New to Final Fantasy, but not RP

Dehqon

Hello! I've been gaming for nearly a decade now, mixed with tabletop RPGs. Someone I barely knew at the time started telling me about FF14 and linking various things that got me more and more interested in playing this over TESO. So far he's the only person  I talk to who shows any interest in playing and I would love to have more people to hang out with and hopefully RP in the big wide world.

I'll be glad to answer questions posted here. And suggestions on what more to read would definitely be welcome so I can have some idea of what's happening in the game and player guilds (or whatever they're called here) that may be interested in recruiting me.

At the moment I think the majority of us in beta are on Gilgamesh. However once they open up the legacy servers, I think we will shift over to Balmung.

Balmung should also the be the spot RPers go once the game goes live.

This may also be totally wrong, so anyone who knows please feel free to correct me.

-Halrath

It just hit me that I should probably mention that I've had countless bad experiences with RP communities as a whole and even RPers on a more individual basis. There have been a few shining examples of good friends to be made, but the feeling of being manipulated, lied to, and generally unwanted tend to be the norm.

Sorry for the sudden negativity, but this has been gnawing at me for the past several years with more regularity with each time I try to find a community to join.

I am new, and you might not want to listen to what I have to say about RP, but I will say it anyway :)

Just like in life, it is what you make of it. There are people in real life, just as in RP, that will lie, manipulate, and generally not want you. It hurts, but it is a fact of life and you just move on. If person A. is a poop to you, just go with it and hope to make other friends.

Despite all of that, most of this community seems to have characters and personalities that show signs of friendship. As with my character at least, if you are nice to her, she will be nice to you.

^ So there is at least one good experience coming towards you!

I still have an open mind for Linkshells, but when I poked around the listings it looked like the ones I was most interested in were already closed to recruitment. If anyone could suggest one that could help people learn about the setting, I'd be really happy.

After a rather depressing conversation on the Skype convo, it feels like there's something I should add.

I'd like to have relationship options for Inja, or whatever character I end up playing, since I'm fed up of RPing with walls while surrounded by roleplayers. I mean this in a literal way, I have had characters talk to walls after going to multiple RP hubs only to be ignored completely because he or she was the only person NOT already in a relationship of some kind.

I've seen and heard how supportive this community is, but most of me is screaming that nobody would be in favor of taking the time to get to know a nwe character played by someone still figuring the setting out when there are easier, more experienced options out there.

but most of me is screaming that nobody would be in favor of taking the time to get to know a nwe character played by someone still figuring the setting out when there are easier, more experienced options out there.

I would.

I don't say that to seem cool, or because it sounds nice.

Trust is earned.  Try me.  I'll prove that I was in favor.

Contact me.

It just hit me that I should probably mention that I've had countless bad experiences with RP communities as a whole and even RPers on a more individual basis. There have been a few shining examples of good friends to be made, but the feeling of being manipulated, lied to, and generally unwanted tend to be the norm.

:lol:

I feel you there, no doubt. A lot of people within RP communities tend to take my directness as a sort of hostility, when in reality I'm actually a pretty shy and timid individual. It's actually pretty amusing to see.

In any case, welcome to the board!

Greetings!

I'm in the same boat as you, Dehqon: Old to RP, new to FF. And yeah, been burned in the past, disappointed, frustrated, etc. I'm a -huge- supporter of the 'Web Theory' of RP. No, I'm not talking about spiders or other creepy crawlies...

I mean this:

My story/adventure or your story/adventure stimulates more RP interactions with *hopefully* others, who, in turn have their RP take directions they didn't necessarily plan, and others get involved. Maybe it rolls back to me, or you... or maybe it doesn't immediately (or ever), but other stuff grows from what we started.

Like a ripple in a pond... but I like the web allegory better since it makes us all entwined in a way... not concentric circles that might never interact again.

Also, I think romantic RP has its place, but... if it gets to the point where other RP interactions suffer, or is so inclusive that no one else can participate in adventures with you, it is too much. I like romantic RP as much as the next person- but, just like in RL, you don't 'live' in the honeymoon phase all the time. Gotta interact, be social and involve others in your life. And this goes for the exclusive RP interactions too- hey, I'm guilty of liking to RP with people I know, trust and feel comfortable with. But there are also a lot of really awesome RPers out there people never meet if they keep things 'closed doors'. And it is really off-setting when you're the really motivated RPer with a lot to offer- and are shut down at the gate.

So yeah, totally understand. It's not negative to want a thriving, interactive RP community. I've been in some nasty ones.. but, like Aehtel said, you just brush off the crap and move on and try again. Their loss, IMHO. I've met some really great people and RPers in MMOs... and I'm very much looking forward to meeting more here!

I've gotta tell you, I'm returning to RP after almost a ten year hiatus and boy was I nervous to say the least.  I was lucky to find a link to this site and everyone here has been astonishingly welcoming and helpful and my nervousness has ceased.  I hope that'll happen for you a well.

Welcome, hope to see you in game and to be able to RP with you!