[CLOSED] The Man Who Couldn't Be A Pirate

"You have got to be joking."  For the upteenth time, the young hyur sighed, striding over to the cowering boy by the water's edge.  "All you 'ave to do is get in the damned boat, Kayne!  It's not that 'ard!"  He shouted to his brother as the space between them got smaller, and Darryn groaned as a noise - and a certain smell - struck him.  "Navigator preserve me, ye pissed yer pants again?  It's a bloody boat, Kayne!  Not a monster!"

"I can't 'elp it!  I'm scared!"  Kayne, now 10, shuddered and gripped the sides of his head.  "I don't feel good, Darryn.  I want to go 'ome."

Darryn sighed, roughly grabbing his younger brother by the collar of his shirt, hauling him to his feet.  "Enough!  I'm tired o' coverin' for ye, Kayne.  You get to tell ma an' pa that yer too scared to do get fishin'.  Now move!"  Darryn shoved the young boy ahead of him towards home before picking up the fishing gear on the beach.  It was the third time this month Kayne was chosen to help him, and each time the boy cowered like some scared cat in a rocker factory.  He was going to make sure his brother didn't live this down ...

~~~~~~~

Light shone into his eyes as Kayne pushed through the webs of sleep.  It was the same dreams again - nightmares really - of his younger days with his brother.  Throwing himself onto his side, the man - now in his mid-twenties - grabbed the pillow he laid on earlier, and threw it over his head.  He didn't want to get up.  He didn't want to go outside and face the fact he was a failure.  That nothing he seemed to do came to naught, and his purse was running low on gil.

The sounds of clattering pots and pans on the floor below heralded the string of curses from the landlady.  Kayne threw the pillow onto the floor, eyes looking out the window.  ((Must be near noontime.  Slept in late again.))  Slowly rolling to his side, and throwing his legs over the side of the bed, Kayne stretched out his back.  "Still sore.  Not surprised.  Was three against one anyway."  Slipping his feet into a pair of boots, Kayne made his way - gingerly - down the rickety stairs and into the small kitchen on the first floor.

"There ye are!  Thought ye were dead since ye slept in fer so damn long.  Here, 'elp me peel these vegetables."  Kayne flinched when a bundle of carrots came flying towards him, but he caught it seconds before the green tops slapped him in the face.  His landlady - Miss Barnett - pointed to the cutlery he was to use, and Kayne headed over to grab the peeler and a bowl.  Sliding onto a nearby stool at the counter, Kayne slipped one carrot from the bundle and started peeling.

" 'Ow's yer temple, lad?  Ye took a few good hooks to it."

Kayne grunted, putting the finished carrot to the side.  "The ale dulled most o' the pain last night, but I'm feelin' it now.  Gonna 'ave a right nasty bruise by now I think."  Another finished carrot was placed next to the first.  "Ye know ye could 'ave left me sleep it off there, Miss Barnett."  The woman held up her hand to stop him from saying any more.  The hyur sighed, shaking his head.  He was indebted to the elezen woman for letting his poor arse take board and help her for the past few months.  But his coin was getting low ...

"Yer frownin' again, Kayne.  That crease on yer fore'ead is gettin' deeper.  What's on yer mind?"  Miss Barnett sat on the stool next to him, placing a bowl of snap peas on the table to start cleaning.  Kayne felt his shoulders slump as he lifted his gaze to look at her.  "My money's runnin' low, an' I realized I won't be able to pay fer another month 'ere.  I don't know what to do if ye throw me out."  The elezen blinked a few times, then laughed.

"Kayne, ye silly lad.  I won't throw ye out!  But ye do make a fair point.  We need to find ye a job somewhere."  Her slim fingers made short work of the vegetables as she spoke.  "I know ye tried many things, but there 'as to be summat ye didn't try yet."

The pair of them sat thinking as they worked on their respective tasks.  Kayne had tried many jobs before; learning the ways of thaumaturge had him kicked out when he set a house on fire (it was put out soon after), trying his hand at conjury had him only cause more pain to the patients in his care, and just thinking about how he failed miserably when trying to learn the use of a bow made heat rush to his cheeks.  "What else could there be?  Word got around about me, Miss Barnett.  Who wants to give this failed pirate a chance?"

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond

The pair sat in silence as they continued to clean the vegetables before them.  Kayne brought up a good point.  It didn't take long before word started spreading around Limsa about him and all the mishaps he had created.  But Miss Barnett wasn't about to give up.  Slamming her palm down on the counter, the elezen stood from her seat.  "I got an idea!  Ye wait right 'ere, lad.  Be right back."  And with that, Kayne watched his landlady walk out the back door of the kitchen.  Shrugging, he went back to peeling the carrots one by one, making a neat pile on the counter.

