Keeper paints lore tidbit + headcanon

I found a lore tidbit on Keepers and their face paints, directed to me by my friend and I think it's very interesting, so below I'm going to first write out the leve discription, and then any dialogue that comes with starting and finishing the leve! 

"Moon in Rouge

We Keepers of the Moon have a long history of decorating our faces with colourful paint before going into battle. We do this not only to honour the traditions of our clan, but to also let the Gods know that we are prepared to serve them as warriors in the afterlife, should we fall at the hands of our enemies. The paint we use is taken from the inedible red berries of a herb known as 'soldier's sore' that can be found growing in the South Shroud. My unit is willing to pay handsomely for any who can harvest the fruit and deliver it to our barracks."

From what I read here, the paints may be red to signify battle and the willingness to serve the gods as warriors in the after life, other colours may indicate other things such as clans and looking for mates and the like, but that is just speculation. 

I do have a headcanon that if the colour of paint is a purple shade, that person is looking for a mate and wants to seem more attractive. (like you know how red is an attractive colour to humans and some animals like those baboons with bright red butts? Like that!) I say purple because keepers have red blood(as far as we know) and blue skin and undertones, so their blushes and -cough- genitals would be a shade of purple when aroused. So wearing purple paint may send off that signal of 'I'm looking for a mate', since Keepers do not have the luxury of nunhs, and mostly males wander and look for mates that way. (or just clan protection for a short time).

i also think that the shape or what's drawn may communicate other things to the gods or other keepers. Like with Naoh'ra his paints are blue, the same as his mother wore to honour her, and they are shaped like shooting stars and her facial markings (not paints), in a way to ask menphina to grant him luck and what he deeply wishes for (from the stars), and to help him to show in his mothers image, and follow her footsteps (by mimicing her natural facial markings).

The item's discription says 

"Though extremely deadly if consumed, the juice taken from crushed soldier's sore berries can be used to create a deep-red paint that closely resembles the colour of fresh blood."

Interesting, so if you want to mimic this for your keeper, try and get it to look like fresh blood, not old browned dried blood! :D

The berries are found in the South Shroud, around 25x, 18y just north of quarrymill.

Note: I assume from how it's all worded, that you would not wear this outside of going into and battling, because of the specific message the red paints give.

There was no dialogue for this quest other than the standard for the levemete, you speak to no keepers in this quest and get all the info from both the discription of the leve, berries, and speculation.

I hope you enjoyed reading, and I would love to hear your comments and own theories! I assume that all keeper clans would differ in small ways and hold the same core values and traditions, with little variations. You're free to create your own interpritation for your own clans and keepers, as I have made some for my own as well! :D

Thanks so much for reading, I hope you found it interesting as I did!

When I read this tidbit I too was intrigued and nearly went and changed Nef's facepaint to red. However, after thinking about it (and realizing I simply didn't like the look of it) I think that you are correct in that there are probably different colors/patterns for different things. I also believe that there might be variations based on family/tribe not to mention individual beliefs.

It would be cool if we could come up with something of a general directory but since paint & designs are pretty much universal for all characters it would be hard. Perhaps if we wanted to put on our character bios what our facepaint is and what it signifies to our character, THAT would be awesome. 

And... an invite to all non Keeper players to ask about the paint and what it means. ^_^

When I read this tidbit I too was intrigued and nearly went and changed Nef's facepaint to red. However, after thinking about it (and realizing I simply didn't like the look of it) I think that you are correct in that there are probably different colors/patterns for different things. I also believe that there might be variations based on family/tribe not to mention individual beliefs.

It would be cool if we could come up with something of a general directory but since paint & designs are pretty much universal for all characters it would be hard. Perhaps if we wanted to put on our character bios what our facepaint is and what it signifies to our character, THAT would be awesome. 

And... an invite to all non Keeper players to ask about the paint and what it means. ^_^

oooh I think thatd be cool, I put a little tid bit on my wiki about the paints! 

I still need to write up a more detailed forehead booping headcanon i have lol