So about my character...

So, I had been kind of looking and peeking around the wiki and its lore and whatnot, and realized that my Miqo'te (current name Juniper Rosenburg) doesn't really fit the Miqo'te lore very well, especially her name, which sounds much more Hyur than Miqo'te. So, I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now, but I've been indecisive about the whole thing, so I figured "Hey! Why not ask some people on the forum about it!", and so here we are!

But anyway, I should probably cut the chase and get to the actual question here.

Her name doesn't really fit the Miqo'te naming conventions, but I like the way it sounds, and it kind of fits with her character. So, should I just change her name and get it over with, or should I just come up with some sort of IC explanation for it (adopted, name-changed, etc. etc.)?

What do you guys think?

If you like the name, I'd be more on the side of keeping it. I think you would rather have a name that you like than a name you felt like you "have" to have.

There are simple ways to explain non-conventional names. My Miqo'te's name is Garryson Shipkeeper. Obviously not a Miqo'te tribe name. But my character was given the name by the Hyur who raised him. He was probably given a tribal name, but he has no idea what it is.

Does your character actually come straight out of one of the Miqo'te tribes? Or was she raised in a city-state? If her background is more urban, I wouldn't see much of a problem keeping a more Hyur sounding name. Or if she left the tribal life to live in the cities, she could adopt a new name for herself.

But that's just my biased opinion. My character basically thinks of himself as a Hyur with a tail.

While I am for the naming convention, at the same time you should also do what you like most. If you like how your character's name sounds and it fits with what you have then keep it by all means. You can always write in some lore as to why your Miqo'te is different than the others; adoption being a very easy one to pull off.

My character I went partially with the Midlander naming system, Fiona is a very Celtic name. Swift is short for Swiftarrow (The last name I used in Lord of the Rings online) since her family has been experts with Bows / Archery Champions. Hyur is rather easy to work with though.

Go with what you like, I mean you have to like your character before anything else. Could be she is adopted, or maybe changed her name / identity to create a more cultured appearance. You could also go with Miqo'te that is a Keeper of the Moon and since that is a Matriarchal society, she could of just been like "I like this name!"

:cactuar:

I would say keep it if you like it, and if it still bugs you that it is "out of the lore" justify it in a reasonable way (chaning her own name due to leaving her tribe, being named and raised by a Hyur family, a nickname).

I'm trying to come with a short but decent explanation to the name VIII. My best idea at the moment is adopting his own codename as a way to protect his roots, or something on the lines.

It is your story too, so mold it as you like :D

If you like the name, I'd be more on the side of keeping it. I think you would rather have a name that you like than a name you felt like you "have" to have.

There are simple ways to explain non-conventional names. My Miqo'te's name is Garryson Shipkeeper. Obviously not a Miqo'te tribe name. But my character was given the name by the Hyur who raised him. He was probably given a tribal name, but he has no idea what it is.

Does your character actually come straight out of one of the Miqo'te tribes? Or was she raised in a city-state? If her background is more urban, I wouldn't see much of a problem keeping a more Hyur sounding name. Or if she left the tribal life to live in the cities, she could adopt a new name for herself.

But that's just my biased opinion. My character basically thinks of himself as a Hyur with a tail.

Yeah, I see what you mean. My original idea for her family and whatnot was more along the lines of a sort of nuclear family, but maybe not living in the city, per-say. Though, of course, I could always change her history a bit to make her match up, like, maybe one of her parents is a hyur or she was adopted, or I could just move the place she grew up to somewhere more urban. But, personally, I think having her be raised in a tribal setting just wouldn't be as interesting for me. (No offense to anyone who rps tribal situations or characters!! It's just not really my cup of tea, you know?)

I would say keep it if you like it, and if it still bugs you that it is "out of the lore" justify it in a reasonable way (chaning her own name due to leaving her tribe, being named and raised by a Hyur family, a nickname).

I'm trying to come with a short but decent explanation to the name VIII. My best idea at the moment is adopting his own codename as a way to protect his roots, or something on the lines.

It is your story too, so mold it as you like :D

Makes sense! To be honest, I'm actually sort of leaning towards the "raised by a Hyur family" sort of thing. Although, I still have no idea how'd she'd up getting adopted, but I think that'd just take some fixing up and ironing out, so I think it just might be the best option.

While I am for the naming convention, at the same time you should also do what you like most.   If you like how your character's name sounds and it fits with what you have then keep it by all means.   You can always write in some lore as to why your Miqo'te is different than the others; adoption being a very easy one to pull off.

My character I went partially with the Midlander naming system, Fiona is a very Celtic name. Swift is short for Swiftarrow (The last name I used in Lord of the Rings online) since her family has been experts with Bows / Archery Champions.    Hyur is rather easy to work with though.  

Go with what you like, I mean you have to like your character before anything else.  Could be she is adopted, or maybe changed her name / identity to create a more cultured appearance. You could also go with Miqo'te that is a Keeper of the Moon and since that is a Matriarchal society, she could of just been like  "I like this name!"

:cactuar:

Thanks! Like I said in replies to other people, I think I'll be going with the Hyur-adopted thing, and just kind of iron out any kinks that may appear along the way. :)

Kassandra Dawn 

If you like it: KEEP IT! Kass's name doesn't fit naming conventions and my ic explanation is that her parents were city born and didn't want to use traditional names.

who cares if you don't use a traditional name. It's not like your going with xxsepirothxx

Hah, true true! (Yes, now I'll make sure my next character is named "xxsephirothxx Xxcloud666" :evil:)

Keep the naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!

