[Issue] Wiki Search Function

Prior to the changes of the presentation of our magnificent wiki, I've noticed that the search functionality for me isn't acting as it were awhile ago.

For example, now when I search I am obliged to write down the full name of a character in order to locate his/her article, otherwise no results will show. When the search bar was on the left side of the page, I was able to find any articles/pages containing that specific keyword.

Now my question is, is this a configuration issue on my end or is this problem due to the recent changes on the wiki?

When we had the MySQL issues yesterday, the search indexer blew up. So, I've restarted it and implemented a correction to keep it started. The autocomplete is now working again (so, if you start typing "L'", you see characters whose names start with "L'" under the search box).

Now, in terms of searching generally, one change that applies when using a search engine other than MediaWiki's built-in search (as we do; we use SphinxSearch and have been for a few weeks) is that outside of the autocomplete, you have to be explicit when you want to search on wildcards. So, to find all pages containing, say, "L'" without using the autocomplete list, you need to query with "L'*". The built-in search uses sort of a brute force approach where it puts the wildcard in for you, but its keyword searching is really poor, so finding content inside pages (such as all pages that talk about a specific group, or all pages with a specific set of keywords) had some notable issues.

When we had the MySQL issues yesterday, the search indexer blew up. So, I've restarted it and implemented a correction to keep it started. The autocomplete is now working again (so, if you start typing "L'", you see characters whose names start with "L'" under the search box).

Now, in terms of searching generally, one change that applies when using a search engine other than MediaWiki's built-in search (as we do; we use SphinxSearch and have been for a few weeks) is that outside of the autocomplete, you have to be explicit when you want to search on wildcards. So, to find all pages containing, say, "L'" without using the autocomplete list, you need to query with "L'*". The built-in search uses sort of a brute force approach where it puts the wildcard in for you, but its keyword searching is really poor, so finding content inside pages (such as all pages that talk about a specific group, or all pages with a specific set of keywords) had some notable issues.

Interesting, thanks for the quick response!