*SLAM*

Kayne nearly fell off his stool as a battered axe was dropped on the counter before him.  Swearing loudly, heart pounding in his chest, he stared at the weapon confused.  "Miss Barnett!  Ye scared me 'alf to death!"  His landlady rolled her emerald eyes at him, then motioned towards the axe.  "This was me pa's weapon back when 'e ran with th' Bloody Jackals.  Group be long gone by now, so's it been sittin' in me shed all these years.  Still in good shape."  With little effort, Miss Barnett hefted the axe over her right shoulder, giving Kayne a grin.  "Think ye can 'andle this 'ere lass?  She's a bit rough around th' edges, but she will do 'er duty as fine as any other blade out there."

Kayne eyed the elezen a few moments before carefully slipping from his seat and moving beside Miss Barnett.  Holding out his right hand, the elezen thrust the axe into it.  With a grunt, the hyur felt his arms and chest flex and move to compensate for the weapon he now held.  Surprisingly it was well balanced for a double handed weapon.  The blade was notched and pitted, but he could tell the edge was as sharp as Miss Bennett's wit.  Taking a few staps back from the counter, Kayne made to hold the axe out before him, swinging it carefully as one does to chop wood.

"No no, Kayne.  Let me show you 'ow to 'old 'er.  And yes, 'tis a 'er.  Me pa named th' axe Marigold.  Don't ask me why though."  Stepping over to Kayne, Miss Barnett began to fix his posture, setting his elbows to the right angle as well as his waist.  She would show the hyur how to swing the axe correctly as well as how to comfortably carry it on his shoulder.  The next few hours were filled with lessons in proper care of the axe; learning how to sharpen the axehead and maintain the wooden shaft.  By the time the sun began to set, Miss Barnett felt Kayne had a good basic grasp of her lessons.  As the two sat down to have dinner, she spoke of her plan.

"What I was thinkin' lad, is ye give me a few coin to cover th' cost of me lessons an' material fer care.  Then ye make yer way into Limsa an' the Drownin' Wench.  Baderon takes care 'o new adventurin' folk there, an' 'e owes me a favor or two."  Miss Barnett slid a linen bag across the table they shared to Kayne.  "Put th' whetstones an' oils in 'ere.  I'll find ye more soft rags as well.  In th' mornin' I'll get ye practicin' sharpenin' Marigold so I know ye are doin' it right."  Miss Barnett took a sip of her drink and sat back in her chair when done.  "Now finish yer dinner and get yer arse out of me kitchen.  I got cleanin' to do."

Kayne knew his landlady's tone meant business.  Cleaning the last of the soup from his bowl and downing the last of his water - no ale was allowed in Miss Barnett's home - the hyur made his way up the rickety steps once again to his room, this time carrying a linen bag and Marigold.

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond

Resting Marigold carefully against the wall, Kayne went to the table at the side of his bed to set down the linen bag.  Miss Barnett promised to bring up clean rags, so might as well leave the bag in a place she can get to.  Sitting on the edge of his bed, the hyur took off his boots and laid back on the bed.  He never felt it necessary to change his clothes - he only had this one pair anyway - and Miss Barnett will just go and wash them when they got an odor to them.  Thinking about his landlady brought a grin to his face.  He didn't know much about her, but what he did know made her all the more interesting.

Her first name was Larisa, her parents moving from Gridania to Limsa Lominsa when she was a young girl.  Her pa worked in wood, and he gained an interest in ships at a young age with the dream of building and maintaining boats.  Though Miss Barnett gave little hints about her parents - her pa turning to piracy, her mother joining the ranks of the many cooks at the Bismark - she would never talk about herself.  She never would let Kayne call her by her first name either, which he found strange.  But she took him in, gave him food and chores to do, so why should he complain?

A twinge in his temple brought him out of those thoughts and back to reality.  How he wished for a large pint of ale to kill the pain - and memory - of yesterday's brawl at the Red Rooster Stead.  Oh he was good in a fight, but his words and too much alcohol fueled a heated argument on what made a man a pirate.  When one of the men called him a 'landlocked shite of a coward', Kayne made the first punch - a right hook to the other man's jaw.  Just thinking about the brawl made his fingers twitch and ache.

