Studying Abroad

Hey everyone,

This coming spring I will be studying abroad in Jerusalem (how awesome is that??) and I would still like to have a nice machine on which to play Final Fantasy. Right now I have a very nice desktop that I put together for around $1,400 last summer and a three year old Dell XPS M1330... Obviously I will not be able to bring my desktop and I will be needing more power than my little XPS.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Would it be worth the money to buy a gaming latop? Do you have any experience with Alienware, Voodoo, etc?

Thanks!

-Narelius (Gavriel)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Acer gaming laptop recently. I am very, very pleased with it's performance even with newer games. The FFXIV benchmark shows that the laptop graphics handles the game well.

I have an Acer Aspire 5740G

Specifications:

CPU: Intel i5 2.26ghz (2 cores that act like 4, don't ask me how I don't know, it's written in both the info and the hardware inspector) Safe overclock possible with "Turbo Boost".

GPU: ATI HD5650 1GB Memory - Overclocking possible with AMD GPU clock tool (Not to mention it's changable)

RAM: 4GB

HDD: 500GB

Display: 15'6 inch with 1366x768 max resolution. (LED)

Soundcard: Integrated, surround from dolby home theatre

DVD-R/RW/DL drive

801.11 b/g/n Nplify Wi-Fi card

As I've said, it's a great laptop. The only disadvantage is that the power cell does not hold out long without power-cable (about 3 hours if you're not playing games and only surfing on the net). Amazon shows 650$ and I think that's a great price, considering I bought it for much more (EU screws up the market prices). Great bang for the buck.

There goes my 2gil.

I adore it. I love it. It's amazing.

Holy crap! Now that's a piece of art... Having been down the Alienware M17 road in the past, I'm not so sure about a 17 inch beast, but to say I'm impressed with that laptop is an understatement.

Arzy, I'm glad that you are happy with your Acer. The HP Envy 14 is very similarly equipped (even the same exact graphics card) and it's good to know that FFXIV will run well on it. I'm still deciding, but I'm starting to become envious of the Envy...... /cackle