Viera Background Question

ashyah

Howdy folks! I was interested in using my Viera character for rp but I had a question about their origins. I've read what I could about lore compilations but I thought I'd just ask so forgive me if this seems obvious! Are Viera found solely on the First or are there those who are native to the Source? Is it a case like the other races where they are found on both and just have a differing name? And if there are those who have lived on the Source, have they just been hidden from society so far? And if they are only found on the First, would it be a huge deal for an average, non-WOL character to be able to come to the Source? Thanks very much!

44 minutes ago, ashyah said:

Is it a case like the other races where they are found on both and just have a differing name?

Exactly this. Viera is their name on the Source. They're called the Viis on the First.

And if there are those who have lived on the Source, have they just been hidden from society so far?

The paragraphs that are included on their character creation screens-- which I'm assuming you missed --actually more or less answer this question. There was a little bit of info given about them by an NPC during the Return to Ivalice raid as well. ALL of that information, in addition to their naming convention, has been neatly compiled into this single post, so please read everything here: https://mirkemenagerie.tumblr.com/post/181850817699/the-viera

would it be a huge deal for an average, non-WOL character to be able to come to the Source?

Based on this question, and actually the vast majority of your post, it sounds like you haven't played through Shadowbringers yet. There is a bit of a discourse in the community about who is and who isn't willing to accept headcanon of characters traveling between the Source and the First. Everyone has a different opinion and personal tolerance level, so it's a decision you have to make on your own. Personally, I'd suggest you speak with whoever your RP partner(s) is/are and determine what you and those in your personal circle would be most comfortable with.

However, playing through Shadowbringers will give you a lot of the context for that discourse, so I do suggest you go through it when you're able to.

Edited by Kismet

Viera are found both on the First and the Source. Like the other races they go by different names in the First; Viis I believe. Not sure about their society in the First, but on the Source the majority of them are a reserved bunch, keeping to the forests and jungles, though according to the lore, some among their number have ventured outside of their settlements. If you want more information you can look here https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Viera hope this helps you out!

Edited by Lone Adventurer