Servitude (Story)

OOC: A kind of middle story of the demon, Erel. Enjoy!

[align=center]Splat...splat...splat... the rhythmic drops seemed to echo inside, matching the pace of a heartbeat. 'So this is what it's like on the other side of the void.' the thought drowned out the sound of dripping blood against hard wood. [/align]

[align=center]                                            [/align]

[align=center]                                                        [/align]

[align=center]"Are you pleased with the results?"  A boastful voice broke her concentration.  Erel had nearly forgotten she was not alone. [/align]

[align=center]The unusually tall Lalafell tipped his head in anticipation for her response.  For a moment Erel sneered at the wound she had inflicted on her now pink supple flesh, nearly laughing aloud at the frailty  of mortals.  Her sneer coiled into a crooked smile.[/align]

[align=center] [/align]

[align=center]"This will do nicely...." She stopped for a moment, taking in the foreign sound of her new Hyuran voice.  "...for the time being. Once I have what I desire, you will be handsomely rewarded for your service." She batted her new eyelashes at the Mage who was already silently congratulating himself on a job well done. [/align]

[align=center]The Mage tipped his long crumpled hat. "Remember, for now you must remain here until you..get used to the workings of things and I can ensure that the body you inhabit can function properly...." He paused, stroking his bare chin. "Though it seems the corpse was fresh enough that we won't have to worry about decay."  The Lalafell pointed a stubby finger at the open wound on the Hyur's arm. "As for that, remember that you are susceptible to infection and disease here on the other side. For the love of whatever deity you..things worship, try not to make it a habit to self mutilate."[/align]

[align=center]Erel contorted her facial expression to that of a freshly chastised child. "Pray, forgive me. I am so accustomed to being on the other end of a blade. I just wanted to know what it's like."[/align]

[align=center]The Lalafell clasped his hands together and grinned almost patronizingly. "Nothing to forgive. I cannot fault you for seeking knowledge through experimentation. I dare say I see much of myself in you." [/align]

[align=center]Erel returned the toothy grin. "Now..what did you say the name of this girl was? " Erel turned facing an ornate mirror and peered into her now deep green eyes.[/align]

[align=center]Through the reflection, she could see the Lalafell stroke his chin once more in contemplation. "Gloria...Wilders? No, Wilde. Yes, Gloria Wilde I believe I heard the chirurgeon say. Poor girl, suffered a sudden sickness."[/align]

[align=center]Erel smiled at her reflection. "All misfortunes make way for better plans, my friend. Now Gloria Wilde will be a testament to the wonders of modern magics and you will be heralded as the man who saved the life of a desperately ill young woman." Erel turned away from her reflection and knelt close to the Mage, placing her hands on either shoulder, noticing his recoil at her touch. [/align]

[align=center]"As of today, Black Mage-craft will no longer be seen as an instrument of ruin. It will serve whatever purpose you deem fit. Returning souls to the otherwise departed...the people will praise you as a savior." Erel increased her grip.[/align]

[align=center]"Departed souls? All I did was take the one from the doll and transferred it to ...." The Mage nervously stammered. [/align]

[align=center]"Shh." Erel placed a single finger on the Lalafell's lips. "Accept this gift and never mind the particulars. Speaking of...where is that wretched thing?" Erel scanned the small room until she spotted her prize lying lifeless on the floor next to the bed.[/align]

[align=center]She held the wind-up doll, it's eyes now staring unblinking. "I know someone who will be wanting this back." she squeezed the doll tight in her hands. [/align]

[align=center]"Y-yes, about that..the other...where might I find her? I wish to ask her about how she..you know..for the sake of science." The Lalafell was obviously losing his nerve. [/align]

[align=center]Erel smiled softly. "Xanadu Noire? Leave finding her to me. But should you come across her first, keep our friendship between us. There are so many more things I wish to do for you and I'd hate for her to try and ride on your coat tails while you are on a path to such great success."[/align]

[align=center]The Lalafell's expression became self congratulatory once more as if some great revelation had restored his confidence. "You're right, with you in my debt, there is nothing I can't accomplish. I guess this kind of makes me your master, doesn't it?" What the small man lacked in size, he suddenly made up in arrogance.[/align]

[align=center]Erel could feel her Hyuran eye twitch just slightly. "In so many words..." she feigned a bow.  The Mage clapped his hands together excitedly as a spoiled child would.[/align]

[align=center] "Oh the things we'll accomplish! First order of business is pushing out that no good charlatan of a Thaumaturge guild master of mine..I'll teach him to reprimand me for inquiring after forbidden texts!" The Lalfell began to prattle. [/align]

[align=center]"Now, now...master..." Erel choked out the words. "I humbly remind you that in my current state, my full potential is waned. I require a body better able to manipulate aether." [/align]

[align=center]The Lalafell waved his tiny hand dismissively. "Yes, yes. You'll get what's promised as soon as I receive my just rewards for my tireless efforts. In the meantime, stay here and gather your strength. You'll need it for the plans I have, my pet." The little man waddled out of the room without so much as a parting word.[/align]

[align=center]Erel clenched her jaw tight and with a subtle snap , the taste of copper filled her mouth. Spitting out a chunk of tooth and saliva diluted blood, she smiled to herself.[/align]

[align=center]--- [/align]

[align=center]"I can't wait to give you your just rewards.."[/align]