Faolan Vale

I. Basic Info 

• Characters: Faolan Vale (no plans to roleplay an alt)

• Primarycharacter: Faolan Vale

• Linkshells: TBD

• Primary RP linkshell: TBD

II. RP Style 

• Amount of RP (light,medium, heavy):
    Medium to Heavy. I prefer an immersive RPenvironment, but I do not play in-character 24/7 because there are some aspects of the game I might enjoy that are sometimes completely unsuitable to a given character concept. For example, dabbling in armorsmithing or mining would be completely OOC for Faolan …but since we can level all professions on one character, I still might pick them up for so I can craft my own gear.

• Views on RP combat andinjuries:
    My preferences for RP combat include emotingand/or dice rolling. I’m not a fan of using PvP to resolve combat because this method uses OOC skills to resolve IC conflicts, and does not really allow for a fair playing field IMHO. I understand that many people enjoy both PvP and RP, but I do not consider it impartial to essentially oblige players to develop PvP skills in order to have a fighting chance in RP combat, especially when a player may not even enjoy this particular aspect of the game. Rolling tends to be my method of preference when RP’ing with strangers; when playing with friends, I enjoy simply emoting out combat because it is the least immersion-breaking method. My preference for injury-related RP isbasically Allowable-With-Consent. I try to phrase every emoted attack in such a way that the target decides whether the attack lands and what sort of effect it has on their character, because I strongly believe that the only person who can dictate character-altering consequences is the player of the targeted character. This includes everything from minor scratches to fatal blows. If I do intend to attempt inflicting serious injury, often I’ll whisper the person to obtain their OOC consent.

• Views on ICromance:
    I prefer RP that uses romance as a possiblesub-plot rather than a definite main plot. Focusing strictly on romance tends to yield rather stale RP, and I’ve rarely seen such RP remain drama-free. Romance RP also tends to be problematic in today’s world of casual game-hopping; many gamers play a variety of games for only a couple months each instead of one game for a couple years, especially in a F2P-heavy market. This results in a lot of population shifts, and trying to force romantic coupling amidst such a fluid environment causes unrealistically- swift -developing love interests that flare and fall in a matter of days. This sort of RP makes me feel like I’m in a soap opera; I’d much prefer let any sort of romantic attachment develop naturally over a realistic time frame, and not use it to dominate my RP stories.

• Views on non-romantic RP(family ties, etc):
    Again, Allowable-With-Consent. Consensuallydeveloping related characters among multiple players provides an extra “in” for RP/introductions/character development, which I whole-heartedly applaud. Additionally, sometimes it is fun to explore what essentially amounts to live backstory. However I would be rather annoyed if someone randomly ran up to my character and claimed to be my sibling/spouse/parent/distant relative, because I may not even have such a person in my character’s backstory; and now I’m placed in the awkward position of either asking this player to alter their entire character concept or completely adjusting my own character’s history to accommodate their whim. Neither is a pleasant situation, and it’s best avoided by obtaining consent prior to developing such relations.

• Views on lore:
    I try to follow lore as much as possible; in myview, the lore provides the backbone for all sorts of branching stories, and basically starts everyone off with the same backdrop. Plus, Square Enix has always provided incredible lore for their games; it seems a shame to disregard their efforts.

• Views on chat functions(/say, /linkshell, etc):
    Personally, I generally prefer to keep /say,/tell, and emotes IC and any sort of party chat OOC. Making OOC comments in /say tends to be immersion-breaking for the other players around me, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

III. Other Info 

• Timezone: EasternStandard Timezone

• Contact info: Faolan Vale, either in-game or through website PM’s