removed

Etoile

Alas, it's transfer or bust, for the most part - there's rumors of pockets of RP on other servers, but most here can't confirm them. :(

On the plus side, if your account's a type that supports multiple characters on one server, you can transfer an entire server load with the same single transfer fee (so instead of $18 for one character, it can be $18 for 8 characters). Useful to know if you think you might ever one day want to play an alt. :D

Thank you, good to know. 

Would anyone be kind enough to post a few screenshots of typical RP? I'd like to see how the format and flow go in this game. And I don't know if there's a trick to the text box, but it seems so very sluggish for fast typers?

I can confirm there is some RP on Gilgamesh and Sargatanas, but a large majority of people on those servers tend to focus more toward raiding and other PvE aspects. It's why Balmung is considered the unofficial RP server, since I believe it has the largest population of RPers out of any NA server. I can't say if it's the largest out of all the servers, though, since I have no idea what it's like on the EU or JP side of things.

You can sneakily get from Gridania to Ul'dah, but Limsa Lominsa and the island it's on are forcibly separated from the rest of the game world (for like... seriously no reason) until you get to the main story quest "It's Probably Pirates", which is a level 15 quest (but your character will probably be level 17-18 by the time you reach it).

On the plus side, that means you can access 2/3 of the housing areas (Lavender Beds and Goblet) which means a ton of RP venues are open to you - such as mine! :D

What Sena said! You've basically got to grind your way to the level 15 quests in order to grab the Airship Pass quest, and then you'll have easy access to all the city-states!

There's quite a lot going on in Gridania. And Ul'dah, if you Sprint and follow the main roads to not get aggro.

Sure! I did it at level 1, it's pretty easy as long as you know the route to take. If you're going from Gridania, I suggest exiting out of town by the Lancer guild using the ferry to the East Shroud, then run to the little town there, and then straight south into South Shroud. Run south a bit to Quarrymill in the South Shroud and bind yourself there (so that if you die you teleport back there), and then run west to Buscarron's Druthers (a small town place), and follow the road south until you get to the next spot in the South Shroud where there's an aetheryte crystal (the name eludes me) and bind there instead. Keep going south until you exit into East Thanalan and follow the road to the town there, bind, then take the road south into Central Thanalan to the town in the middle of it, then south straight into Ul'dah. As long as you're binding along the way, even if you do get killed it's not a far run to get back to where you were.

The most common "open world" roleplay sites are the three main city taverns, with the highest activity by far being at the Quicksand in Ul'dah... however, a lot of the RP there is players seeking, ehm... random text-based adult entertainment, shall we say. Different strokes for different folks, and if that makes them happy then good on them, but if it's not what you're looking for you might have a lame time at the Quicksand. That said, it's not ALL that kind of RP there. I haven't been there in a very long time, but when I was new to the game myself and checking the place out without really knowing much about it, I did encounter some more general RP around there too. But it's like sailing through icebergs - you could get lucky for awhile, but sooner or later someone's going to send you a tell asking about ERP.