Rolling over onto his side, Kayne looked out the window.  The sun had already set, the moon now peeking between two trees to leave a silver glow across his floor.  ((Just think, this same time tomorrow, I could have a job))  He felt the grin slowly spread across his face before a yawn made his jaw crack.  Settling comfortably on his pillow - one arm crooked under it - Kayne closed his eyes and dreamed of all the gil he would soon have in his pockets.

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond

The next morning, Kayne filled his belly with breakfast, gathered his gear, and bade Miss Barnett farewell before walking down the road to Limsa Lominsa.  Dawn was just breaking, leaving morning dew on the grass.  The tang of salt in the air was lighter than normal, and Kayne sensed a fair day for anyone on the water.  Even at this early hour there were people on the road though mainly merchants and their carts.  He could envision in his mind's eye that one day he would be guarding those merchants and his pace picked up.  It was a good bell or two before he would make it to the city gate, so he might as well enjoy the walk.

Miss Barnett told him much of what she wanted him to do in the city, mainly heading for the Drowning Wench.  Kayne had heard of the Adventurer's Guild that Baderon Tenfingers ran, but he never felt adventurers were necessary.  But now, it might be the only choice he has to get some coin.  He had already came to terms with the possibility of being unemployed, and that rankled him something fierce.  Though his landlady promised she would never kick him out of her house, Kayne felt as a man that he needed to be productive.

He was glad of the lessons from Miss Barnett as Marigold felt quite comfortable on his shoulder, as if the axe belonged there.  Kayne made sure to have all the necessary items for taking care of his weapon in the linen bag that found a home in his knapsack.  He didn't known much in the way of belongings - when he left home he wasn't given much to take - so the rest of his knapsack was filled with some rations, a tin canteen, a set of fresh clothes, and his coin purse.  After giving his landlady the coin she asked for, Kayne counted no more than ten gil to his name.  He needed to make it last, so no carriage ride to the city for him.

The sight of the Zephyr Gate looming before him pulled him from his thoughts.  He had been to Limsa Limsa many times before, but this time seemed different to Kayne.  He felt butterflies form in his stomach as his long strides took him through the gatedoors and down the stonelined ramp into Bulwark Hall and the city proper.  ((You can do this, man.  You came this far))

TBC

The Drowning Wench was just as busy as any other day.  Kayne weaved his way around patrons, waitstaff, and what he surmised to be adventurers walking towards the tavern's exit.  He had to push back the urge to sit and order a pint or two.  He was here on business, and straightened his spine.  He had met Baderon a few times before, so there was no difficulty finding the pirate turned barkeep behind the decorative bar at the back of the tavern.  A sign was carved with the Lominsan flag on it, and there were fliers and posts of all shapes and sizes on a bulletin board nearby.  Kayne paused just a momnet to make sure he had Miss Barnett's introduction letter for Baderon ready in hand.  ((Courage, man.  You've waited your whole life for a chance like this!))

"Evenin' there, lad.  What can Baderon do fer ye today?"  The older hyur behind the counter greeted Kayne with a smile and a welcoming demeanor.  Kayne looked around at the many books and trophies behind Baderon before holding out the letter to the man.  Baderon raised a brow, but took the letter, unfolding it to read its contents.  "Ah, an' 'ow is Miss Barnett doin', lad?  Me family an' 'ers go back a few years."

'Ah, Miss Barnett is well.  She let me rent a room in 'er 'ouse these past few months.  Cannae really complain.  Food in me belly an' a roof o'er me 'ead."  Kayne told the truth as his landlady did more from him in a few months than his own family did in a few years.  Baderon nodded at his answer, motioning to the letter once more.  "Good, good.  She says ye be lookin' fer some work.  Now I cannae give ye just any job ye see on our board there, but there is somethin' I can do."  Placing the letter down, Baderon slid a book over before him and opened it.  With one finger the older hyur spun the pages to face Kayne.  "First, ye need tae sign yer name in th' registar here.  That way there be a record of ye for future use."

Kayne nodded, picking up the offered pen and scrawled his name on a blank line.  Baderon spun the book back around looking at the page as if putting Kayne's name and signature to memory.  Once that was done, the older hyur took out a map and held it out to Kayne.  "Now Kayne, 'ere's what ye are to do.  This map 'ere shows th' city o' Limsa Lominsa and all th' stores an' aetherytes.  Yer first task is to learn th' lay o' th' city.  There be many places that will be important in yer day to day business as an' adventurer.  Once ye do that, then come back an' see me.  Got that, lad?"

Kayne took the offered map, unfurling it to look it over.  Even though he had visited the city many times, he had no idea some of the shops and areas listed on the map even existed!  "Aye, I'll come back when I'm done.  Thank ye, Balderon!"

