dark brown skins for the Sea Wolves but... here comes Mr. Wheel!

jz11.jpg

I actually think this is a very interesting concept--well-thought out and very detailed, especially for a first character. You seem like a person who puts a great deal of care into their ideas and characters.

The art doesn't look too rough at all, and I can tell a great deal about him from simply looking at it. I enjoy the colors; it looks almost like a watercolor painting.

I'd offer advice, but you seem to know what you're doing. Hopefully I may see you around Balmung sometime--my character is a Miqo'te but is (fortunately?) not too cat-like in his mannerisms, nearly not at all. It would be interesting if they met.

I do think it's good that Eyriswyr will provide comic relief. A lot of the RP I've seen in other games has been very dark or overdramatic, and I'm guilty of this myself. Sometimes I take things too seriously. Laughter is good.

Thanks for the positive remarks, Fenrir! That means a lot.

I don't really know how I'm gonna show the comic-relief sides of Mr. Wheel in game, but I promise I'll try my best. :blush:

Most probably if Ferris Wheel meets Kevaraan (and his party) somewhere in public, Wheel will simply asks, "Have you seen this bird somewhere?" *Shows and points into a crumply wanted poster in Wheel's other hand.

Hmm,

Balmung seems to be an obvious choice for me so, yeah Balmung then.

I wonder if giving Mr. Wheel a certain disposition against Miqo'te would actually bring more troubles than it seems because... it looks like the kitty tribe is going to dominate the majority of PC characters :D

Quite an acceptable answer :thumbsup: !

Yay! Balmung!

Well then...

Sir Wheel is free to ask Chiané the location of his pretty birdie...

;) see you there!

Sure! Wheel will do that if Chiane is hanging out somewhere in public.

For Miqo'te PCs though, I don't think Mr. Wheel is keen on approaching an individual Miqo'te no matter how tempting. He learned his lessons that stray cats are best left alone, especially if it's regarding a furry, flighty subject. They do shenanigans!

Eh, I can't really say the bird is pretty. From the doodles on the "wanted poster" that Wheel brings, it is supposed to be "Strange looking... bird? It seems to be an airhead, a dork, or both!" :D

For Miqo'te PCs though, I don't think Mr. Wheel is keen on approaching an individual Miqo'te no matter how tempting. He learned his lessons that stray cats are best left alone, especially if it's regarding a furry, flighty subject. They do shenanigans!

There's going to be your problem, Mr Wheel. Don't know if you noticed from the various surveys or postings of player's characters, but Miqo'te are the dominant race on Bizarro-Eorza...as thick as flies on a roadkill :roll:

Don't worry, Duskwights are good at standing in the shadows, then jumping out, stamping their foot, and "hissing" at them...usually sends the typical cat-person into their straight-tail fear posture, followed by a run in the opposite direction :lol:

Well, it works on actual cats, at least :dodgy:

Hey hey that sounds like fun! Should be applied to a light RP situation sometimes! :lol:

That big guy Wheel is surely be interested in doing pranks like that with you, although I bet that he'll fail pretty much miserably because of his large frame (which negates the hiding act), or his ever-rumbling stomach, or the smells of Shrimps in his lunchbox... nor did he has the subtlety of his shadow-dwelling Duskwight pranksmate. :D

Well then...

Sir Wheel is free to ask Chiané the location of his pretty birdie...

;) see you there!

Sure! Wheel will do that if Chiane is hanging out somewhere in public.

Eh, I can't really say the bird is pretty. From the doodles on the "wanted poster" that Wheel brings, it is supposed to be "Strange looking... bird? It seems to be an airhead, a dork, or both!" :D

Not a problem.

Chiané is a Duskwright.... ;)

*watches for :chocobo:*

Not a problem.

Chiané is a Duskwright.... ;)

*watches for :chocobo:*

Duskwight seems to be a dangerous bunch of people (elves?) though. Should be approaching one with caution too then :D

Hope to meet you in game, Chiane!

ps: finally gave in to the temptation and downloaded the character benchmark...

"Eehh? You've seen my bird?! Thank you! Wheel's on his way right away!"

*Wheel quickly pack his things up and give a friendly pats to the grinning Lalafell on the head.*

[What a brute! Wheel's palm is about the size of the Lalafell's head, it's scary!]

"Birdieee! I'm coming to you! wait for meee~", shouts the Roegadyn as he sprints to the direction given by the Lalafell.

Man, that guy surely can run.

-and there goes Eyriswyr the Ferris Wheel. Let's hope that the poor fella does not bump into too much trouble... or another napalm-spitting lizard this time.

No worries. You'll find most RPers are pretty patient and kind people.

.... not all, unfortunately... but most.

Just have to go out there and give it a shot. I'm willing to bet if you met anyone from this site, you'd have no problem :)

I'll do my best! Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup:

Get your fresh grilled bird here!  

Grilled bird, fried bird, bird cordon bleu, even bird au vin...

Just kidding  :D  bird that away... Si points down the street at the trail of :chocobo: feathers.

"B... Birdie, i-is that you, Birdie? *Sniff-- Why are you covered in flour, all oily and brownish like that, Birdie?" :cry:

That's not bird, it's. Um. Corn! Yes, it's corn!

Bird is that way, hurry hurry! :arrow:

As previously stated, most role players are patient. Just keep at it until you fall in with a group you like! You seem to have a very engaging character.

:D

That's not bird, it's. Um. Corn! Yes, it's corn!

Bird is that way, hurry hurry!  :arrow:

As previously stated, most role players are patient. Just keep at it until you fall in with a group you like! You seem to have a very engaging character.

:D

:thumbsup:

"Eeehh? Corn? Grilled Corn? W-with hot sauce maybe? Sprinkle some cheese, yes?",

*Pauses and inhales deeply, eyes shut, and starts drooling;

"Mmmmh, Co-orn...", looking lost in his thought of grilled-corn-filled paradise...