Cannonball Read 7

So there's a pop culture website that I've long frequented.  I started commenting way, way back when and the contributors and commenters are the cat's pajamas.  It's called Pajiba, but that's not important.

Several years ago one of the commenters died fighting leukemia while doing an epic book-reading marathon with a friend, another personality on the site.  She was AlabamaPink, and she was our Warrior Queen.  The Cannonball Read (as it was called (and still is)) was completed by her friend and resurrected the following year.  It's gone through a lot of iterations between then and now, and the 7th Run has just started.  Previously, participants posted reviews of the books they read and the CBR supplied Amazon link so that every time a purchase was made because of your review, a portion of the proceeds went to a fund for AlabamaPink's son.  Now the CBR is bigger than ever and has spun out from Pajiba into its own, independent entity.  Also, proceeds now go to the American Cancer Society.

If you look at my history, you should see I've never shilled anything on these boards (unless I'm sleep-posting unawares), but I'm shilling the Cannonball Read.  Mostly because I figure this is a crowd that enjoys books and, I imagine, reading them.  Also, who doesn't hate cancer? 

You can sign up for a full Cannonball (52 books), half-Cannonball (26), or quarter (13) until January 31st to participate in this year's CBR.  Just go to the Run's website and have at it from there.  It's a great community, a(nother) great excuse to burn through some books, and a great way to discover a lot of new reading material and clever voices yourself.  I've already posted two reviews so far myself.

Thanks, folks.  And read on!

(Oh, and Freelance, if I've broken any rules or dropped this in the wrong forum: do your thing)