A Cup Tea?

Aya

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aya cast a bright smile Coatleque's way.  At least 25 gil was not much of a loss for the trouble.  "Don't let him bother you, at least we'll have a story to tell, right?" she grinned to the paladin as she started to lead them further down the avenue. 

"The cafe I have in mind is just a little way further, its a quiet little spot, I think you'll like it!"

"Yes, of course", she replied. A story. She wasn't sure she would be wanting to share this particular story with anyone else she knew.

She followed Aya as they continued along. For all her years in the city, these roads were still unfamiliar to her. She tried to take in as much of the surroundings as she could, between avoiding others in the road and keeping her dress from dragging through anything unpleasant. "They do have a place to sit, I hope!"

Aya smiled bright, with the playful cant of her head as she leaned back, looking at Coatleque.  The paladin did not quite seem to get it, the story was not one to be shared with others, but to be remembered as a shared experience between the two - the very essence of the bond between friends.  If that passed over Coatleque's head now, at least Aya's friendly smile, would not.

"Of coooooourse!  Just where do you think I would take you?" she laughed in reply, "Its a wonderful place to sit, and let the world just go by outside."

She lead the pair a little further along the street, the target of their journey coming into sight.  The cafe's storefront was simple itself, a wooden door and mesh-screen covered window set against the stone construction of the city itself.  She had seen many of its like before, often with tables and chairs set outside to host customers on fairer days - here she saw a single chair and table, where a grey-beareded man smiled, nodding and waving periodically to passersby.

The Knight smiled back to Aya. She might not admit it openly, but she could do with simply watching the world go by right now rather than always being a part of it.

When they finally reached their destination she looked over the storefront. It was small enough to her that she probably would have passed it by without a second thought on any normal day. As they walked up to the entrance the old man smiled at them. Coatleque could not help but to smile back with a slight curtsey.

Passing through the door and into the cafe was an experience - the heady fragrance of tea and incense greeted Coatleque as she entered behind Aya, eyes taking a moment to adjust to the somewhat dimmer interior.  Despite the nondescript exterior, a characteristic of the standstone city of Ul'dah itself, the interior was handsomely decorated and furnished.  From the walls hung colorful tapestries, accompanying the rugs that covered the tile floor.  Behind a wood and metal counter stood the proprietor wearing a welcoming smile.  Behind him, neatly stacked and organized were numerous cups, saucers, and box, after box of the dried herbs that were the lifeblood of his commerce.

His smile was broad and friendly, followed by a nod, not unusual for an Ul'dahn businessman.  He welcomed them both with a smooth baritone voice, that stopped just shy of booming, "Ah, Aya!  It is always a pleasure to see you, and I see you have brought a friend today, please, take a seat, take a seat!"

The area within the cafe itself seemed quite a bit larger than the building would have suggested - although not very wide, it pushed deep away from the avenue itself, its interior filled with a variety of small circular tables, with chairs, and a collection of couches and divans looking both comfortable, and warn.

Aya smiled, "Good moooorning, Asmet!" she grinned, in her friendly, smiling voice.  She motioned Coatleque toward a divan near the entrance, that faced the mesh-screened window to the avenue.  The furniture of this sitting area was the finest in the cafe, being the first to be noticed when a new customer came through the door.  A small coffee table stood before it, decorated a glass and metal lantern, and a small vase holding a few blooming flowers.   Aya took her seat, carefully adjusting her skirt, as she glanced out the window at the traffic outside, "Its one of my favorite spots!" she turned toward the paladin, smiling.

The size of the shop's interior certainly did surprise her. Coatleque just stood at the door slightly dumfounded until Aya motioned her to the seat. She quickly complied, settling in at the corner of the sofa then flattened out her dress.

Looking around the room again and inhaling the mixed smell of tea and spice she nodded once to Aya. The scent was already helping her to relax. "I can see why this is your favorite. This place is wonderful. So beautiful, yet so hidden away!" Again her eyes roamed around the decor.

Aya smiled as she looked around as well, in response to Coatleque.  She lets herself settle into the cushion of the divan, crossing her legs, resting one hand between them and the other on the couch.  "Ul'dah is like that... everything is so nondescript, just a little door off the street, and you never know what you'll find when you walk inside!"

As they watched, the proprieter of the shop, walked from behind his counter to approach the ladies, with is friendliest expression.  "Ladies, could I get you anything?"

