Would You Join?

Chveya

Please read below before selecting an option.  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Please read below before selecting an option.

• Yes.
    • Yes, and I'm interested in being an "officer".
    • No.
    • No, and I think it's a bad idea (please explain below).

Here's the basic idea / question.

Would you join a LS that 'existed' in a purely OOC sense, it's sole purpose to function as a primarily-OOC means to communication for RPers? ** NOTE! This is NOT a "freelancer" LS; this is not an IC LS. This is an LS for EVERYONE and ANYONE who wants to maintain OOC communication with other RPers via the LS's communication channel. **

So far, I haven't seen any sign of player-created chat channels in-game. I'm sure at -some- point they may be implemented, but until then, there's virtually no way in-game for a large quantity of RPers to keep in contact; for spontaneous RP, for grouping, for absolutely random chit-chat and banter.

If there's enough positive response to this idea, I will be happy to start it up. HOWEVER, I did not order the CE, so I cannot be in-game until at LEAST launch day.

This will, additionally, require a handful of people who would be willing to handle whatever is responsible for getting others invited into the LS -- I didn't managed to actually see the invitation process during beta, but I understand you need to physically meet to trade the linkpearl? So if you're interested, AND willing to be one of those people, please let me know.

Just throwing this out there but...

Why does there have to be a split between freelancers and LS'd people when it comes to an OOC chat channel so RP meet-ups can occur?

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a General RPC Linkshell for everyone (Freelancers and those in an "official" LS) that would serve as OOC chat for meet-ups and such?

Why does there have to be a split between freelancers and LS'd people when it comes to an OOC chat channel so RP meet-ups can occur?

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a General RPC Linkshell for everyone (Freelancers and those in an "official" LS) that would serve as OOC chat for meet-ups and such?

I like the Idea of a General RPC Linkshell that would serve as OOC chat for meet-ups, not a bad idea at all.

The first thing I have to say is what while an OOC RPers channel is fine and all, I'd hate to see it turn into a planning room for RP sessions at the expense of freeflowing in-world RP.

Aside from my personal feeling, just keep in mind that there is a character limit of I believe 132 (or somewhere in the 130s) for a linkshell. That alone cuts the viability of this proposal significantly. In addition, there is currently no way to kick players from linkshells without first getting in targeting range, so god forbid you end up with a harassment situation, good luck resolving it. SE dropped the ball a bit on that one.

Because so far there are no user channels, Linkshells are basically just a chat channel and a horrible crest next to your name, and the RPC has over 700 members while Linkshells are limited to 128, making an RPC Linkshell impossible. ^^;

As for a General chat for meetups and such, well... this idea worked miracles in CO, but in CO, it really was a general channel that included any and all who wanted in, as opposed to simply freelancers. That said, Linkshells already have their RP potential so Freelancers might need that extra help when looking for something specific. Open world RP is all well and good but not always the best place to ask for RP adventuring, for example.

I'm all for this idea and would not mind handing out linkpearls to interested individuals. The member limit may be something of an issue, but it's better than nothing. Alas, I don't really see SE doing global chat channels, but I still think this could be a helpful tool for those who may not have an active RP LS to turn to. Random in the world RP is great and all, but we have no way of identifying roleplayers without first knowing them by name. Even having something like this could help out in that regard.

There doesn't need to be a split. This version of the idea came about because there were too many reasons that different people wanted to be freelance -- everything from a disinterest in being in a LS at all, to just not having found the right one yet.

So we removed the freelancer idea totally, and came up with the idea of just making it for NOTHING MORE than the communications aspect. It's nothing more than a great big chat channel. There's no LS structure (short of needing a few good folks to help invite everyone) and there's no IC aspect to it whatsoever.

It's just a way to help everyone communicate better in-game, rather than having to tab out when you're logged in just to check a forum, IRC channel, or messenger window.

And obviously if it's something you don't want to be a part of' date=' there's no pressure. I think most LSers will stick to their linkshells, but it'd be nice to have a general chat to go to if, say, your LS is empty.[/quote']

And I think there'd probably be enough folks who've got enough communication as-is, between their friends, LS, and whatever else they're doing. I can see where the member limit COULD be problematic, but I'm honestly very skeptical that it'll ever be a problem.

In any game I've ever been in, in which there was a channel arranged for RP'ers specifically, I've never seen the number of participants approach or break 100. I'm aware of how many folks we have just on RPC, of course, but if you look at how many of them are broadly active? I think that might be a fair representation of how many people one could expect to actually get involved.

I'd love, of course, to be proven wrong. xD

In addition' date=' there is currently no way to kick players from linkshells without first getting in targeting range, so god forbid you end up with a harassment situation, good luck resolving it. SE dropped the ball a bit on that one.[/quote']

Now THIS is very worth knowing, and I thank you for bringing it up.

I suppose that's definitely possible; though I'd hate to see someone who is -probably- (but not necessarily) from RPC would behave like that.

So what about different linkshells for different time-zones?

Might help keeping the limit?

And I am an EU-gamer, so I am 6 hours "earlier" than Eastern time, f.e.

Your 9pm event would be 4 in the moring here :)

This particular LS will not be hosting events. And I think until the numbers become a problem, we shouldn't need to split up to accomodate timezones.

In fact, having EU players involved might be nice for those of us who keep really odd late-night / early-morning hours.

So what about different linkshells for different time-zones?

Might help keeping the limit?

And I am an EU-gamer, so I am 6 hours "earlier" than Eastern time, f.e.

Your 9pm event would be 4 in the moring here :)

This particular LS will not be hosting events. And I think until the numbers become a problem, we shouldn't need to split up to accomodate timezones.

In fact, having EU players involved might be nice for those of us who keep really odd late-night / early-morning hours.

Such as myself.

^I like. If only!

Essentially that is what this would be. It's a shell for everyone' date=' OOC. You can do your talking and planning there if you want.[/quote']

Exactly. That's the idea.

It didn't make sense, given the turn-out that seemed interested, to keep it freelancer-only. But it did make sense to create it for the sole purpose of OOC communication.

I'm a little worried that I didn't make that clear enough in my initial post, given that this isn't the first post in the thread expressing confusion or misunderstanding of the idea? Did I done mess up?