Race Naming Conventions

Sorry if the title's misleading, I wasn't sure what to title it but I have a question I just thought of.

If you make a new character for the races, do you HAVE to name the way that they're expected to be named or, can you use any type of naming convention for them? I hope that made sense. I think I confused myself to be honest.

Hmm, what I mean is should you stick to the way that the names are set up for the specific races or can you think out of the box?

This is just my opinion, but I say be as creative as you want (within certain limitations of craziness, but yeah)

Its a big world. There are a lot of circumstances that lead to things outside the norm. Even in lets say United States culture, there are all sorts of names that don't necessarily fit any pattern. Some names are Biblical, others are shiny objects parents saw.

My own character is a Miqo'te, but was raised by Hyur. His upbringing is going to sway him more towards Hyur culture.

So I think if you're getting flak for a name you want (That isn't "Princess Banana Hammock the Third") then honestly I'd just ignore them. A RP community is hardly a place to extinguish individualistic creativity.

If you want to be realistic to the lore RP-wise, name your character whatever you want, and have a legitimate reason why their name is not conventional (their parents were kookie, they grew up outside their race, they legally changed their name...)

If you do not want to be realistic to the lore, name your character whatever you want, because it's your character, so its up to you what you like :)

Of course you don't have to, it's just fun to imo! But if you prefer not to, as they said, to have a reason why they're not conforming to the norms in case it comes up IC. :)

It's also worth mentioning that it's perfectly within the lore for people from the races with more unusual naming conventions to change their names to something more general sounding, so that the other races can pronounce them easier. Similar to how people coming to America from Asian countries will often take a romanized name.

My character is a Hyr Highlander named John Spiegel. Since they released the naming conventions a couple months back, I decided to give him a Highlander birthname Jnsyn Silversheath, but sometime during his early years he "changed" his name to John/Johnson Spiegel. Going along with Highlander naming conventions, he's also adopted various surnames through his years from his feats in combat. ICly, JJ really doesn't care what anyone calls him... usually saying "Just JJ is fine!"

Nothing says you got to follow any naming conventions. As others have said, if you'd like an IC reason why your character doesn't have a racially-appropriate name, that's cool~!

It's also worth mentioning that it's perfectly within the lore for people from the races with more unusual naming conventions to change their names to something more general sounding, so that the other races can pronounce them easier. Similar to how people coming to America from Asian countries will often take a romanized name.

Sorry for double post, but the changing-for-pronunciation-thing is part of of JJ's name change! (also, it wasn't just Asian immigrants, folks from Slovakia, Poland, Russia.... Europe in general also had their names "Americanized"!)

I think it depends on who your character is (or, who you decide who your character is because you really like a name!).

If your character is a Roegadyn, lived with other Roegadyn, and grew up in that culture, they're probably going to have a Roegadyn name. (or in the case of Hellsguard, an English/common version of that name :B)

On the other hand, if your character was a Hyur, but was adopted by Roegadyn and lived in that culture, they might have a Roegadyn name too! Or vice-versa.

Like Aldeus and Garryson said, it's a big world where a lot of weird circumstances can happen. If you like a name that doesn't "fit the character's race," then handwave it off or use that as a plot point for your character's story.

Well in my case, I found the race naming conventions so damn fascinating that I spent most of yesterday figuring out names that I liked that fit ALL race/clan conventions (I always RP a female because, well, I'm female and that's what I do).

But as for everyone, I mean I don't think it much matters whether you use a favorite name that carries across games. As in, I don't think anyone will jump you for it.