Aya looked to Coatleque for a moment, smiling, before nodding to the gentleman.  "A full pot of tea, please, something a little rich!  Oh, and a pasty we can share!"

The gentleman nodded, "Yes, yes, of course!  Would you like any cream? Sugar?" he looked between the two, while Aya glanced to Coatleque unsure of her preferences.

She looked up with a smile and replied "Yes, to both please!" before settling her gaze back towards Aya once more.

Her posture was still rather rigid though her head canted downward slightly. She took a rather deep breath.

"I would imagine this is a welcome change. Being served rather than serving others? I suppose we are somewhat alike in that manner so to speak. How is life at the Quicksand recently anyway? It seems there has been another recent influx of new adventurers through the gates. But how dreadfully pedestrian of me, I am sure you don't want to talk about work in your time away. It seems as if that is all I know these days. And my these flowers are lovely aren't they?"

She finished with a quick gesture to the vase on the table.

Aya just grinned with a look of genuine happiness as she listened to Coatleque.  Despite her rigid posture, she seemed, for once, to truly be letting her mind wonder.

"Oh, I do love being served!" she laughed, "Just a little reminder that I'm a real person, you know?" she let out another little laugh, looking down at the flowers.  "Oh I don't mind talking about work!  Its just nice to get to sit down with you, we can talk about whatever you'd like!"  She looked at the flowers, admiring the colorful little reminders of natural beauty amidst the city of baked stone. 

"We could use more of these inside the walls, couldn't we?" she grinned again, enjoying the respite the little cafe provided from the heat, movement, and intensity of the day unwinding outside its door.  Through the mesh screen the crowd upon the street remained just visible, moving still with the energy of the day and all the business and commerce it suggested;the sound drifted in like a far-away hum, providing just enough distance to separate the senses from it.

"I know some of the nicer areas have flowers like these around the houses.. but I could sure use more of their color every day!"

The Knight seemed to relax the more Aya spoke. It may have been the quiet, or perhaps her lightheartedness. Her head canted to the side away from the tilt of her beret. "Why not in the Quicksand? Has Mistress Momodi forbidden flowers at the tables? Though I do suppose the Adventurer's guild may take offence."

She looked around the room once more. "Talk about whatever I like? I am afraid I haven't much to speak of. Ser Castille is still away in Coerthas. There is an odd new shopkeeper just at the edge of the lane named Tarot. None of these are things you probably do not know, though. I'd think you would have more to say to me, honestly! A unique benefit of your job, you hear everyone yet nobody realizes you are listening, aye?"

Aya listened intently, smiling with her blue eyes wide and attentive.  She giggled a little at the thought of flowers in the Quick Sand, "Oh.. I just don't think they would last!" she laughed a little more in amusement, "All of those rough and tough types coming in only to find pretty flowers in the middle of their drinking tables!  Oh, just imagine it!  But it would be so lovely while it lasted!"

The mention of Tarot drew a look of recognition, "Oh! I met him the other week!  What a strange name though, 'Crooked'!  He insisted it was a sign of honesty..." she looked up and away, her lips pulling tight but crooked for a moment, "But I'm not so suuuuure... I didn't know he had a shop right here in town, what does he sell?"  Aya looked back to Coatleque with an excited curiosity, her hands folded together near her lap, but she could almost feel the girl's energy, even as she sat mostly relaxed upon the divan.

"You know," she continued, "I am highly suspect that his name actually is Crooked. Honestly, what kind of a name would that be? How presumptuous of his parents to assume he was dishonest straight from birth. No, he must have assumed this name. That does leave me curious as to his real name though."

She crossed her legs under her dress and leaned forward a little. "I made a brief visit to his shop. It is a rather crowded place, so be careful if you go. I would say he has a little of everything, though I did not find exactly what I was looking for. I had the distinct impression he was keeping something back, perhaps for a more discerning customer. It seems most merchants around here are hesitant to speak with me when I am alone." Coatleque shrugged and adjusted her beret slightly. "I cannot imagine why."

"Well, maybe we could visit it together! Then you wouldn't be alone!" she grinned, "Besides, I love visiting new shops!"

As she grinned, the proprietor returned carrying a nice tea set upon a tray.  He first set the tall, metallic teapot upon the coffee table, standing on three legs that suspended the body of the pot away from the table.  He set down a saucer and tea cup for each of them, followed by a decanter of cream, a small ceramic pot of honey, and a plate decorated with a few small chocolates.

