Returning to Balmung Without Friends

I originally started playing the game almost a year ago. Played for three months and then got abandoned in an environment I was unfamiliar with. I did a little bit of RPing back then, not as much as I would have liked, and certainly not enough to develop my character.

So now I'm back, to give it another go. Except I don't have anyone to hold my hand and I haven't tried to establish myself in an MMO alone since WoW. I don't know if it's because I'm older and have less free time or if things really have changed and I just don't know what I am doing any more. Or maybe it's that I have backed down from my confidence level when I first started RPing in MMOs because of bad interactions and sometimes just the lack of interest I get when I try to put myself out there. I suppose it's time to try again.

Complaining aside, I play Lho'a Scathach on Balmung, a male Elezen with a Miqo'te name, for no other reason than I didn't want to pay for a name change when I went from Miqo'te to Au'ra to finally settling on an Elezen. (Also I really like the name Lho'a). Mostly I have just been running around leveling White Mage on quests, occasional duties, and hunts in Heavensword; thinking to myself that I would really like to get into the RP scene but just am too hesitant to put forth the effort. I know where I stand when it comes to WoW lore and RP, even if I just RP with one or two people there; I don't know where I stand when it comes to FFXIV, I know a little bit from quests but my RP contacts are all dried up.

I am also not sure what I am looking for in terms of RP in the community. If I remember correctly the freecompany I had been in was pirate based, sort of mercenary. I've never been any good at playing a 'good guy', that's not to say my characters aren't nice, they just tend to be more on the sarcastic or arguementive side.

TL;DR: Looking for new friends, Linkshells, and maybe a freecompany.

Welcome to the RPC. xD

I think I know where you're coming from when you say you're a bit hesitant to get involved. I've bounced in and out of this game a few times (friends bailing, having issues with confidence in RP, bad experiences etc), but the best way is to really just bite the bullet, so to speak, and throw yourself in there.

Which is easier said than done sometimes. If you're interested, I'm always keen to make new friends in game and almost always down for RP. If you're one for shady characters and looking for a friend, my character is a thief/smuggler and would be more than happy to make a new contact. xD I can't seem to stick with 'good' characters very much myself, so mine always end up being at least a little shady.

Anyway, welcome to the RPC and I hope you find some people to hang around with in game. The LS/FC section is probably getting cleared out soon to flush out the inactives, but there's a big list of RP Free Companies and Linkshells that might help you in your search.