"We Should RP"

Lilia Lia

The big problem, for me, with trying to squeeze random RP in the middle of an arc is that the arc usually takes far longer to play than it's supposed to take for C'kayah to live. Something that might be 3 days for C'kayah could take weeks to play. This creates a continuity problem that makes it hard to do other stuff during the arc.

What I've ended up doing is pinning the end of the RP arc to the day we finish it, and then tracing back, instead of pinning the start of the arc to the day we start. There are still continuity problems (i.e.: it's hard to reference the arc to other people in RP before it's done), but it makes it far easier to work other RP into it. Those 3 days don't actually start until 3 days before the day we finish them, so there's no reason for C'kayah to be unavailable during the weeks we're playing the arc.

The big problem, for me, with trying to squeeze random RP in the middle of an arc is that the arc usually takes far longer to play than it's supposed to take for C'kayah to live. Something that might be 3 days for C'kayah could take weeks to play. This creates a continuity problem that makes it hard to do other stuff during the arc.

What I've ended up doing is pinning the end of the RP arc to the day we finish it, and then tracing back, instead of pinning the start of the arc to the day we start. There are still continuity problems (i.e.: it's hard to reference the arc to other people in RP before it's done), but it makes it far easier to work other RP into it. Those 3 days don't actually start until 3 days before the day we finish them, so there's no reason for C'kayah to be unavailable during the weeks we're playing the arc.

I just try not to worry about strict timelines if it seems like the RP won't be something super serious.

If Evangeline does an RP of a few hours lecturing someone on the injustices of Eorzea, how the gods aren't real, and her taste in romantic literature, it doesn't matter exactly where it happens on her timeline.

The next time she meets the person I just treat it as having happened an indeterminate point of time in the past. I don't worry about the details unless the person is planning to get involved in her current story.

In order to foster this I generally don't have her bring up the more serious stuff that she's dealing with in plots unless it is needed, so generally the random RP is rather lighthearted, and is more for introducing characters and relaxing rather than plot development.

[. . . I generally don't have her bring up the more serious stuff that she's dealing with in plots unless it is needed . . .]

I like to use the same time-bubble that is used to explain aging and the MSQ. I can be involved in multiple plots simultaneously in each corner of Eorzea and not have them cross. Some of this is due to Coatleque being a Sultansworn tied to Ul'dah - what some see as a limitation works to my benefit here.

For example, in the longest running story she is involved in, Coatleque is actually leading a small team into Coerthas to setup unobtrusive recon for Thanalan. Last night I did a photo shoot with Spahro for Dubious Distributions in the Goblet. In my mind, that took place before she left the city and there is no connection between the two events to say otherwise.

[. . . I generally don't have her bring up the more serious stuff that she's dealing with in plots unless it is needed . . .]

I like to use the same time-bubble that is used to explain aging and the MSQ. I can be involved in multiple plots simultaneously in each corner of Eorzea and not have them cross. Some of this is due to Coatleque being a Sultansworn tied to Ul'dah - what some see as a limitation works to my benefit here.

For example, in the longest running story she is involved in, Coatleque is actually leading a small team into Coerthas to setup unobtrusive recon for Thanalan. Last night I did a photo shoot with Spahro for Dubious Distributions in the Goblet. In my mind, that took place before she left the city and there is no connection between the two events to say otherwise.

Yep! Most things sort of just happen in floaty time, and if needed they can be snapped into a timeline after the fact.

Until then I don't really worry about it. Evangeline had a hour long discussion with an Au Ra about horn socks, to keep their horns warm in Ishgard.

I doubt an exact accounting of its start will ever be needed.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a bit better with my use of floaty-time. Which meant having Gogon at the Runestone even as he was "supposed" to be in Dravania on a dungeon delve. I just timey-wimeyed it to be just before he left, and even used it to mark when he actually left to meet up with the group. And, since it's been going on for a couple days now OOC... if I have him interact with others, I'll also probably place it at some other point and time.

... I just need a few moments to wrap my mind around where they would all fit together... :blush: