Letters to Mother

The following is a collection of letters written by my character Cellestitte Arendell to her adoptive mother Elfene Viebelle. If you are interested, you may read my character's backstory draft in the following thread:

This thread is closed for IC but opened to OOC posts from the community. For other details, you can also message me directly.

Please enjoy.

My dearest mother,

This early letter might come as a surprise but I wished to write to you as soon as possible. I’ve arrived at Gridania well and good, and was in awe as soon as I stepped out of the traveling caravan. Tis even more beautiful than you had described and even fuller than I imagined. Never in our little village had I seen such a colourful array of people, with so many races, so many colours, so many dialects. I'd only stepped into the inn to start hearing the most exotic stories of faraway lands as adventurers came and went hurryingly.

After getting used to the frenetic rhythm of the colours, I went to seek out Mother Miounne, who sees to the newcomers. When I mentioned my hometown and your name, she welcomed me with open arms and asked how you were. Though she had smiled, her eyes held an underlying sadness, the same I see in yours whenever you speak of the past. But she was pleased to know you are well and promised to write you a letter soon, now that she knows where to send it.

I told her the reason of my travel, to learn more about my starry dream. She advised me to seek out the advice of E-Sumi-Yan, the master of the Conjurer’s Guild in old Gridania. Alas, after giving him all of the details I had, he couldn’t shine light on the matter. Said twas a very peculiar dream, especially since it’s happened since I was a child. Though discouraged at first, he lifted my spirits by saying I had a great affinity with the elementals and the flowing of aether in the air. After sorting some details, I had agreed to practice the art of conjury under his guild. He is convinced that by honing my skills to attune to the aether I shall find clarity in deciphering my dream. His words put a smile on my face, “Such a persistent dream is bound to have a more profound meaning. I am sure this will be revealed in due time”. Somehow, his words felt right. I believe my travels and adventures will eventually lead me to the right place.

I promise to write as often as I can and retell my adventures to you.

Your loving daughter,

Cellestitte

• 4 weeks later...

Dearest Mother,

I hope this letter finds you full of energy, as always. After spending some time in Gridania and doing odd errands I was finally able to save up enough gil for two airship tickets: one for Limsa Lominsa and another for Ul’Dah.

I am writing you this letter from one of the many breezy balconies around Limsa Lominsa. This city feels much bigger than Gridania, with high platforms of beautiful white stone and red banners, long docks full of trading ships of the most varied flags and sizes. And of course, the people! The city is much crowded and full of noisy trading. Alass, it also seems that the shadows hide some less savory folk. Not soon after I left the airship dock and visited the markets for the first time that I found my waist belt lighter and my gil pouch gone. T’was lucky of me to keep my ticket for Ul’Dah in an inside pocket or that might have been taken as well. I spoke to the guards but it seems here is little to do: my gil is gone and I found myself back to doing odd favors for coin, but at least I grew wiser. I have met others who faired the same fate and they gave me sound advice for venturing into these sort of cities.

Despite this event, I was able to find much good around the city. I have befriended the local fishermen due of two siblings who constantly compete with one another and they taught me their trade. I am ashamed to say I did not catch much but I thanked them by cooking supper. You always said I had a talent for cooking and they were quick to agree: they urged me to visit the Bismarck, the most popular restaurant in these lands, and speak with the chefs there. T’was wise of me to visit during the middle of afternoon and catch a calm time in the grand kitchens. I was skittish at first but the head cook was very friendly. He gave me a trial to impress and I passed, earning my first apron! He has agreed to teach me some techniques and for now I have earned a place in his kitchen and a portion of gil for my daily work. I will use the opportunity to learn as much as I can and fill my pockets before heading to Ul’Dah. I shall write my next letter to you then.

With all my love,

Cellestitte