Juniper is a cool name, I think. I don't know why, but I like it.

And hey, maybe it's not her given name, just a name she took for herself going adventuring, or maybe people started calling her Juniper for some reason and stuck and se later added a last name to match... there could be any reason!

If you keep the name, justify it in story.

Remember, it's not a name you're choosing. You're also choosing the reactions of other Miqo'te when they meet your character. There's never going to be a point wherein you won't have to explain it in character -- each new Miqo'te has an equal chance of asking it and pestering about it for good or for ill. If that's something that you like - proving yourself to others time and again that there's no such thing as a "real Miqo'te" and that you're just as much Miqo'te as them? That's fine. If you don't mind traditionalist Miqo'te potentially disliking your character on general principle upon hearing your name? That's fine, too.

If that sort of thing would frustrate you, I suggest changing it.

No matter what anyone says about "nice" or what not... that's something that's likely to happen IC. And it's not people being mean, jerks, or passive-aggressive... but there are PLENTY of characters that are going to react that way. And I've seen people get frustrated because they continually had to prove themselves time and again to each new person that came in.

So... again, if you're chill with that, go for it. It's interesting. If you're not? Don't.

I made my character's name way back in 1.0 when I didn't know anything about naming conventions. In going back and writing up her backstory, I decided she changed it in the last year from Mikhi Trikhel, her tribal name, when she moved to Ul'dah. There's lots of options.

The real jerk of the situation - you hit the nail right on the head there.

Naming conventions came only recently all things considered so a lot of people have characters they're porting without a history/culture that they realistically couldn't have had in the first place which people are going to question ICly why they don't. :dazed:

Timey wimey weirdness, isn't it?

I think when it comes to situations like this you can always look at real life sociology to help answer it.I say keep it because we see things like this happen in our society everyday, especially in America where there are tons of people from different backgrounds and cultures mixing together.

She could have had parents who wanted to make it easier for her to assimilate into society outside of her home land and gave her that name. Heck, the Hellsguard ditched their Roegadyn names for something that could be spoken more easily in the common tongue. Dennthota becomes Thunder Daughter in the common tongue. I have a friend whose family came straight from Guam, but her name is Sheryll and a friend from Japan with the name Rick, both very European American names. Nothing wrong with having a name outside of lore, especially if its a name that is very Hyur sounding as Hyur are the dominate race in Eorzea. Now you would probably need a decent story if your Miqo'te had say a Lallafell or Elezen based name.

I made my character's name way back in 1.0 when I didn't know anything about naming conventions.  In going back and writing up her backstory, I decided she changed it in the last year from Mikhi Trikhel, her tribal name, when she moved to Ul'dah.  There's lots of options.

The real jerk of the situation - you hit the nail right on the head there.

Naming conventions came only recently all things considered so a lot of people have characters they're porting without a history/culture that they realistically couldn't have had in the first place which people are going to question ICly why they don't.  :dazed:

Timey wimey weirdness, isn't it?

We did have naming conventions back then.

I know Z's and a few other letters were often used for Keeper names (hence my own catgirl Azyria Zyada), I know Seekers had apostrophes in their names and all Miqo'te had short ones... I know Elezen sound French... I know Lalafel names were pretty established as they are now...

It's just that now we've got this all more detailed and more people know about it.

So it's not new it's more.. more easily available and more detailed.

That said naming conventions are a guide, not a restriction.

Keep the naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!

Juniper is a cool name, I think. I don't know why, but I like it.

And hey, maybe it's not her given name, just a name she took for herself going adventuring, or maybe people started calling her Juniper for some reason and stuck and se later added a last name to match... there could be any reason!

Hah, I know right? It's pretty fun to say! Juniper. . . juniper . . . . . juniper . . . . . . .

Posted by Siuane Raih'li - Today 06:42 PM

I say stick with the name.  Many of us Miqo'te aren't in tribes so it creates more backstory for you.  Mostly if you like it then you'll have more fun with it!

Plus I always liked the name Juniper!

Makes sense, yeah. I think most of what I was worried about is like "Oh no what if everyone other than me is going with naming conventions though!!". So it's a huge relief that there other people who aren't really using name conventions.

Posted by Koren - Today 06:47 PM

-snip!-

Hmm, personally I think I'm fine with dealing with the IC consequences. I mean, I doubt it'd be much of a problem, aside from maybe the occasional annoyance, but I think it's a lot more interesting when separate RP characters kind of clash or whatever. But yeah, I doubt I've really got too terribly much to lose in that regard.

Posted by LandStander - Today 07:18 PM

I think when it comes to situations like this you can always look at real life sociology to help answer it.I say keep it because we see things like this happen in our society everyday, especially in America where there are tons of people from different backgrounds and cultures mixing together. 

She could have had parents who wanted to make it easier for her to assimilate into society outside of her home land and gave her that name. Heck, the Hellsguard ditched their Roegadyn names for something that could be spoken more easily in the common tongue. Dennthota becomes Thunder Daughter in the common tongue. I have a friend whose family came straight from Guam, but her name is Sheryll and a friend from Japan with the name Rick, both very European American names. Nothing wrong with having a name outside of lore, especially if its a name that is very Hyur sounding as Hyur are the dominate race in Eorzea. Now you would probably need a decent story if your Miqo'te had say a Lallafell or Elezen based name.

Guess I never really thought of it that way! Still, I think I'll stick with the whole "raised by Hyur family", since it's probably easier to explain that way heheh :D