Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Peach Pie, Coconut Custard Pie......

*Places pies from his pie sack on the ground to share, backs up, then extends quills like a porcupine* 

There.. I've made a defensive gesture. I feel better. Hi! My name is El. Please excuse said preemptive defensive gesture. I'm actually a big 'ole cuddly teddy bear that loves rp, it's just past mmo/mmo community experiences have left a sour taste in my mouth and.. Well.. I'm getting ahead of myself....  

MMORPG background

I've played mmo's for a while. My first was EQ2. The one I stuck with the longest was WoW. I started to play back in.. Oooohhhh I think it was end of 2004. My time there ended as I switched to DCUO, Rift, SWTOR, Tera, Star Trek Online, Defiance and recently Neverwinter. I've been everything from a heavy raider, to a heavy pvp'er and, of course, a heavy rp'er. 

RP experience

Ohhh rp. Did I mention I love rp? It's really been a corner stone in my life since I was little. I started playing Dungeon's and Dragons and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons with my older brothers in the early 80's. That segged into games of the Palladium Role Play System (Robotech, Rifts, TMNT and Hero's Unlimited). I've also done a spatter of live action rp, West End Games and other games (Shadowrun, Call of Cthulu, etc).

Character ideas/info

I have two potential and one possible at this time. My first, which I've been fleshing out is a Roegydan Sea Wolf Conjurer. The second is a Lalafel Pugilist. My far distant idea is a Hyur Highlander... However I could only play a highlander if they actually had kilts.

How did you learn about the coalition?

I learned about the coalition from my fiancee. She learned about it when she got into the beta, then went on the beta forums which brought her here... You know, that old chestnut.... 

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

I prefer and hope to have a heavy rp style, but know that we as rp'er's tend to be the minority in mmo's, so whatever rp I can find will make me happy. 

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

I'm a huge family man, and my family comes first. I have my beloved fiancee (as mentioned before) and the world's greatest daughter, who is the other cornerstone of my life. I actually brag a lot about her, so if it ever get's annoying just slap me and I'll stop. 

I come from a military background. I've worked in the emergency service field since coming out of the military, mostly in Fire and then in Law Enforcement, but I've done it all (dispatch, ems, etc). I was actually medically retired from my law enforcement job because I had to get my knee replaced due to an on the job injury. 

My hobbies include cooking, computer games, writing, movies, traveling, attempting to draw and building costumes. I finished high school, and though I've had a spattering of college my "school" has been life, and all it's guises. It's actually quite funny, coming from a family of artists and scholars like I do, I'm the knuckle dragger of the lot. :lol:

So, my defensive gesture from before.... I'm salty and a bit jaded. Not only that, but other then the very first Final Fantasy that I played on the NES, I have NO experience with Final Fantasy lore. Suffice to say, not having an lore knowledge and seeing that the community is an established community it's a little intimidating for me.....  I will admit this. 

But, I like I said.... Once those shields are lowered I am extremely loyal, fun and playful. I've been reading as much as I can on FFXIV lore in preparation of my characters and being a member of the community. More to the point, however,  I'm pretty sick and tired from bouncing around mmo's and am hoping that FFXIV:ARR is going to be the one I spend the rest of my days with, and I hope in that I can become an active and helpful member of the community.

Soooo, uh *rubs back of neck* Enjoy the pie! 

Hey man, welcome :)

You seem to be a cool guy with a ton of experience RPing. Hope you find this community as welcoming as I did, people are pretty great :) FFXIV: ARR lore is a little messed up IMO due to the game being so bad at first, a lot of the lore had to be bent out of shape for things to make sense, I guess. It seems some characters have endured the Calamity, and some have "time skipped" (this is lore-endorsed time skipping mind you) to the present year of ARR, which makes things a little :dazed: in the beta testing. (Some characters are "canon" other "non-canon" until game launch I guess?) Have you decided if your character went through the Calamity or time skipped yet? It might be cool to make some connections especially if the seawolf Roegadyn lived through it and was around Limsa Lominsa. I am new at RP but I hope to surround myself with excellent RPers and learn from them! :angel:

Either way, hope you have a nice stay... and lore tip, don't get stabbed by these: :tonberry:

Thanks for the warm welcomes everybody :D *places a pie down for everyone*. 

@Ernest West: Yea, I'm thinking that whichever character I make will have lived through the calamity. I'm also going to keep them out of any military settings, just making them normal folk during the time that was the first ff and the calamity.

Welcome Elkabong! I really hope you get the feeling this community is anything but intimidating. Admittedly, there is a lot of information flowing through this board at all hours of the day and night and trying to keep up can sometimes be a bit overwhelming at first. But once you dig into it, I personally believe it'll keep you hooked.

As far as lore is concerned, I would recommend looking at [this website] which contains a very large collection of storyline cutscenes from the 1.0 to 1.23b era.

Looking forward to interacting with you (and your fiancee) in Beta!

Edit: I also forgot there's a good comprehensive look at 1.0 lore located in [this thread] too.