Lawlessness

I'm just wondering, what's the general take on laws within an RP world? Like, I come from a game in which brawls, assassination attempts, kidnappings, even public murders! Occured frequently, with nary a consequence in sight. Should things like policing forces and jailtime be expected? Or would this stifle creativity? Is this decided on a LS by LS basis? Or does one typically follow the law guidelines (or lack thereof) that the game sets forth?

Thanks! Sorry I adk so many questions... ._.

I would say that since no one really knows what the laws in Eorzea really are, some common sense applies. Things like treason, theft, murder, and any type of brutality would obviously incur some jail time (or even time in the arena for Ul'dah), however I don't think a bar brawl will end with you getting arrested by Wood Wailers. I also don't expect anyone to RP that they spent three weeks in jail if they don't want to.

To add to that, there are also some cultural differences to take in. For instance, Ishgard probably has some laws surrounding their military discipline and religious zeal.

No one can force you into jail time. But if your character performs a crime, and other RPers witness it or even hear of it, you will likely learn how those particular characters feel about your actions. Which could very well mean a group of other players would want to bring you to justice in one way or another. My advice is to keep it subtle and believable. All the city states have a force that keeps peace and serves justice. Assuming that you could get away open public criminal activity is probably a bit much.

This will likely also vary widely from one RP group to the next.  We encountered something like this back in FFXI where a member finally had to be ousted after several attempts to mediate the issue because there were simply never any realistic consequences for any number of [often unrealistic] misdeeds.  In that particular instance there was also a godmode element, however different RPers who practice different styles may look upon this sort of thing in varied ways.

Consider the possible impact upon characters who RP law enforcement types of characters as well.

Also there's absolutely nothing wrong at all with asking a lot of questions!  :thumbsup:

Laws would be tricky. 

I think the the Eorzea's main cities (Ul'da, Gridania, etc) would behave not be unlike ancient Greek's city states. Yes they were all Greeks (Eorzeans) but they were also athenians, spartans, and so on. Each City and the territory surrounding it had it's own laws to adhear to. Which tended to cause problems as what's legal in sparta wasn't exactly legal in Athens. This led to a lot of in state fighting and backstabbing which only went away *at least somewhat* when Rome had a collective enemy, which in Eorzea's case would be the Garleans and Beastmen. 

But now we are getting off topic. Laws would depend on what city you were in or close to (as towns tended to adopt the laws of the nearby cities to a point). 

In Gridania I imagine there would be a lot of laws involving the conservation of nature. You probably couldn't just go chopping down trees and clearning forests for your new buisness without the approval of the Seedlyns (or whoever is in charge). After all, if one idiot ticks off the elementals then it means trouble for everyone. 

Ul'dah would probably be more concerned with the buisness side of law and would focus on rules that would help keep the economy sable. They also have a sultan and nobles which usually means that different laws apply to those with power and wealth. For example, nobility might be the only ones who have a right to vote on what laws should be passed and which shouldn't. Basically I imagine Ul'dah would be the kind of place that tried to keep the rich, rich and the poor,  poor. Theivery would probably have a high punishment. 

Limsa Lominsa seems to be under military law if I'm reading my lore right. That's somewhat simple. In short? The military is right and your wrong. I could imagine curfews except for those who have a pass. And officers would likely scrutinize every shipment to make sure nothing is being smugled in (if they arn't paid off that is) . That kind of rule usually has a resistance somewhere as well as a seedy underground. Anti-government propaganda would probably be a big no, no. But I might be wrong abot Limsa Lominsa. I haven't read a whole lot of lore on it. 

The tricky thing would be the cultural laws of races. Clan buisness might go against laws of the city states though in my oppinion that would normally be ignored. Clan buisness is clan buisness as the saying goes. You don't get involved unless you absolutly have to. 

This is just guesswork though. I'm certianlly no expert and am only going by what I know of history.

Thanks again to this cool-ass community that about answers it for me ^^

I in no way meant to imply trying to enforce laws myself, that would be problematic and well outside my realm of judgement; I was just curious if there were unspoken guidelines amongst rpers about these things if; say, Aldeus decided to kill Rike (again).

The idea of different cities having different laws or stricter enforcement of them is pretty cool (when in Rome...) and definitely one I could get down with.

I in no way meant to imply trying to enforce laws myself, that would be problematic and well outside my realm of judgement; I was just curious if there were unspoken guidelines amongst rpers about these things if; say, Aldeus decided to kill Rike (again).

The idea of different cities having different laws or stricter enforcement of them is pretty cool (when in Rome...) and definitely one I could get down with.

Yeah...still waiting to be avenged over here.

All the city states have a force that keeps peace and serves justice.  Assuming that you could get away open public criminal activity is probably a bit much.

Ul'dah is a piss-hole where people get mugged, harassed, and possibly even raped in broad daylight in front of and inside the Adventurer's Guild.

Also, no one but our characters cares, apparently.

The Brass Blades are glorified thugs who sell their swords to the highest bidder and the Sultansworn, the only fighting force aside from the Immortal Flames who still protects and enforces the law in Ul'dah, are only seen guarding and patrolling the Husting Strip (second floor of Ul'dah).

I am not saying law doesn't exist in Ul'dah.

I'm saying that no one cares about it.

All the city states have a force that keeps peace and serves justice.  Assuming that you could get away open public criminal activity is probably a bit much.

Ul'dah is a piss-hole where people get mugged, harassed, and possibly even raped in broad daylight in front of and inside the Adventurer's Guild.

Also, no one but our characters cares, apparently.

The Brass Blades are glorified thugs who sell their swords to the highest bidder and the Sultansworn, the only fighting force aside from the Immortal Flames who still protects and enforces the law in Ul'dah, are only seen guarding and patrolling the Husting Strip (second floor of Ul'dah).

I am not saying law doesn't exist in Ul'dah.

I'm saying that no one cares about it.

Hah, true. Or more like, the laws don't apply to the wealthy. I imagine a small time thief getting caught pick pocketing from a nobleman would get in some serious trouble.

However if that nobleman decided to knock some beggars around for dirtying his boots? The guards would probably look the other way. 

Ah Social Classes gotta love it.

Sorry, a band of feral cats came and lapped up your pasta-sauce message, and i've been struggling to put together the clues ever since >_>

Sorry, a band of feral cats came and lapped up your pasta-sauce message, and i've been struggling to put together the clues ever since >_>

What clues?! You said for urself that aldeus killed me!

My character will be engaging in some vigilante practices in ARR. Sometimes there will be cases of extreme vigilantism even. The way the quests and NPCs treat the slaying of brigands and other known criminals makes it seem like it's not only ok, but often rewarding to do so. So even though what Manari will be doing is wrong in most modern societies, and also very morally wounding to her personally, I'm fairly certain she would not be in any trouble by any authoritative power in Eorzea.

It's kind of a shame, because being a criminal for trying to fix things would make a more interesting (and slightly more cliche) story for her.

My character will be engaging in some vigilante practices in ARR.  Sometimes there will be cases of extreme vigilantism even.  The way the quests and NPCs treat the slaying of brigands and other known criminals makes it seem like it's not only ok, but often rewarding to do so.

Should probably add that the THM guild handles a bit of the death sentencing for criminals in Ul'dah.

I'm not sure of the specifics though.