A rough idea that needs polishing.

Greetings everyone, I've been playing FFXIV for abit (Started on PS4 but moved to PC with a new character.) however I have been wanting to start roleplaying as of late even though I did a bit of solo play just to get used to how the game handles on PC. I haven't been a roleplayer since the golden era of RP back in the mid 2010's, as such I feel it safe to say that I'm starting from the bottom up and will no doubt be looking to improve as I rp, however what I am unsure about is how to get a solid foundation for my characters backstory, I don't know much in the way of the lore though I did manage to get to Heavensward on PS4, however I have been working on developing my character as the adoptee of a former monk from Shirogane, and yet I don't know how to tie it all together. If there is anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction for Lore information or be generous with a few tips I would greatly appreciate it. 

To make it short the ingame jobs like monk are usually very specific arts related to specific regions, cultures and knowledge as well as certain restrictions. Monks for example origin from Gyr Abania, the mountainous region where lies the city state of Ala Mhigo. They mostly use the aether gathered through their bodies by the inner opening of chakras and their mastery, allowing them to tune their bodies into aetherially charged weapons.

In other regions however you will find pretty much elsewhere fighters that just use their fists to fight and follow various martials arts. Pugilism is one of them and taught in Uld'ah, originating from the enforcers of the Platinum Mirage (an exclusive club for the very wealthy), and spreaded all around from there up to the Pugilist guild. 

All in all, ingame classes and especially jobs are usually specific to regions and culture and follow some amount of restriction in exchange for a background (monk, from the Order of the Fists of Rhalgr in Ala Mhigo and all the history that follows that specific order of fighters, etc, for example). You can also choose the very open road of someone just fighting with just their fists and feet and originating from anywhere.

You can also find other workarounds, like learning the monk arts from maybe one of the few monk survivors of the genocide of the Fists of Rhalgr performed by the ala mhigan King of Ruin on their order, wiping them out of the map, for example (and said imaginary monk would have fled all the way to Shirogane?). You can also just be someone having learned easter martial arts and fight with fists. Or make your own homebrew thing a bit out of the lore by doing some world building and creating your own village or community. Possibilities are many. But the monk arts of chakras in themselves are rather restricted to the ala mhigan background, just keep that in mind.

Some monk lore

Pugilists lore

Have a look at the general page from Sounssy's blog if you're interested to read more about Ala Mhigo, or the Far East

Edited by Valence