He bowed his head politely as he finished, and then poured tea into each of the cups, "Please, please enjoy!" he bowed his head again.

"Thaaank you!" chimed in Aya, glancing to Coatleque, "Its just wonderful isn't it!  They really have great tea here, and cream and honey and everything!"  she lifted the tea cup up to her lips, blowing across its steaming surface before taking in the delicate fragrance, followed by a brief overly-hot sip of the black tea.

"Oh, that does smell wonderful!", she said. Leaning towards the table, Coatleque carefully drizzled some honey into her cup, as well as a splash of cream before stirring it all together with a spoon. She gently placed the spoon overhanging the saucer when she was finished.

She watched Aya immediately start sipping her own tea with wide eyes. "Aya! Isn't that hot?!", she exclaimed.

Aya had just sipped the tea, and it was obviously very hot given her reaction.  She nodded a little in response to Coatleque's alarm, blowing on the surface of her tea a little more.  "It is, but I just wanted to taste it!"  She lowered her cup and saucer, smiling still, "How about a visit to Tarot's shop today, hmm?  I would so like to see it."

"And maybe we could also pick up some flowers for the Quick Sand." she grinned conspiratorially, "I could put them out before I start work tonight!"

"Now that is a good idea." she said lifting her own cup to blow on it gently. "It will help liven up the tables at least a little more. I doubt Mister Tarot would have anything like that though. His items seemed a bit more practical and permanent to me. Perhaps you know of a purveyor of botanical goods?"

She sipped her tea once she was sure it was cool enough. "So... is this what Miss Aya does on her time off? I confess I rarely see you out and around the city. Not that I myself do the same."

Aya nodded energetically, grinning, "I don't think I'd buy flowers from someone named, 'Crooked', anyway!  We'll have to try one of the flower carts!  After, we visit Tarot's shop that is!"

"So... is this what Miss Aya does on her time off? I confess I rarely see you out and around the city. Not that I myself do the same."

Aya leaned back a bit, settling onto the couch in response to the question, as if stopping to think for a moment.  Her smile softened, "Mhmmm, sometimes.  If you came out here more often you might see more of me!"  She looked to Coatleque with a momentary grin, "You might even get to spend more time having fun with me!" She looked back out the window, at the world moving by without them.  "Its nice to get out in the daylight before work--I like to enjoy the city's energy, and I can take care of some errands for Madam Momodi while I do.  Plus I can get a little shopping and relaxation in!"

She paused for just a moment, lifting her tea for a sip, but as she lowered it back down to the saucer she continued, "I take time to stay in shape too, you know." she glanced back to Coatleque, with a little, slightly bashful smile.  Of course a Sultan Sworn would know what it really meant to keep in shape: practice, drill, and more practice to keep in form, a matter of potential life and death.  A barmaid had few such rigors to her occupation, but she still had a figure of her own to work to maintain.

She continued to look out the window, her smile growing brighter. "I just love to dance..." she stated matter-of-factually, as if revealing a well-known secret.  "That's what I really try to do, every day I have the chance."

The Knight raised an eyebrow at Aya with a smile, clearly having picked up on the unintentional rhyme. "Dancing? Or perhaps you were meant for poetry?" She sipped at her tea. "Although, the way you move through the crowd some nights I can see how dancing would be very beneficial to your job. I am not quite so dexterous, I'm afraid."

"I have also been keeping in shape, though my routine is more of a requirement than personal choice. I decided to try my hand at the bow recently. I confess I am not very good at it though." She blushed. Feeling rather awkward at her own confession she for one of the chocolates.

"You dance often then? Is it anything specific such as some Seeker tribes do?"

For a moment Aya just stared blankly toward Coatleque, needing a moment to catch onto the unintentional rhyme.   She giggled softly, and nodded, "Mmhmm, something like that..."

"I was a dancer before I came here." she tilted her head a bit, angling her eyes toward the view of outdoors.  "I've become friends with some dancers here, and they let me practice and rehearse with them.  Its fun to learn from them." Her lips pulled back into a smile as she continued to gaze outside.

She glanced back, as Coatleque enjoyed the chocolate, her smile looking amused at the archery comment.  No doubt Ser Crofte could wield an impressive bow, though her aim always seemed off...

"You dance often then? Is it anything specific such as some Seeker tribes do?"

"Every chance I get" she grinned.

