Dev Blog. What's In A Name?

Greetings everyone!

Fernehalwes here!

OMG!!!!!!1!!!

It's less than two weeks until the launch of the third phase of the beta test!!!!!!!1!!!11!1!

OMGUBITB'IBi567'&ri6r76vB&r6rfUfr676r'IR&!B!&R!BBR&!BR!1

Yes, but you didn't come here to watch me get all hot and bothered, you came here for deep-fried, juicy, golden-brown nuggets of exclusive info (with your choice of barbecue, honey mustard, or sweet and sour sauces). Well, my friends, dinner is served.

I bring to you tonight...World server names!

(crickets chirping...)

I know, I know. Server names aren't quite as sexy as pics of...oh, let's say...a new job, but still, it's something, right?

(I'm not going to say that Yoshi-P's hoarding all the cool stuff for E3, but Yoshi-P's hoarding all the cool stuff for E3.)

And so, without further delay, your Beta 3 World names!

▼New Worlds (Enemies from FINAL FANTASY)

Group JP

Atomos

Bahamut

Chocobo

Garuda

Ifrit

Mandragora

Ramuh

Tiamat

Titan

Tonberry

Group NA/EU

Adamantoise

Behemoth

Cactuar

Coeurl

Diabolos

Gilgamesh

Goblin

Leviathan

Malboro

Midgardsormr

Ultros

Cerberus (EU)

Moogle (EU)

Odin (EU)

Shiva (EU)

▼Legacy Worlds (used for 1.0 data transfer)

Group JP

Aegis (LEGACY)

Durandal (LEGACY)

Gungnir (LEGACY)

Masamune (LEGACY)

Ridill (LEGACY)

Group NA/EU

Balmung (LEGACY)

Excalibur (LEGACY)

Hyperion (LEGACY)

Sargatanas (LEGACY)

Ragnarok (LEGACY/EU)

As you can see, servers are divided up into two groups: JP (recommended for Japan) and NA/EU (recommended for North America and Europe). Remember, just because a World is recommended for a certain region does NOT mean the World can only be joined by players from that region. The recommendations are based solely on the physical location of the World servers.

I personally pushed for a Fernehalwes server, but it was shot down because, unlike the cool kids Odin, Shiva, Bahamut, and the rest, I've not appeared in any FINAL FANTASY titles. We'll have to do something about that...

Fernehalwes

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog

I was hoping for a designated RP server, both new and legacy, so I wouldn't be kinda pressure into an unofficial one. I really don't want to be on a legacy server, though....

Why not? The majority of the people here are Legacy characters. We don't want to have to start our characters all over again so that we can roll on a new RP server. If they /didn't/ make the RP server a legacy server, that's what would have to happen.

We're always willing to help new people level, and if we're going to be helping new players out, that's a GREAT way to have RP.

This is super-great news!!  Now I would just love for them to follow up on what was offered last year and stamp Balmung with that "RP Friendly" label~   *fingers crossed*

Here's a trick - if SE offers an official RP server, don't you think they would probably need to offer four RP servers? One each for JP/(NA/EU) and one each for Legacy/New.

On a related note, if we decide to pick up a non-Legacy server as well for RPC support (and there's no officially noted RP server coming from SE), I'd like to nominate Goblin. No particular reason, I just like Goblins.