Ishgardian names for Hyur?

What is the best approach for this?   I haven't been able to find much information at all on google for naming conventions for Ishgardians. 

Are the only noble houses in Ishgard the four noble houses?   Would a Ishgard noble's surname always be their house name?  

Thanks!  

Hello,

No, there are many minor noble houses besides the four major houses (Durandaire, Fortemps, Dzemael, Haillenarte). You can find a few examples of other minor houses here. I also believe that yes, House family surname is of utmost importance. Even Carvallain de Gorgane, pirate captain in Limsa, still uses his family name. Or maybe they just don't give a shit, who knows.

As far as I know Ishgardians share similar conventions than the Wildwoods and Duskwights. I never really managed to find a true difference, though maybe Ishgardians names sound a little more pompous than Gridanians? They both share heavy archaic/fantasy french roots with a few grains of germanic roots here and there for some of their first names (Aymeric, Alberic, etc). I insist on the fantasy side of the roots, standard french names are rather far from that. Note: I have seen a lot of celtic/breton first names in Gridanian NPCs (Maelle, Gwenaelle, etc), which isn't the case in Ishgard as far as my memory goes.

Now then, I have also seen those same breton names for hyurs, as well as germanic ones: Wilfric, Arbert, etc. Germanic roots often being used a lot by highlanders usually but in stronger and sometimes more convoluted forms. And a lot of weird names as well for hyurs on a more general basis (the right arm of Hilda is named Symme, and is a midlander).

My point is that while you have conventions, the lore takes pleasure into blurring the barriers between those two races a lot. Just go around in most gridanian and ishgardian main settlements and you'll see what I mean. The rule is generally though, that elezen names are impossibly complicated and long most of the time, and sound super pompous, first name and surname alike. Hyuran names are usually short and concise, and closer to IRL medieval names (but sometimes are just weird).

Edited by Valence