"Speaking of," A cool, commanding voice intruded the conversation. From seemingly nowhere, a midlander of dark, ebony skin appeared. He had a good posture -- chin up, standing completely upright. He had no details on his facial structure, not a speck of hair or the tiniest inch of a scar. Very smooth, very neat. He had a dark gray band painted across his steel-colored eyes -- a pattern familiar to both of the girls. The otherwise short midlander continued to speak, ruffling the tux he donned.

"I have the deal for you two ladies." He smiled, even his tone and emotions were nice and smooth, no rigidness in them at all. It's almost like he had rehearsed this act before! "Right now, for only a mere price of ten measly gil, you get not only a free ride on two very attractive highlanders," he paused, raising a hand. He summoned forth two highlanders -- one incredibly tall, whlist the other was short. Tall guy had gentle brown eyes, and pale skin that one would almost assume never hit the light of day ever. The short highlander could easily be confused for a midlander if he weren't so thickly built like the pale mate, but nonetheless offered a smile to the girls and winked an amber eye, his red one trained on Aya while his right hand held his dark-toned shoulder. "to Mr. Tarot's place, but you'll get the show of your lives right here in the evening. Trust me, this is a deal you'll never get before." The midlander seemed to be genuine enough. "Ain't it true, Volan?"

The pale highlander -- who seemed to have preferred Crofte -- speaks up. "Yup yup! I reckon tha's mighty true, Rodgers. These gals don't kno' was comin' to em." He replies, assuming a confident stance among his thick accent.

Aya lifted her eyes from Coatleque, blinking slowly as she listened to their sudden interlocutor make his pitch.

She tilts her head, her eyes slightly narrowing, one blonde eye-brow raised as she pulls her lips back tight, an expression that seems to mix a little confusion with aversion.

"Um... excuuuse me?" she said, mustering a level of indignance only made possible by her Ishgardian accent.

Coatleque blinked twice as she looked up at the sudden appearance of the men. She had not even heard the door open nor anyone else enter. Looking around the shop again her next thought was that there was a curtain or some other hidden room they were already in before the pair had arrived. It was clear they had been there for quite some time though as they seemed to know what the women were talking about.

Aya had spoken up first. The tone of her voice had expressed the immediate feelings of them both. Coatleque simply looked at the men inquisitively. She slowly lowered her cup back to the saucer. "A free... what?"

"Oh, how incredibly rude of me!" The midlander states. "My name is Rodgers, These two acquaintances of mine are Feder," Rodgers lifts an open palm towards his right, prompting the pale highlander to give a toothy grin and an energetic thumbs up. "... and this is Hoja." Rodgers switches the hand for the same gesture, the shorty highlander snapping his fingers and says nothing more. 

"We just overheard ya gals talkin' about the new Tarot place," Feder speaks up. "And thought that me and my bro over here Hoja could take ya there. Free of charge and everythin'." Feders' tone of voice exudes pure confidence. Hoja just shakes his head, but remains quiet. This prompts Rodgers to speak.

"Don't mind Hoja," a pause. "He's not very talky. And, you two have been selected to be very lucky winners!" The pitch never ended, seeming to never get to the 'shipping and handling' part. "If you go to Tarot's place with these two fine highlanders, you'll be lined up to be front row spectator's of a very promising show this evening. So what do you say? Deal?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in the Weaver's Guild...

"Ugh." A familiar distasteful voice speaks up from a chair. Oscare holds his head up with a clenched chin, supported on by a bulky thigh. "Tell me again... why are we doing this?" The hunter inquires the thin air, seemingly. 

"Oh come on, Osc. It's not that bad." Another masculine voice rings from behind a large string of hanged clothes. "The Weaver's Guild wanted to get a bunch of guys to perform a little show in the public, it's no big deal. You go out there, you were one of these outfits -- which is possibly a once in a life time opportunity -- and you show those ladies and gentlemen what your body's packin'." A laugh is followed by the lengthy statement. 

The hunter sighs. "But I have to wear the Behemoth outfit? Why couldn't I wear another one? Like... I dunno, Feder gets to wear the Leviathan outfit..." A complaint? From Oscare? 

"You'll be the head dancer! Of course you gotta wear the Behemoth one! It makes your ass look scrumptious." Now the whole room is laughing, Oscare digs his face into a towel given to him while a lalafell youth takes measurements of his legs. This was going to be a very exciting evening.

• 2 weeks later...