Hi!

Hey folks,

I'm super excited to join this community! I've been playing FFXIV for a few months on and off on Faerie but I just transferred over to Balmung since I saw there was more RP. I'm interested in making my character come to life in my gameplay and then I found this community by googling ffxiv and Roleplay. I was actually looking for an FC but fortunately found this lovely place. I'm a casual player and it's been literally years since I lasted RPed or played an MMORPG. Over the past few years, it was difficult to find time with real life commitments to work and people, but I've recently decided that stealing a few hours here or there to game in a fantastical world is necessary self-care. I'm a Canadian grad student in my late 20s.

I played Ragnarok Online for many years despite it's pixel issues mostly because of the community and memories. I've also played Guild Wars and TwelveSkies, but I usually solo-played for those two. I've always played DPS characters, but ffxiv character is a Paladin who is still learning the finer mechanisms of tanking, so far I'm ok with the light party dungeons but full parties are messing me up... I chose it mostly because I was watching Log Horizon at the time and really liked the Tank character. I also thought that tanking meant standing there and letting creatures hit me but it seems monsters have grown much more complex since Ragnarok days. NOPE.

As for character design, I have a few ideas that finishing the MSQ as a Paladin is going to be important to. Maybe something about her being a trans-racial adoptee into a wealthy Lalafell family that's loyal to the sultanate on the surface but associated with the Monetarists Syndicate. So she'll have a silverspoon upbringing and complicated familial relationship, not unloving, her adopted family, parents and three older siblings never hid her adoption from her but always assured her they loved her. In the back of her mind she's wondered about her origins, but never really felt a need to pursue it further. Her position as paladin came out of her admiration for the Sultans Sworn growing up, but at the end of the MSQ, she's caught in a position between family and nation. 

Personality wise, she'll likely be jaded and wary. She'll give off the impression of being a lazy, go-with-the-flow as long as it's low-key. At the moment I finish the alliance story, and starting over in a new job with reluctance to take up Paladin roles again because of the painful memories associated with it. Even her name is not so much a name, but more of a memory and reminder. Ignorance is bliss, but she'd rather be nostalgic about that bliss than go back to being ignorant. I think I might have trouble being in character because I imagine she wouldn't be very social or talkative, and maybe even caustic at times which is almost opposite of me in real life....:/

Thanks for reading this lengthy greeting! These ideas are only half baked so I'd appreciate any tips, about tanking character play, character design, or linkshells or FCs that might fit.  Because of time constraints and my newb status to both MMORPGs and RPing, my play will be casual to help get me used to both. I'm also looking for new friends and mentors to socialized with in-game.

Hope to see you in game. 

:cactuar: Cacti

Yes hope to see you around indeed. That name of your char sounds Roe is this correct?

Oops! I forgot her name. She's an Au Ra of the Xaela clan. Lvl 51 paladin named Nostalgic Bliss. I made the game character before making the RP chacter...I'm still reading through all the lore, so would it fit more for her to be a Roe?

She introduces herself as Nos, identifies as a cis-gender female Aura and will answer to female or neutral pronouns. I was going to change the name but felt like I could do something meaningful with that being less of a name, and more of a reminder. She has a name given by her adopted family but she doesn't want to use it ATM.

:cactuar:Cacti

Yes hope to see you around indeed. That name of your char sounds Roe is this correct?

Oops! I forgot her name. She's an Au Ra of the Xaela clan. Lvl 51 paladin named Nostalgic Bliss. I made the game character before making the RP chacter...I'm still reading through all the lore, so would it fit more for her to be a Roe?

She introduces herself as Nos, identifies as a cis-gender female Aura and will answer to female or neutral pronouns. I was going to change the name but felt like I could do something meaningful with that being less of a name, and more of a reminder. She has a name given by her adopted family but she doesn't want to use it ATM.

Yes Nostalgic Bliss fits the Roegadyn (Specifically Hellsguard) naming convention, of verb adjective then noun. :) But you don't need to change your character. Lots of folks have names that don't match the lore so it is honestly fine. I was just thinking Roe LOL.

Hello there, welcome to Balmung! :D I love Log Horizon! Harbingers of Dawn is a good-aligned, med-heavy RP FC dedicated to protecting and aiding the citizens of Eorzea. You're welcome to check us out! You can learn more about us here and apply on our website if you're interested.

Yes Nostalgic Bliss fits the Roegadyn (Specifically Hellsguard) naming convention, of verb adjective then noun. :) But you don't need to change your character. Lots of folks have names that don't match the lore so it is honestly fine. I was just thinking Roe LOL.

haha! I just peeked at the naming lore and you're so right! It's definitely something I'll keep in mind. Thanks! :D

Hello there, welcome to Balmung! :D I love Log Horizon! Harbingers of Dawn is a good-aligned, med-heavy RP FC dedicated to protecting and aiding the citizens of Eorzea. You're welcome to check us out! You can learn more about us here and apply on our website if you're interested.

Hi Faye, I'm glad to find another Log Horizon fan! Harbingers of Dawn looks gorgeous! Everything is so well organized and it seems like there's a great community vibe in the forums. I'm definitely going to apply. Thanks for the suggestion!

:cactuar: Cacti