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond

Liminsa Lominsa was much larger than he expected - given Kayne really only visited the taverns when he came to the city.  Not only was there an entire section of the city dedicated to trade, but there were also shops tucked in many small corners around the middle of the thoroughfares.  Kayne used the time to not only become familiar with Limsa Lominsa, but to also make notes on the map he was given.  Each aetheryte he came across was attunted to and marked down.  Each shop was given a symbol with a notation on what kind of shop it was.  The guilds for culinarians, armorsmiths, and blacksmiths were noted - though the one for the fishing guild was given a big X over it.

It was near noontime when Kayne made it back to the Drowning Wench.  Heading over to the Adventurer's Guild counter, he waved to Baderon as the older hyur was just finishing up speaking with someone.  "Ah!  Yer back, Kayne.  'Ow did ye find th' city?"  Balderon reached under the counter as he spoke, bringing out a small glass and brown bottle.  Pouring the liquid into the glass, the older hyur passed it to Kayne who drank it down greedily - he didn't realize how parched he was until now!

"Amazin'!  There be more than just taverns an' gamblin' dens."  Kayne grinned, feeling the heat from the drink flow to his stomach.  "I e'vn took th' liberty to make marks o' important places on th' map ye gave me."  Kayne paused, a moment of realization coming to him.  "Oh, I didn' ask if I could do that.  Er, sorry, Baderon."

Baderon shook his head, waving his hand in a dismissive gesture.  "Yer fine, lad.  Got plenty more where that came from.  Now, iffin' ye feel like ye got a good look at th' city, 'ere is what ye need to do next."  Asking for Kayne's map, Baderon pointed to two places on it.  "First, ye want to 'ead on over to th' East 'Awkers' Alley an look fer a bloke by th' name o' Swozblaet.  'E knows much an' more about th' markets 'ere in Limsa Lominsa, an' iffin ye want to make gil, ye want to learn about 'em."  Baderon paused a moment, tapping the counter with a finger as he became lost in thought.  "Ah!  Me almost fergot."  Reaching into his pocket, the older hyur pulled out a rusty looking object.  "When ye go to speak with Swozblaet, give 'im this.  Don' be wonderin' what 'tis.  A joke between me an' 'im."  Kayne held out his hand and took the object, shrugging as he did so.  It wasn't his place to ask questions about such things.

"Now," Baderon continued, "ye are then goin' to 'ead on up to th' Marauder's Guild right 'ere.  It also be called th' Coral Tower.  There ye want to talk to Blauthota who will get ye signed up there."  Filling Kayne's glass one more time, the older hyur watched the young man drink up before Balderon made a shooing gesture.  "Now git along.  Much an' more fer me to do now.  Just don' be a stranger, eh?"

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond

Gazing up at the Coral Tower, Kayne swallowed hard.   He wasn't a very courageous man, but by the Twelve did his knees tremble.  ((All I have to do is cross that threshold.  Just move, damnit!))  Kayne cursed his nerves, clenching his fists hard enough to feel nails dig into palms.  ((One foot at a time))  Doing just that, the young hyur pushed forward and through the main door to the Marauder's Guild.

The sounds of shouts and grunts echoed around him, steel clanging against steel ringing through his ears.  Men and women from all races sparred and exercised with those instructed.  Kayne couldn't help but stare at the size of some of the people there and how they held their axes confidently.

"Can I help you, lad?"  A voice came from his left, and Kayne turned to be greeted by a female roegadyn.   She was a head or so taller than he, and it took all this willpower to not stare at her --

"A-aye.  M'name be Kayne Allond.  Baderon told me to ead over 'ere.  'E feels I can train as a marauder."

The woman raised a brow, looking Kayne over from head to toe.  "Well, we've trained skinnier lads than you here.  Follow me."  The roegadyn motioned for Kayne to follow her, and the two headed towards a desk which the woman sat behind.  "Take a seat, lad.  Let me tell you about our order before you really make up your mind."  As Kayne sat, the woman - who introduced herself as Blauthota - began to tell the history behind the Marauder's Guild and the profession in general.  He sat and listened, finding the history quite fascinating.  Any questions Kayne came up with, Blauthota happily answered.

A good bell or two passed before Blauthota realized the time and chuckled.  "Well Kayne, you seem quite interested in our order.  Do you still wish to become a Marauder after all you learned?  Be aware that training with us won't be easy, and you will be pushed to surpass many limits of your body."  Blauthota opened a registar and turned to a blank page.  Kayne nodded his head.  "Aye!  I want nothin' more than to be a marauder!"

