Letters to a Sister 3

Sosuh,

I got into a fight today. Yes, I know that's not surprising, but I didn't start it this time, believe it or not. You probably don't, but by Shivah's frigid arse, this time it's true.

I was cutting through this back alley - Pearl Lane, I think it's called. Sort of a rough place, usually filled with laborers and refugees. I don't think it has a very good reputation around the rest of Ul'dah. It wasn't my first time, though, so I wasn't worried.

There were these merchants there, which was strange because usually they all seem too stuffy and soft to ever go somewhere like Pearl Lane. One of them was backed up against a wall and the other was standing over him, along with a pair of swivers. Third-rate cutthroats, I think, and they smelled like aldgoat shite.

The nervous merchant was going on about payment or some other such. It sounded like he owed money. The other just brushed him off, something about how he "knew the arrangement". The nervous merchant pleaded, but then the two big swivers stepped toward him. They had a real nasty look in their eyes, too.

I stepped in before I even realized what I was doing, and told the merchant with the cutthroats to piss off. He laughed at me and my tail bristled. Arrogant bastard. He said it had nothing to do with me and if I were smart, I'd walk away and forget I saw anything.

I punched him in the face.

His two friends were on me in seconds, drawing their swords. I was much faster. Master Hamon's training must have paid off, because even I was surprised at how quickly they ended up on the ground.

I won't lie, it was amusing to watch the three of them stumbling off with their tails between their legs. I'd have laughed, if I hadn't been so agitated. But as he ran away, the cutthroat merchant started shouting at me, about how I didn't even know how much trouble I was in, how I'd regret everything, and how he was going to inform the Flames that some Miqo'te thug was attacking honest businessmen.

The nervous merchant stayed behind. He thanked me, said nobody had ever stepped in on his behalf like that before. You and Mother would have been proud, I think. Even if I did settle things by fighting again.

But I can't stop thinking about what the cutthroat merchant said. About how I would regret it and how he would get The Immortal Flames involved. Maybe he was talking out his arse, but maybe not. Would they believe the word of some stranger who has only been in Ul'dah a few bells?

Eigth Hell, I need a drink. Or I need to punch something. Or both, in whichever order. Maybe this is why Mother never bothered much with cities. At least on the outside, predators look like predators.

If you don't hear from me for a while, I was probably arrested for assault. Don't tell Mother.

- Talha

(OOC: Just wanted to make sure it's okay that I keep posting these separately as I get the urge to write them. I'm not sure if it would be preferable for me to just post them as replies to each other instead. If so, just let me know and I'll make sure I do that from now on!) 

Sosuh,

I did not get arrested, thank the Twelve. It sure seemed like I was going to be, though.

The very next sun after my run in with that swiving merchant, I was at the market, when suddenly one of the Brass Blades approached me. Had a real serious look on his face, too.

He put his hand on the hilt of his sword, as though he meant to draw it on me, and asked me about those two merchants. What happened, what I saw, if I really punched that one fool. I would be lying if I told you I wasn't nervous, but I told him the truth.

The Blade explained to me that the merchant I punched - Elwin, I guess he's called - was furious about the whole thing. He came to the Blades a little while after, raising a big commotion about how he'd been suddenly attacked by some violent Miqo'te, who was probably using somnus (swiving whoreson).

But then, if you can believe it, the Blade told me that Elwin has always been a huge pain in the arse. Apparently, this isn't the first time he's come to them, spinning stories like this, and he's always been more trouble than he's worth, starting problems and whatall.

Anyroad, the Blade tells me he just had to talk mostly to get Elwin out of his hair and told me to just avoid the Twelve-damned idiot for a bit. That was that, he bid me good day and left.

Thal's balls, you can imagine how good it felt to have that weight lifted off my shoulders! And that wasn't even the only thing that came of it - when I went to the Guild later to train, old Hamon told me he heard all about it, too. He just laughed and clapped me on the shoulder, and told me he'd love to give Elwin a punch in the face himself. 

I don't regret knocking that damned merchant on his arse one bit, but I'm glad that mess is settled. For a moment, I was sure my time at the Pugilists' Guild was over.

This whole thing only made me even more certain that I made the right choice coming to Ul'dah and joining the Guild. I'm going to keep putting everything I have into training, and then some. I won't let swivers like that Elwin push me, or anyone else around. If you don't hear from me for a while, it's only because I may be too tired to pick up a quill. Or I ran into Elwin again and actually did end up in the dungeons this time. Ha!

- Talha

(PS - I promise I'm only joking about the dungeons.)

IMG_20200903_110403_403.jpg