Lacking DRK / GS

It has been mentioned off-handedly as something they were looking into adding, but nothing concrete has been stated.

It was mentioned during the E3 Letter from the Producer Live, that we'll get new classes before the first expansion is to be released, but that could be any amount of time beyond launch.

It's been mentioned many times, but they have not announced anything officially.

They said they want to add in great swords later, and might add a new class/job to use them. They also said that a Dark Knight job would most likely come from Gladiator, and you would likely have to have Paladin unlocked first.

(Edit: Looks like everyone said what I was going to while I was typing this up and confirming facts and sources)

They are aware Greatsword is not represented. And have stated it's likely coming sometime in the future. Although as to which job it would go to is still unknown, the obvious ones being Dark Knight and Samurai, as stated by Yoshi.

When these will happen, we have no inkling, only that they are working on new class/jobs and that they'd like to have at least one released before the first expansion.

So we will likely see one class/job before the end of the first year, and perhaps more as part of an expansion.

With the introduction of branching jobs from the same class (i.e. Summoner and Scholar branching from Arcanist) This means they can add more iconic FF jobs more easily than creating an entirely new foundation class.

As wild speculation, Dark Knight would likely branch from Marauder, or possibly Gladiator, rather than some new GS wielding class (Although with Samurai likely on the way you could easily have a swordsman class that dual branches to DRK and SAM) But who knows. Only time will tell.

They're both things the developers are well aware people want, and they do intend to add more Classes and/or Jobs before they even do an expansion. When and exactly what is unknown, but you should expect them to be some of the more likely possibilities.

Just my thoughts for a classic FF job tree representation:

Archer - Bow - Bard and Ranger (with Critter Call Ability from FF 5)

Marauder - Axe - Warrior and Beserker

Lancer - Dragoon and Blue Mage (a la Lancet from FF 10) 

Gladiator - Sword - Paladin and Red Mage (Using 'En' Magic like FF 11)

Pugilist - Knuckles - Monk and Dancer

Thaumaturge - Staff - Black Mage and Time Mage

Conjurer - Wand - White Mage and Geomancer

Arcanist - Tome - Summoner and Scholar

Scout - Dagger - Thief and Ninja

Guardian - Great Sword - Samurai and Dark Knight

Musketeer - Gun - Corsair and Engineer (Puppeteer like)

I know I will catch flack for this, but it fun to think about.  I can see Musketeer coming in an expansion with Scout and Guardian being added first.

All the big FF jobs are there and each class gets a support job and a damage dealing job to balance them out.

Just a cool thought :)  Who wouldn't love to see Mime in FF again?

I'd love to see Ranger in FFXIV. I wanted to make a bandit bowman character, but I stopped caring because I didn't want to be cornered into singing songs and dancing around. Thief would be a lot of fun, I've always loved Samurai, and Corsair is one of my favorites.

I'd love to see Ranger in FFXIV. I wanted to make a bandit bowman character, but I stopped caring because I didn't want to be cornered into singing songs and dancing around. Thief would be a lot of fun, I've always loved Samurai, and Corsair is one of my favorites.

Ranger was mentioned by name as a Job for Archer sometime ago.  I wish I remembered what live letter but it was really the first time they hinted at 2 jobs for one class.  I am sure someone can find it.

So far Ranger, Red Mage, Thief, Ninja, Dark Knight and Samurai are all jobs that have been mentioned by name in developer posts.

Scout, a Great Sword Class and Musketeer have been talked about by developers as new classes.

Mimes are super cool, but I really don't know how you got that from Marauder. I think a second Job for that is more likely to be Berserker, taking particular inspiration from FFX-2 where going into Berserk mode was an option, not a default.

Of course, you can't have a type of character in an MMO that automatically deals massive damage without any input at all, so it'd have to be amended further. So, maybe they get Berserk as a toggle that switches them to attack with automatically chosen (based on context, not purely random) abilities, but there's also a UI change that swaps out your hotbars for a quicktime event kind of interface. So, if you press a particular button at the right moment, you get a damage boost to the ability in use. Of course, that'd be a bit jarring as something you could do constantly, but maybe for 30 seconds every two minutes? And you could still move around and change your target while its active.

I think Mime would need a new Class to start from. Some kind of DoM with a weird weapon, because Mime definitely has to come from a magical background. Maybe it could share its base class with Blue Mage? I think that would make a lot of sense.

Mimes are super cool, but I really don't know how you got that from Marauder. I think a second Job for that is more likely to be Berserker, taking particular inspiration from FFX-2 where going into Berserk mode was an option, not a default.

Of course, you can't have a type of character in an MMO that automatically deals massive damage without any input at all, so it'd have to be amended further. So, maybe they get Berserk as a toggle that switches them to attack with automatically chosen (based on context, not purely random) abilities, but there's also a UI change that swaps out your hotbars for a quicktime event kind of interface. So, if you press a particular button at the right moment, you get a damage boost to the ability in use. Of course, that'd be a bit jarring as something you could do constantly, but maybe for 30 seconds every two minutes? And you could still move around and change your target while its active.

I think Mime would need a new Class to start from. Some kind of DoM with a weird weapon, because Mime definitely has to come from a magical background. Maybe it could share its base class with Blue Mage? I think that would make a lot of sense.

I really thought about Berserker when I made that post cause I was looking at all the FF 5 jobs, and you are right, it fits better for Marauder.  Mime is soooo cool I hope it gets in, but yeah, it should be changed to Berserker there with Mime getting in somewhere else.....  I will edit it. 

