[Mateus] Newly Arrived!

Rising

I started nosing about in FFXIV years ago but I never quite found my niche and drifted away. I decided to give it a shot again but also determined that I'd do so out of the main stream and rolled on Mateus rather than returning to Balmung. 

I plan to play and RP my Au Ra (Raen) but I am having fits over a name. I am curious, how picky is the RP community about names? I would find a fitting "Japanese" first name but I am uncertain about a surname. I even considered a Xaela surname as it fits the idea I have for her story. However, I don't want to be the 'special snowflake' or the lore-breaker. 

Aside from the naming issue, I am looking for any and all good info on Au Ra lore. Ideas, opinions, and especially links to reliable references are much appreciated!

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you lovely people!

Welcome to Mateus. 

Here is a section on the naming conventions; http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63112-Race-Naming-Conventions?p=3039574&viewfull=1#post3039574 

The names that we’ve decided to go with for Final Fantasy XIV, are based off of ones that were prevalent between the 16th and 18th centuries. The Miku in Miku Hatsune? That wasn’t around in the 17th century, so (unfortunately), it isn’t name a Raen family would consider for their daughter, no matter how green/cyan her hair.

So basically, something that's too modern would be considered 'out of place'. Thankfully choosing something between 15thcen-18thcen Japan is a huge gap of time so you can find something relatively easily. Here is a link below which was from during the time people were trying to sort names there's a lot of resources; https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?pid=192289

As for Xaela their "surnames" are their tribes. There are 51 named tribes, or you could make up your own tribe. 
Further info can be found here with the list of the tribes that are currently named: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Xaela

There are other possibilities where your character might not be tribal for whichever reason, though a lot of people prefer to play the tribes since there's so many opportunities of them.

Edited by Fox

Well, I have established a character and while some details will develop through RP, I'd like to introduce Tenmei Kaen!  Mei has been kicking around Ul'dah these last few days people watching. She's met some interesting characters and possibly some new friends.

Thanks to those who interacted with the quiet Raen girl. I look forward to meeting more folks and perhaps finding the few that wish to engage in a more in-depth story. Ideally I'd like to find an individual or small group to adventure with and mutually develop the characters through bonds of friendship and wild adventures. Tenmei has a full-blown case of wanderlust and doesn't like to stay too long in one spot so she could show up anywhere, though right now she's inclined to stick around in Ul'dah and get to know her new friends.