New to FF14 RP/Help with Alts

starryslug

About me/ MMORPG background

Hi there! I've been playing FFXIV since 2014 when ARR was still the newest and hottest thing, and well before separate NA data centers existed. I started on Gilgamesh since I knew friends who played there, and haven't left to this day. However, I've found the server's focus on endgame and raid content to be a bit stifling. I've been lurking this forum for a couple weeks now and think getting back into roleplaying could really be the spark I need to fall back in love with this game. 

However, I don't view my current character on Gilgamesh as "RP" ready, and I'm not ready to transfer either. With the worlds finally being less congested, I created an alt for an OC on Balmung. My main question is this: how do you approach roleplaying on an alt? I don't have the money for a level skip, unfortunately, but I want my character to be a machinist who specializes in crafting. How do you go about roleplaying as an underleveled, beginner character, despite still knowing much about the game?

RP background

I roleplayed often in various forums and with friends when I was in high school, but it's been about 6 years since then. I'm a bit rusty and have no experience with roleplay in MMORPGs. I would love for someone to show me the ropes!

Character ideas/info

My character is Beryl Forst, a female midlander who was adopted by an Elven blacksmith who lives in rural Coerthas. She was raised as an apprentice to her father to turn a profit on their-quality and often ornate art of weapon smithing.

She is a no-nonsense hard-worker who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. She knows her way around the local merchants and townsfolk, and is able to turn a high profit thanks to her versatility. She takes up all kinds of odd jobs in exchange for coin or materials she can use, but has a general dislike of worldly affairs and the business of adventurers (aside from how it affects her own business, of course.) 

Because she's focused primarily on practicality, Beryl isn't always looking for romance, but a nice girl might change her mind. (She's bi with a strong leaning towards women.)

How did you learn about the coalition?

Lots of google searches searching for a good RP community!

What kind of roleplayer are you aiming to be? 

Light to medium, depending on my availability.

Other info: 

I'm a 25-year-old female irl who works two part-time jobs to make ends meet and writes freelance on the side. That means I keep a pretty a busy schedule, but I do make it a point to log on as often as I'm able.  I'm usually free in the evenings and late at night. 

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all! ❤️

Attached is a drawing of my character! 

BerylConcepts_A.png

Greetings starryslug, welcome aboard the FFXIV RP website! o/  

One of my RP alts is a machinist and one is an astrologian, so I feel your pain. ^ ^  I played through ARR to unlock the class for the first character and I'll need to do the same for the other, there's no way around it from what I can tell besides buying the quest progression packs. 

Write your character in accordance with whatever her level of education and personal experience would be, I doubt anyone will hold that against you. It's not uncommon for RPers to write around whatever is being literally represented in the game by a power level, body measurement, etc. This may sound odd but knowing a lot about the game will actually help you set the parameters for Beryl's progression as a machinist and crafter. 

Brilliant illustration of Beryl by the way!