Thinking about it.. Axes have never really been popular in the Final Fantasy series.

Apart from Berserkers, and now Marauders and Warriors of XIV (and XI I suppose), they've never really been all that well represented..

This could mean that we'll get something new and unique in the form of a second Marauder job.. Could be rather intriguing, if that is the case.

Either that, or Dark Knights will use Scythes and branch off from Marauders I suppose..

Marauder - Axe - Warrior and Beserker

Lancer - Dragoon and Blue Mage (a la Lancet from FF 10)

Marauder I could see possibly going Beastmaster? Kind of a stretch, but it could work. Warrior seems fairly similar to what Beserker would be, and Beastmaster could be more of a support-ish role for Marauder.

Blue Mage with a lance is an interesting idea. I like it. Adds a little more uniqueness to the job, and there's a lack of lance using jobs in FF. I'm hoping for a BLU addition somewhere down the road as I was a BLU in XI.

Geomancer does use an axe but I think that job will come from a mage class if it comes.  

Blue Mage was mentioned once to not be in the plans at the time they addressed it but they are redoing the bestiary and blue mage is soooo FF and the game is striving to capture classic FF.  I just think it will be in there at some point.

Yeah lancer would be great cause dragoon is the only job to use lance but khamari in ff 10 used it for the lancet learn ability so it has the history to work.

Geomancer does use an axe but I think that job will come from a mage class if it comes.

A Geomancer job with terrain-based abilities would be a very cool offensive alternative for Conjurers. The official description of Conjurer says they use the aether of their surroundings, so Geomancer could easily fit right in.

Blue Mage was mentioned once to not be in the plans at the time they addressed it but they are redoing the bestiary and blue mage is soooo FF and the game is striving to capture classic FF.  I just think it will be in there at some point.

You also have to take into account that the team has spent the past long while working just to make the game playable again for v2.0, which would understandably leave little time for working on future jobs. Once the game is finished and relaunched they'll have plenty of time to dream up new jobs for us, and the jobs they know to be fan favorites are probably at the top of the list. :thumbsup:

Is there a chance that they'll still have another job at launch? They announced Scholar at E3 which wasn't very long ago. In my opinion it would be very strange to launch without a greatsword. I'd have to do a significant amount of digging to find a fantasy MMO that doesn't have a greatsword.

With two months left, I don't think that we'll have any chance of that.

Yoshi-P and the ARR team have also been rather.. Bad, at keeping new things hidden from us players, so if they had any plans of adding a greatsword-wielding class for launch, we'd have already something distinct about it, rather than just rumours.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a chance that they'll still have another job at launch? They announced Scholar at E3 which wasn't very long ago. In my opinion it would be very strange to launch without a greatsword. I'd have to do a significant amount of digging to find a fantasy MMO that doesn't have a greatsword.

I would expect Musketeer to be released some time before the first expansion. There is already a guild for it in Limsa Lominsa.

As for DRK, I really hope we do get it at some point in the future.

I would add that Thancred from the Ul'Dah storyline leaped into the air, produced three knives in one hand and dispatched a guard while in midair, upside down. That seems to me to be a precursor to a similar job becoming available. As some have said, I think it would be Scout/Ninja/Thief.

Also, the Flame General in Ul'Dah is wearing Gladiator type armor but has TWO swords on his hips. I think that points to a more offensive-minded job coming out for Gladiator at some point in the future.

Here's something ya'll might find interesting, on the topic of Dark Knight and other new jobs.

From a recent interview with Yoshida.

The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE)

Will you make the second jobs very different from their class or first job? For example, the Dark Knight is a very aggressive job and since you seem to want it to become the second Gladiator job (This has never been confirmed but since Yoshi-P always uses it as an example, you never know... ), don't you think Gladiator's abilities are in contradiction with his style?

Naoki Yoshida (NY):

I see what you mean. We created the system, but we do not necessarily need to follow it all the time. For example, let’s say that the Dark Knight is the second Gladiator job (attention, it is still not a confirmation), when you get its job stone at level 30, all acquired Gladiator skills will certainly be modified to better fit the image of the Dark Knight.

It was just to give an example to explain that we are not going to destroy how players consider different classes / jobs. It could be an interesting way to introduce future classes / jobs. We will consider your concerns on this issue, rest assured.

This should make things more interesting, don't you think?

Source.

Here's something ya'll might find interesting, on the topic of Dark Knight and other new jobs.

From a recent interview with Yoshida.

The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE)

Will you make the second jobs very different from their class or first job? For example, the Dark Knight is a very aggressive job and since you seem to want it to become the second Gladiator job (This has never been confirmed but since Yoshi-P always uses it as an example, you never know... ), don't you think Gladiator's abilities are in contradiction with his style?

Naoki Yoshida (NY):

I see what you mean. We created the system, but we do not necessarily need to follow it all the time. For example, let’s say that the Dark Knight is the second Gladiator job (attention, it is still not a confirmation), when you get its job stone at level 30, all acquired Gladiator skills will certainly be modified to better fit the image of the Dark Knight.

It was just to give an example to explain that we are not going to destroy how players consider different classes / jobs. It could be an interesting way to introduce future classes / jobs. We will consider your concerns on this issue, rest assured.

This should make things more interesting, don't you think?

Source.

Yoshi-P is fast becoming my favorite producer/game visionary. He's the man.