"Good lad.  Now, there is just a few things here to fill out."  Blauthota then began the process of interviewing Kayne and getting his information.  It would be used to help find the right instructor and training level to start at.  As well as for next of kin should anything happen.

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond

Kayne stood before a large roegadyn who paced back and forth in front of him.  He was in line with other would-be marauders, and today was the first day of training for them all.  The large roegadyn - whose name was Blitnzfyun - eyed each of them as he continued to pace, meaty hands behind his back.  "So, this is what they give me to work with today.  A sorry lot the whole of you.  But I'll make something of you, oh my the Navigator I will!"  Stopping his pacing, Blitnzfyun spun to point a sausage thick finger at the miqo'te next to Kayne.  "You!  What is your name!"

"N'benwa, sir."  The female miqo'te shrunk back from the powerful voice directed at her, which made the roegadyn scowl.

"Speak up!  What is your name, meat?!"

"N'BENWA, SIR!!"

Kayne flinched at the near shriek from the miqo'te at his left.  His ears will be ringing for a few bells definatly.  Blitnzfyun grunted, starting to pace once more as he spoke.  "You all are meat to me.  Slabs of walking, talking, meat.  Meat that I have been tasked with shaping into soldiers.  You will sweat.  You will ache.  And you might cry.  You will hate me.  You will want to hit me with your axe."  He paused, turning to address the line of recruits.  "All that anger.  All that frustration and misery ... you will learn to channel it and use it against your foes.  I will not go soft on you.  I will push you to your limit and then some."  Blitnzfyun crossed his muscular arms across his broad chest.  "Every man and woman that I have trained in the Coral Tower has come out with a sharpened axe and a fire in their belly to do good in this damn world."

Kayne watched as his instructor turned to head to a desk at the far wall of the classroom they were in.  The roegadyn opened a drawer and pulled out a few small books.  "Now, all of you take a seat.  I'll be passing out some reading material.  Today we are going to be learning the parts of an axe and how to properly maintain them.  While in this classroom, you are to use proper names and terms for gear.  No slang or abbreviations, understood?"

Kayne swallowed hard, hiding his nervousness as he turned to find an empty seat to sit on.  ((This is gonna be a long day))

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond

The bells had just struck the seventh evening hour when Kayne collapsed onto a bed.  He was lucky enough to share a small barracks room with another new recruit, a male lalafel named Linsa Alinsi.  Everything on him ached, though his head hurt the most.  He had never read or studied so much in his life, and his ears still rang from all the shouting his instructor did when a question was answered incorrectly.  Stifling a groan, Kayle rolled onto his side and felt something stab him in the thigh.  Instinctively reaching for his knapsack - which he kept on even while laying there - his fingers grazed something.  Feeling what it was, his eyes snapped open before a slew of oaths spilled from his lips.

"I fergout about th' damned thing fer Swozblaet!"

Jumping out of bed - well more like grunting and clenching his teeth as he rolled and slid from the bed - Kayne limped to the door and made his way out of the Coral Tower and towards Hawker's Alley.  He didn't know much about the markets, so Kayne prayed that they were still open and the man he needed to see was still there.  Too tired to take the aetherytes in the city, Kayne had to walk down many streets and stairs to reach his destination.  The lanterns all around the city were slowly coming to life, along with the crowds headed to the many extertainment venues that were opening.

His eyes scanned along the side of the market, and Kayne let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding,  Swozblaet was still there.  Kayne had seen the roegadyn numerous times, so he at least knew who the man was.  Striding over - with a limp still - Kayne pulled the object Baderon had given him, and gave a wave to Swozblaet.  "Ahoy Swozblaet!  I 'ope ye 'ave a few moments fer something."  With that said, Kayne held out the object to the roegadyn.  The man raised a brow before taking the thing, then chuckled.

"I see that Baderon is ever the joker.  Still won't let me live that small mistake down all these years.  Hm.  Well, thank you, lad.  Is there anything else?"

Kayne blinked a moment, his thoughts halting.  ((What else was I supposed to do here?))  "Oh!  I remember now.  Baderon wanted ye to tell me about th' markets.  I been in the city many times, but never really came 'round 'ere much."

Swozblaet nodded, slipping the object into his breast pocket.  "Of course.  I have a few minutes before I needs leave for a meeting.  Follow me, and I'll give you a small tour."

TBC

Edited by Kayne Allond