Ever get that villainous feel? (Split Personality Villain)

So before going forward, some context here may require very limited FF9 knowledge. Like legit, if you own it? Play like disc 1, and thats as much as you need. I'll wait. . . Done? Steiner's kind of a dick right? But moving on.

So the reason I'm posting this is I've never played villains, like, at all. Like ever. I always play good guys, or at least neutral guys. But after an interesting Pen and Paper FF session I wanted to translate a character I played to game, but... You know, better. I want to make a character that has one of those dual identity crisis situations, where they may be ignorant or unaware of the other's existence or in outright denial. The normal one being your everyday desert street rat making ends meet however he can day by day, be it quick smooth talking and attempted charm, clever quick business or guild work, or even outright shoplifting. A goal to live up to expectations placed before him, but also a deep disconnect from their identity for one reason or another. Maybe they have a weird mutation, bad scarring, something that pushes them to be more but always stuck to the streets, or as I call it the Disney's Aladdin syndrome.

The flip? Heres where we return to the FF9 topic. I was inspired by the appearance and 'abilities' of the trio known as the Black Waltz. For those without the knowledge and too lazy to google: A set of three artificial black mages who's powers go beyond the standard Black Mage ability: BW1 could summon and was based around ice and putting foes to sleep; BW2 could teleport around and wasn't as focused on one particular element but did prefer Fire; BW3 was extremely resilient and had powerful Lightning magic, and could consistently fly via wings. My idea was to make a villainous personality that takes on the original side's identity crisis, but harness it to pursue power more directly: Hunting down more means to empower themselves, at any cost. Be it through the help of dark magic, primals, etc.

I planned to play it "class wise" so the regular personality came off like a Thief, while the villain took on a mix of Black Magic, Arcanist, and Summoner features. I also note that the real villainy side would probably end up only being shown during FC storyline and events since... LEts be honest, while it would be fun to buy Megaflare and use it against a random RP party fighting me, it also comes off god moddy if players don't entirely want to be part of your villain stuff :P So I've left that note to keep a certain power/RP limit and difference based on who I RP with to not spoil other's good time by just playing a villain.

But now that my rant is over, anyone advice or tips from those who have played a "storyline villain" or split personality or anything, thats what I'm looking for as I level the toon who will be groomed into the character.

Power-level is a vague thing and if the players are invested and you seem to be handling it fairly most people will let all sorts of weirdness slide. The larger problems are going to be handling the well-done narrative of a split personality villain in an interesting way. Some significant problems:

1. Frequently played not as Jekyll and Hyde, but as Hyde and Hyde's- Slightly-Less-Of-A-Dickbag Twin. That is to say, people play a snarky jerk normally, and then a snarky jerk who loses control and becomes even more of a jerk with superpowers. Do not do this thing. Give people a reason to care about the Jekyll side of a character, otherwise there won't be any real moral qualms about killing the character and leaving the Hyde element to rot. The idea of playing a "charming" thief as a Jekyll can easily turn into this if it turns out you don't play him in as charming a manner as you think you do.

2. Metagaming will be your worst enemy. By my example alone, split personality antagonists are as old as the Victorian period and no doubt farther. People know the trope, will roleplay knowing the trope in game, and will pick up on tells that your character is a split personality faster than you will like for the sake of plot progression. As such, don't place a lot of weight on the surprise that the character has a split personality.

3. Assuming player and character naivete will be your second worst enemy who hangs out with your worst enemy and talks shit about you behind your back. Despite the above, I can't even say you should ignore characters who just assume the truth; unfortunately, split-personality villains are a popular RP villain concept, so it's likely that other characters will have encountered it before and therefore have plausible reasons for being prepared to deal with it accordingly. I say this partly to reinforce  that you shouldn't over-emphasize the surprise with this character as above and partly to emphasize that you will have to walk a fine line in determining whether or not a character is metagaming or is making a reasonable assumption based on past experience.

Edited by Verad
3 minutes ago, Verad said:

-Snip-

Valid. In terms of Powerlevel I'm not even sure what most people hold as the norm so I try not to throw too much out there unless its like a linkshell or FC where we can discuss it. Random players showing for an event though I know ownt always have the same idea of whats acceptable.

1) Never going to Hyde/Hyder. I've wrote a bit on this since I posted, and its easier to say Jekyll side will be adorably socially akward at trying to be charming and be a goof, less than the debonair playboy type of charm. Literally your street rat who tries to come off as likable but is aware of his own shortcomings and tries to hide them because they aspire to be more. Hyde will be the embodiment of that refusal to accept their flaws and aspire for power, perverted by something from the past, and their air of concern or care for others comes second to their pursuit, trying to manipulate morals and ethics to explain the purpose in their work.

2) Yeah, i considered this ahead of time. My only net of hope here is going to be costuming and such to hide the appearance switch. Thank god for Blackmage Facemasks xD

3) Considered this too. Which why I don't intend of the SUPRISE! EVIl! trope to make is appearance, and play up more around the character's ignorance to the fact he DOES have a second personality more than the play that it will be actively played off to be a suprise. I think I personally prefer the story arc of the Jekyll having to come to terms and also simultaneously fear that there is a presence in them that is by definition evil and harmful to those around him.

Thank you for the input tho ❤️