Hello, new to RP

Hello! I am Lulu and have been playing ffxiv since ARR launch. I am a Viera. I must admit I never really paid too much attention to the story, however Shadowbringers really captured me. I have since started studying the lore of the game, and I feel like I want to start to RP, mostly Shadowbringers RP if that is a thing.  However I have never RP in my life and I don’t really know where to begin or what to do. So, any tips or advice is much welcome. Can I be married to an npc? Thanks for reading. 

Hey there Lulu! I'm also new to FF roleplay, but I've been around a couple blocks when it comes to online rping. I'm not quite sure how different MMO rp is from forum rp, but I bet some core rp rules remain the same.

The first and most important thing is to remember that you're roleplaying with other people. Mainly that means respecting everyone else's rights to play just as important a character as you--which means not deciding what other players do for them (known as 'godmodding'), asking out of character (Usually specified by ((double parentheses)) but it might be different for FF rp specifically?) before you try to do something major like attack, kill or relocate the other character, and trying not to make a story that would put your character way more important than others (for this reason, most people don't play the backstory the Game's Main Plot gives you--since that makes you, automatically, the most important person in the realm.) As long as you don't try to goad, force or overpower others with your character you can probably res easy.

Other than that you're doing one of the best things to do for roleplay--your research! Getting a solid base is important for making engaging and believable characters. As for your wedding an NPC, I'd be careful about that or avoid it outright...tempting tho it may be, thousands of people interact with that NPC every day, so trying to claim relation to them might be seen as passe. You can always make an original character for your backstory to be wed to? But it's also fun leaving yourself open to potential relationships blooming along the way, whatever they may be.

Finally, to get you started I suggest putting your character through the Mary Sue Litmus Test https://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm (Mary sues aren't a sin, they're quite fun, but this is a good barometer to see how obtrusive your character might be in a group roleplay situation), and to look at the Roleplay Handbook 

and Frequently Discussed Subjects for more specific information. From one newbie to another, I hope you connect up to people and have fun!